• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation (Travel) credit card perks - airline favorites?

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Hopefully this thread is OK on the Marriott page, as I'm interested in airlines for traveling to MVC locations.

Hi all,
I've been thinking about a credit card with airline perks for traveling to the MVC locations. I have also been doing some research, including a bunch of reading on ThePointsGuy site, and I am still a little confused. There is not a card that seems to be the no brainer, but maybe that doesn't exist. Since you all are doing the same type of travel that I am doing, I figured I would ask you what you do. Accommodations are covered by MVC and Bonvoy, so the next big expense is airline costs. What do you do for points/miles?

Here's what I'm thinking:
Most of our credit cards are directly related to travel, in some way.
  • Marriott Rewards Premier (black card): We use this one to gain Bonvoy points, but is not currently one of our primary cards. The points can be converted to miles, at 3:1.
  • Disney Rewards Premier: We use this when we have a Disney trip coming up, to get Disney dollars. We have been using as our primary lately, as we have a Disney cruise coming early next year. No help with airlines here. Probably a card we would get rid of if we get another one.
  • Costco Visa: We use this one for gas, Costco purchases, and Costco travel (like the cruise), to get cash back once per year, in Feb. Cash yes, but not directly related to airfare. We get 5% back on Costco travel, but they don't offer air only travel.
  • Discover card: 2% cash back. We have not been using this card in a while, but may be useful as its cash back at each statement date.
What I have done some research on (the conversions noted are for airlines I think we would use):
  • CapitalOne Venture card: I only found it directly transfers to JetBlue, but was confusing as to whether you can convert at a lesser conversion rate to other airlines. $95 annual fee.
  • Chase Sapphire: Convert directly to JetBlue, Southwest, United, Virgin, British Airways. Or, use the Chase Ultimate Rewards portal to buy airfare (and other things) with your points and cash, but at a lesser conversion rate (8000 points for $100). $95 annual fee.
  • Citi Premier: convert directly to JetBlue and Virgin. Or, use the Citi ThankYou portal to get miles at a lesser conversion rate. $95 annual fee.
I also reviewed previous flights and expectations for future flights. Overall, Delta seems to be the carrier that would cover most of our airline travel, but not all. The others would be to smaller airports, usually through Southwest, and potentially more frequent (visiting family). I don't really love the Delta card, since it is an AMEX. Plus, it is for one carrier.

So, for all of you that have already gone through this, what did you come up with as the best solution, and how has it turned out? If it matters, our home airport is RDU. We never carry credit card balances.

Thank you!

deniseh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Grande Vista, Marriott Destination Points
We signed up for a southwest card in January. We were in Las Vegas airport and the offer was for southwest miles and companion pass for the year after spending requirement met. Card also came with a $75 credit so seemed like a good deal. Flying to California this fall using southwest miles for me and the CP for my husband. May do another trip too since basically can fly for free.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
These are the cards I have. I’m using each of them based on different situations and have been benefiting a lot from each card. I don’t use any Airline card at all.

Citi:
1. Citi Premier: Mainly use for Travel and gas related expense for 3x points. This card also enables to transfer pts to 10+ airlines for rest of my Citi cards. AF: $95.
2. Citi AT&T Access More: Online shopping 3x points. I use this card mainly for my business purchase since I pay a lot to my vendors using PayPal and it counts as 3x online spend. AF: $95, but offset with $10k annual spend.

Chase:
1. Marriott Bonvoy: Mainly for my lodge spends since I stay a lot at Marriott and also for my MVC MF. Only use this card for Marriott 6x pts. AF $95 offset by free night.
2. Freedom: Only use on 5x pts category.
3. Ink Preferred: Only use for my business shipping and advertising for 3x pts. AF $95, and it enables me to transfer pts to Chase airline partners.
4. Ink Cash: Use for Office supplies and phone bills for 5x. No AF
5. Ink Unlimited: All purpose card for 1.5x pts anywhere. No AF

Amex:
1. Blue Business Plus: All purpose card with 2 pts anywhere. No AF
2. Amex Bonvoy: same as Chase Bonvoy, I use this to pay Starwood side of MF. AF $95 offset by FN.
3. Hilton Ascend: Applied for bonus and free nights offer and rarely used since. In my first year, I already received 3 FN certificate and 100k pts. I currently consider to upgrade to Aspire for additional benefits before canceling. Or I might keep Aspire if I decide to quit Marriott all together and bring my 100 nights each year to Hilton if Marriott keeps pissing me off.

