• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Value of Trading into a Mexico Timeshare Property if You Have to Purchase the All Inclusive Anyway?

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
What, if any, value is there trading through Interval Intl into certain Mexico timeshare properties if you have to purchase the all inclusive package anyway and the cost then becomes the same as if you booked the resort through the property itself or a travel agent?

One of the reasons I purchased a Marriott TS (have both points and a week which I can either convert to more points, use as is, trade into intervalmintl or get Marriott rewards points) was not only to use the Marriott properties but to be able to trade into higher quality resorts at a cost of no more than an exchange fee in areas Marriott does not have a vacation club property such as Mexico and other Caribbean destinations.

Would appreciate any feedback as perhaps I am missing something as it seems like using the interval trade and then having to "purchase" the AI misses the whole point of TS.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO, there's zero value. Granted, I only have access to RCI via my Hilton membership, but generally I'm not going to spend/waste 3400 or 4800 points (equal to anywhere from $750-800 depending on my Maintenance fees), plus pay RCI the $240, plus pay a resort another $125/person/day fee. (or more, and very rarely, less).

It's FAR cheaper, IMO, to just book directly or via cheapcaribbean or Orbits/Travelocity/Expedia in that case, IMO.

That's why I only exchange into NON-Mandatory AI in Mexico (notably the Vidanta resorts). Although Hilton does sometimes have availability for the Fiesta Americana resorts with optional AI (except for Cozumel for some reason, it's mandatory).

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
"That's why I only exchange into NON-Mandatory AI in Mexico (notably the Vidanta resorts)"

However, are there really the "top flight" real, Marriott + level 5 star resorts which are Interval Int'l traders that fit into this category (non-Mandatory AI) in Mexico (specifically Cancun/Rivera Maya area)???

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
Over the years we have enjoyed being able to trade our Marriott Ko Olina lockoff for one, and even two bedroom units in Mexico. But now Interval has started charging an 'upgrade' fee. So we can still make those trades, but now we have to pay for it...not happy ;-(

Steve

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Be
"That's why I only exchange into NON-Mandatory AI in Mexico (notably the Vidanta resorts)"

However, are there really the "top flight" real, Marriott + level 5 star resorts which are Interval Int'l traders that fit into this category (non-Mandatory AI) in Mexico (specifically Cancun/Rivera Maya area)???

Interval Int'l gets you Vidanta Grand Luxxe . Visit the Vidanta website and see for yourself .
There is a $11 pp/pd resort fee for exchangers .

There are many on site restaurants if you do not wish to leave the resort .
Your room key / bracelet is used for charges , which you settle at checkout

Last edited:

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
My question really goes back to which non-AI resorts in Rivera Maya/Cancun can you trade into via Interval Intl and still experience the Marriott or better level quality?

Trading into the higher end all inclusive costs the same amount of money when it's said and done as if I booked it directly through the resort or travel agent.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I think the Villa del Palmar Cancun, which is actually a bit north of Cancun, trades with II, and has the AI as non mandatory in trades. AI is mandatory with getaways and extra vacations at this resort last time I looked. It is an opulent resort.

Bill

http://myuvci.com/villa-del-palmar-cancun/

rpennisi

Reaction score
My question really goes back to which non-AI resorts in Rivera Maya/Cancun can you trade into via Interval Intl and still experience the Marriott or better level quality?

Trading into the higher end all inclusive costs the same amount of money when it's said and done as if I booked it directly through the resort or travel agent.
T-Dot already wrote Grand Luxxe which I agree compares favorably and is non AI and trades on II.

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge

Of course it's personal opinion, but I'd put Westin Lagunamar and Royal Haciendas in that category. However. now that RH is AI for exchangers we won't go back there unless we rent from an owner, but when we traded in through II twice that was before the AI rule.

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is Vidanta Grand Luxe a top tier luxury resort?

Most definitely. I'd say it's even better than Marriott, but that's me. Very "ooh-la-la". haha
We try to get into GL whenever we can (not sure if II still has the 1-4 rule or not). SFX no longer has that restriction for Vidanta (but Vidanta is constantly changing it).

Also, it's $12/day/adult for the exchange resort fee for RCI/II (AFAIK) for the Vidanta resorts now. SFX is a flat $75 fee per room.

