TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Value of club combos along with DRI

Discussion in 'Diamond Resorts International / Embarc Resorts' started by mohater, Jun 10, 2018.

1. mohater

mohater Guest

Hi Folks,

Stumbled across this after searching for the "value" of DRI.

We were in Hawaii for a family trip, attended the meeting and signed up for the Hawaii collection with DRI. Some family members intervened and pushed us to cancel within the grace period, so we did. The sales reps have been pushing the sampler package hard as a "trial" into the collection, normal $3,995 price that is posted here.

One thing we were really interested was the club combos (more interested in combos than the DRI access...). Wanted to pose the question of how much value did people really derive from the club combos.

So, any folks here using it? Getting the expected value from it?

Thanks,

2. bobpark56

bobpark56 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Good question. And if you are using Club Combinations, how are you using it?

3. DanZale2000

DanZale2000 TUG Member

Club Combinations allows a DRI member to assign a non-DRI timeshare to the Diamond Club in exchange for DRI points. Say I own a 2BR unit, week 31 at Vistana Resort in Orlando. Diamond would give me 8,500 points, if I buy 4,250 points (50% of the Club Combo points). I would then have 12,750 to use in the DRI Club. But I must have a minimum of 15,000 points to qualify, so I need to buy 6,500 points (unless I already own some Diamond points).

I have read in online forums many comments by people who like the program. The value of this program depends on the quality of your non-Diamond timeshare. In my case I give up my Vistana unit and get 8,500 points. With those points I can get a two bedroom at Mystic Dunes, but I can not get a two bedroom unit at Polo Towers, Sedona Summit, nor Scottsdale Links. If, however, I deposit my unit with II I can get any of these locations. If my timeshare is a ski week at Steamboat Springs or a week at Kaanapali Ocean Resort, then those 8,500 Diamond points will not get me anything close to what I'm giving up.

So, if your timeshare doesn't trade well in II, then Club Combo offers greater value. But if your timeshare trades well in II, Club Combo might not be so good.

4. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    We own 7,500 DRI Hawaiian Collection Points bought from DRI. As part of the contract we are part of Club Combination/Club Select. We can give DRI a 1 bedroom Worldmark Red Season and get 6,500 DRI Points. We can also give DRI a 2 Bedroom Worldmark Red Season and get 8,500 DRI Points. So each year we can trade 2 Worldmark Red Weeks and get 15,000 DRI Points. We carefully researched all Worldmark 1 bedroom and 2 bedroom Red Season Resorts. We figured out we could use 14,000 Worldmark Points to get 15,000 DRI Points. Even if we do not do the trades the possibility of the trades count for DRI Loyalty so we are Silver. The weeks traded to DRI are then available for Members to use either for DRI Points or Cash, depending on your status.

We have both traded in Worldmark Week Reservations for DRI Points and we have taken advantage by renting weeks traded in by other Members. If you are not part of Club Combination/Club Select you can still have access to the weeks traded in but it is a cash Transaction.

5. mjc775

mjc775 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Diamond, Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk
    We purchased 8500 DRI points, and our prior ownership at Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk was given a value of 6500 points - thus putting us at the 15,000 Silver level. We’ve been DRI owners for about 3 years and have yet to exchange our Wyndham “week” for 6500 extra DRI points. But we frequently take advantage of some of the Silver perks - particularly the Loyalty Accommodation Upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanZale2000 likes this.
  6. mohater

mohater Guest

Sorry folks, wasn't clear on my initial post:

I was referring to having access to the club combos without giving something up (someone who has no other time shares and wants to use the access in the club combos for non DRI access). Some of you mentioned benefits, could some post any specific cash prices they paid and what they got vs what it was valued at in the club combos?

Thanks!

7. DanZale2000

DanZale2000 TUG Member

When owners of non-Diamond timeshare deposit them, it is Club Combinations. When Diamond member reserve these units it is Club Select. I've no idea why. Here it an image of current availability for part of August.

[edit] the image doesn't seem to zoom for me in the TUG viewer. But I can save it to a local drive and then is zooms. Sorry for that.

Attached Files:

mohater likes this.
  8. mohater

mohater Guest

Thanks for this.

Looks like pretty solid cash deals for one week (those are all weekly prices, right?).

9. LanceM

LanceM Guest

Resorts Owned:
    None
    We just completed the first stay on the sampler, and when I checked, the Club Select (aka Club Combos) was available on my account for reservations. The prices that I was able to check seem quite good. Selection is naturally limited the closer you get to arrival date. But this is one of the biggest reasons I went for the sampler, the sales pitch that Club Combinations (actually Club Select) would be For Life (I have seen that others were promised the same).
    My question is to someone who has finished the sampler without owning DRI, did you keep the Club Select or is this just another lie to entice people into a purchase?

10. nuwermj

nuwermj TUG Member

Yes, Club Select cash prices are generally very good.

I very much doubt you were offered Club Combo with the Sampler. Club Combo is where The DRI Club trades points for the use rights of a non-DRI timeshare. If you own perpetual points and enter into a Club Combo agreement, that will last as long as you remain a member of The DRI Club.

I also doubt DRI will let you use your Sampler points for Club Select reservations. (Club Select is where Club members can reserve the inventory deposited by Club Combo members. Club Combo is the supply side, Club Select is the demand side.) Maybe they will let you make a cash reservation, I'm not sure. But the Sampler requires a sales presentation at every stay. Therefore, you can only stay at a resorts where DRI has a sales office.

If you do have access to Club Select inventory with the Sampler, for sure that will terminate when the Sampler terminates.