TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  7. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Vacation Village free exchange week with RCI

Discussion in 'Exchanging' started by Eric B, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Massanutten, Wyndham Bali Hai, Grand Luxxe
    Vacation Village has an offer going now for a free (no points/TPU) week stay at one of their resorts. I just got the email of the offer this morning. Cost is just the exchange fee if booked before 6/3/2018 for travel through 4/30/2019. I got a couple weeks in Weston from the last one they ran.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  2. AwayWeGo

AwayWeGo TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
    We snagged a Vacation Village At Parkway "A" unit last time, which we used for our January 2018 annual timeshare vacation.

If we owned more than 1 timeshare unit in that chain, do you think we could snag more than 1 complimentary reservation ?

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    The fine print on the email, which is really from RCI, says it’s one-time use only per member account. We got two weeks on the last one because we have both a points unit and a weeks unit, so they’re in different RCI accounts. (We do only pay membership fees on the points account, though, since they’re associated with each other.) Also, they did wind up extending the reservation and use windows last time - no guarantee they will this time, of course.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  4. AwayWeGo

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
    Just now signed up for Jan. 12-19, 2019 -- "B" or "C" unit at Vacation Village At Parkway. (RCI person said all January 2019 VVP availability for the special offer is 1BR partial-kitchen units -- no 2BR reservations, no "A" units.)

It's still a great deal. We can't get a week at Motel 6 or Super 8 for $159.

Is this a great country or what ?

Eric B likes this.
  5. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    I received the email too. You have to call. I would imagine that although the dates go through 4/30/2019, it would only apply to inventory that would cost under 9-11 tpu's in the first place. If someone calls and has their rci account open at the same time, please report back on which weeks (and their tpu values) are actually available for this promotion.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  6. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    I’m assuming this is just for owners?

AwayWeGo likes this.
  7. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sounds like about the right TPU level. We only got partial kitchen 1 BR weeks last time in Weston. Price was right, though!

AwayWeGo likes this.
  8. AwayWeGo

Resorts Owned:
    Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
    Owners at timeshares affiliated with Vacation Village At Parkway who are members of RCI.

9. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Not just Parkway, but any of the VV resorts.

AwayWeGo likes this.
  10. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    That’s what I thought.Thank you!

AwayWeGo likes this.
  11. NiteMaire

NiteMaire Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grand Château,
    The Colonies at Williamsburg
    Yep. I just signed up this month with my Colonies at Williamsburg (now dual affiliated with II and RCI) and received the extra week. Was hoping it was a yearly AC like I get with II, but reading these comments makes me think otherwise.

FWIW, Colonies and Plantation were just II until very recently. Now, (existing) owners can choose either/both. Got a promo 2 years for 1 so figured I'd give RCI a look.

Sent from my sweet Samsung Note 8 using Tapatalk :)

AwayWeGo likes this.
  12. tschwa2

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Keep an eye out on your account. I get a yearly AC from VV. It isn't as good as this presumably one time offer. The AC is only good within 45 days of check in and is restricted to lower tpu matches and requires the regular now $230 exchange fee but can be used at VV and non VV properties. I don't usually use it because RCI sales usually has similar type inventory available sometimes earlier for the same or lower fee than that exchange fee (sometimes there are $199 sales on straight out rentals).

AwayWeGo likes this.
  13. youppi

youppi TUG Member

The new VV resort in Orlando (The Berkley Orlando #DJ50) is now available

AwayWeGo likes this.
  14. ttlax

ttlax TUG Member

Will Colonies remain dual affiliated with II and RCI or will it be RCI only in short order? From what I read, they said any II reservations or deposits would be honored but it sounded like owners would be losing II in the near future. I sure hope not.

15. tschwa2

Resorts Owned:
    Generally with a deeded non point timeshare (vs a membership/club) once it is affiliated with either RCI or II it remains so, even if the developer or board is trying to funnel owners toward the current preferred exchange company. What would be even better is if II would offer 2 for 1 memberships to try to entice owners to stay with II vs trying RCI.

16. ttlax

ttlax TUG Member

Thanks, good to know. I love II and would be crushed if we lost it with the Colonies.

17. NiteMaire

Resorts Owned:
    I called owner services after I received the mailer and they said existing owners can use either/both. Would expect we could continue with II indefinitely.

I too love II. I will say VV properties (can only speak to Plantation and Colonies) seem to punch above their weight relative to trading power....especially as I continue to read tuggers comments about how overbuilt Williamsburg is. I'm not complaining. Very satisfied with the trades I've made over the years.

18. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    My experience w/VV at Massanutten is that the punch above their weights in RCIas well. We aren’t in II, though, and it does look like there are some better options there, but you can do well with RCI if you’re persistent.

19. NiteMaire

Resorts Owned:
    I get 48 TPU (4th of July week) for $800MF. That's $16.67 per TPU. I thought a good ratio was undear $10 and some phenomenal ones could be had for $5 (though no one will say which TS those are). Is $16.67 per TPU poor, fair, good, great?

20. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I do better in RCI points, getting 137,000 for an MF ~$800. That works out to .6 cents or so per point which is good. I don’t do as well on the weeks side, but have been using the week I have that’s not in points to trade in SFX or elsewhere. Most of the trades I do in RCI on the weeks side is using extra “stub” TPUs Massanutten gives as “trading power boosts” to combine with other TPUs for paying MFs early. Taking that into account, the return per MF $ at Massanutten is darn good.

I think all I’m getting on the weeks side is 15 TPU for a $400 MF, or about $27/TPU, which isn’t so hot. It’s fairly simple to compensate if you look at how the various options interact with an eye for efficiency.

21. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

I think it's more like $15 is good, with $10 being phenomenal.

$5/TPU doesn't sound realistic to me. The TPU scale only goes up to 60 (DVC type stuff). I have a hard time seeing a TS like that having $300/MF.

Often the best TPU generators are part of lockout units if you just look at $/TPU, but with changes to the combine fee that has become less economic, imo.

22. NiteMaire

Resorts Owned:
    Thanks. I may start a different thread in the next few days after reading some more (start traveling home today).

23. bookworm

bookworm TUG Member

We have a July Colonies week as well that will bring 48 tpu’s, but we have been happy with II for exchanging. I called the Colonies staff too and was told that we can definitely continue with II.

24. Steve Fatula

Steve Fatula TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Desert Springs Villas II 2BR
    Playa Andaluza Silver Seafront 2BR
    Destinations Points
    Does Vacation Villages distinguish in any way shape or form between a resale buyer and a developer purchaser? If so, in what way(s)? Or, does a resale buyer have any and all capabilities a developer owner has?

25. Eric B

Eric B TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    I don’t think they distinguish between resale and developer purchases in general, although there are some additional perks you could arrange for a developer purchase. For example, they have an upgraded RCI program called Vacation Village Plus, Preferred or something like that, which is similar to the RCI Platinum but includes reduced exchange fees for VV resorts.

They give one or two extra vacation weeks to developer purchasers every year through RCI, good for booking 2-45 days out, but several resale purchasers have posted that they get them with theirs.

At Massanutten, they have a “gold card” that allows use of the resort when you aren’t staying there, too. Might be some discounts, too. Not enough to make up for the higher cost, though.