But if II is your only option, it's still not bad (unless like you're going with 4 adults, then that's $48/day * 7 = too much). Although considering the Grand Luxxe is top of the line....

If you're doing Riviera Maya, just make sure you're not exchanging into the Grand Luxxe Jungle (it's a new room type without deck and plunge pool). But I don't have access to II, so I cannot tell you what they have.

We've also stayed at the Grand Luxxe in Nuevo Vallarta as well. Just as nice (well mostly, the studios in Nuevo are a crap shoot if you get one with a kitchenette/living room or not). All the studios we've ever had at Riviera Maya have had kitchenette/living room in them.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the Villa del Palmar Cancun, which is actually a bit north of Cancun, trades with II, and has the AI as non mandatory in trades. AI is mandatory with getaways and extra vacations at this resort last time I looked. It is an opulent resort.

Bill

http://myuvci.com/villa-del-palmar-cancun/

Oh yeah, forgot about Villa del Palmar. Looks VERY nice.
Although we prefer to stay closer to Playa, but it's a very valid option for Cancun area.
Also, I think Raintree Club Regina or whatever (is it Club Raintree Regina?) in Cancun (at the bottom of hotel zone I believe) is also non-AI.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Oh yeah, forgot about Villa del Palmar. Looks VERY nice.
Although we prefer to stay closer to Playa, but it's a very valid option for Cancun area.
Also, I think Raintree Club Regina or whatever (is it Club Raintree Regina?) in Cancun (at the bottom of hotel zone I believe) is also non-AI.

Raintree Club Refina - Cancun
It is non AI / We stayed in 2015 via RCI - not sure if it trades in Interval's International
RCI 2662 - Raintree's Club Regina

has about 100 or less suites / nearer to airport / local bus across from end of driveway .
You can use gym etc at Westin Hotel that is across the driveway / next door

Similar to Grand Mayan - has full kitchen - walk in shower - hot tub on deck
( not sure of square footage ) We had a 1 bedroom suite / 2 bedrooms are lockoffs ( ie add a hotel room )
There are some studios with partial kitchen

Since I have never stayed at a Marriott TS I am not sure of the comparison .

The Royals are non AI if rented from an owner . They are fixed week ownership . There are rentals on TUG
If you only need a studio with partial kitchen - there are some good deals from owners who end up not needing the lock off side
Often they show up in the last 90 days .

I believe Westin Lagunamar is non AI and would be an II trade
There is a TUG thread with lots of info

Last edited:

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
It is non AI / We stayed in 2015 via RCI - not sure if it trades in Interval's International
RCI 2662 - Raintree's Club Regina

has about 100 or less suites / nearer to airport / local bus across from end of driveway .
You can use gym etc at Westin Hotel that is across the driveway / next door

Similar to Grand Mayan - has full kitchen - walk in shower - hot tub on deck
( not sure of square footage ) We had a 1 bedroom suite / 2 bedrooms are lockoffs ( ie add a hotel room )
There are some studios with partial kitchen

Since I have never stayed at a Marriott TS I am not sure of the comparison .

/QUOTE]

Club Regina in Cancun is not comparable to a Marriott. I enjoyed my stay there because it's close to Punta Nizuc and snorkeling. But I don't like the ambience very much, the pools are just okay, nothing special, and I'd say keep looking if you want something more "luxe".

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
QUOTE - Carol C - Club Regina is not comparable to a Marriott . I enjoyed my stay there because it is close to Punta Nizuc and snorkeling ...
the pools are just okay . nothing special , and I'd say keep looking if you want something more "luxe" ...

I agree on the pools . We liked it because it was smaller , easy to come and go and non AI .
Beach and ocean was fine .

We had seen Club Regina in PV , since it is next door to the PV Marina Mayan Palace . PV Club Regina probable has twice the rooms and the pools are much larger .

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes only interested in Luxury properties (Marriott, Starwood equivalent and better) only in Cancun/Rivera Maya which trades through Interval Intl and are not all inclusive at all or the value of adding an all inclusive through a timeshare exchange is substantially less than if one just booked the all inclusive resort directly through the resort or a travel agent.

Thanks.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The Westin Lagunamar is top tier on par with Marriott, probably even a bit better. The Royal Resorts may be a close second, perhaps only because they are older properties. Though the Royal Sands is mandatory AI for exchangers now.

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think I will take a look at the Westin Laguna Mar based on your feedback. I have previously stayed at the Karisma Azul Fives, beautiful property (however AI) [ purchased via travel agent]. If I could figure out a way to trade into there, even with the AI, so long as it was significantly less than if I just purchased the week from the resort or a travel agent, i'd consider it. Otherwise, its not worth the Interval Trade

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
Hi NYFLTRAVELER,

I have listed below the resorts that Interval has listed as non-AI. I don't know how fancy the resorts are, but if you go to Interval's page of the resort, there is a link for each resorts website.... You could check them out and see if they suit your taste.

Mexico

Cancun
Cancun Clipper Club
Club Sunset Laguna Suites Golf and Spa
Imperial Fiesta Club at Casa Maya
MIA Hotel Cancun
NYX Hotel Cancun
The Royal Cancun
The Royal Caribbean
The Royal Islander
Villa del Palmar Cancun Beach Resort and Spa
Westin Lagunamar
WIVC Coral Mar

Riviera Maya
A-nah Playa del Carmen
Acanto Boutique Hotel and Residences
Artisan 5a Avenida
Artisan Riviera Maya
Bel Air Collection Resort and Spa Xpu Ha
Club Sunset St Martin Boutique Hotel
The Bliss Jungle
The Grand Bliss Riviera Maya
Grand Luxxe Jungle Riviera Maya
Grand Luxxe Residence Club R.M
The Grand Mayan R.M
Mayan Palace, R.M
MIA at Riviera Maya
The Palm at Playa
Paseo del Sol
Porto Bello Grand Marina
Porto Bello Marina and Villas

https://www.intervalworld.com/web/cs?a=1500

rpennisi

Reaction score
As an aside, I am glad that II is distinguishing RM Grand Luxxe as GL Residence Club and GL Jungle. Those II members who book GL for RM should know that the difference is large. The Residence Club is the typical GL and the Jungle GL is a conversion of unfinished Mayan Palace buildings into GL units (one bedroom suites with no large balcony and dipping pool).

NYFLTRAVELER

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can one determine the cost of the all inclusive add on through Interval so as to determine whether it's less expensive to trade in with Interval and just purchase the add-on or just book the stay at the all inclusive property through a travel agent and forego the trade?

Perhaps during certain times of year it's more beneficial (financially) to trade in and add-on the AI and at other times more beneficial (financially) just to book the stay at the all inclusive property through a travel agent and forego the trade?

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
How can one determine the cost of the all inclusive add on through Interval so as to determine whether it's less expensive to trade in with Interval and just purchase the add-on or just book the stay at the all inclusive property through a travel agent and forego the trade?

Same answer as in the Caribbean thread. Just click through the II exchange or getaway process as though you want to book the week. It will then show you what the AI costs are. At that point you can just back out without completing the exchange or purchase.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I had an II Exchange certificate that I let expire (two or three times actually, because they kept extending it) because all I could see were AIs. I have zero interest in timeshare AIs because IMO it defeats the beauty of timeshares, in that they come with kitchens (so that I can make my own food). I don't like to eat out every meal, for so many reasons.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
As an aside, I am glad that II is distinguishing RM Grand Luxxe as GL Residence Club and GL Jungle. Those II members who book GL for RM should know that the difference is large. The Residence Club is the typical GL and the Jungle GL is a conversion of unfinished Mayan Palace buildings into GL units (one bedroom suites with no large balcony and dipping pool).

Ron - I found a floor plan for the RM GL jungle suites . It looks like the floor plan has a separate bedroom and a kitchen area and living room area . I cannot find square footage .
I am guessing that it is about the same as a MP 2 bedroom (lockoff format) and would be in the 1200 sq foot range .
I am assuming Vidanta's designers / architects eliminated the lock off -hotel room to make a larger suite and added Luxxe finishes & furnishings . What could not be added was
the large balcony & dipping pool since the building outline was already built / framed but not finished .

If you or anyone else can confirm or add details - please do .

I assume GL Jungle could be a decent choice for a Intervals International non AI exchange that the OP was looking for - as long as it is understood that it is not the same as GL Residence Club.