BOA:
Cash reward card: only use for dining for 3x pts.

Last edited:

HDiaz1

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Panama City Beach, Wyndham Bali Hai Villas, Marriott Grand Chateau, Worldmark the Club.
Amex is my favorite for flying. You have some of the best if not the best airline transfer partners and Amex MR points are very easy to get.
My current setup is Amex gold and Amex business plus. My backup card is the southwest priority card (in case Amex is not accepted)

We easily earn enough points for 2-3 flights per year with this setup.

Amex top transfer partners-

Star Alliance
Air canada
Lifemiles
Ana
Singapore

Sky team
Delta
Air France / KLM
Virgin Atlantic

One world
British Airways
Iberia

JetBlue

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would second the Chase Sapphire RESERVE. It has been my most used card for the past couple years. Better earning rates than the Preferred (3x for all dining and travel (including paying timeshare maintenance fees) and a better redemption rate on the Ultimate Rewards portal (1.5x). I love being able to buy a ticket for any airline on the portal, and also find it particularly good deal for reserving and paying for rental cars. It has a hefty annual fee ($450), but it includes an automatic statement credit for the first $300 you spend every year for any travel (again, including maintenance fees!), so the net annual fee is only $150 and the 3x earning rates pay for that very quickly every year. It probably has the best general travel perks in the industry (lost luggage, trip delay, etc) including PRIMARY car rental insurance (most cards have secondary), a Priority Pass airport lounge membership, and your TSA PreCheck reimbursement every four years. I think it’s the best card out there for travelers.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I would second the Chase Sapphire RESERVE. It has been my most used card for the past couple years. Better earning rates than the Preferred (3x for all dining and travel (including paying timeshare maintenance fees) and a better redemption rate on the Ultimate Rewards portal (1.5x). I love being able to buy a ticket for any airline on the portal, and also find it particularly good deal for reserving and paying for rental cars. It has a hefty annual fee ($450), but it includes an automatic statement credit for the first $300 you spend every year for any travel (again, including maintenance fees!), so the net annual fee is only $150 and the 3x earning rates pay for that very quickly every year. It probably has the best general travel perks in the industry (lost luggage, trip delay, etc) including PRIMARY car rental insurance (most cards have secondary), a Priority Pass airport lounge membership, and your TSA PreCheck reimbursement every four years. I think it’s the best card out there for travelers.

+1 The Chase Reserve card is my go to card for mostly all my spending. I use the Costco Citi card for Costco spending.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
I tend to stick with just a handful of airlines and will rotate their cards periodically depending on 1. my travel plans, 2. their alliance members, and 3. to ensure I am eligible for periodic sign-up bonuses (usually 60k to 75k miles at a time). My travel card group is AA, Delta, and United (but I do hold Marriott and Starwood cards for day to day/accommodation points accumulation as well). One other card I will put a plug in for is the Hilton Honors Amex Ascend Card. Complimentary Hilton Gold Status (in case I'm unable to find/use a Marriott/Starwood property) as well as a complimentary Priority Pass membership that provides 10 free airport lounge visits each calendar year (shareable with family and friends as long as you are present) are the primary benefits I like. I find it well worth the $95 fee (especially with the current 130k Honor Bonus Points at sign-up).

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to pick a card for miles, make sure you pick an airline you will fly frequently and from an airport near you. It doesn't look you are close to a major hub city, so it may benefit you to go with Southwest. They have a lot of good non-stop flights from RDU.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
If I rent MVC property from another owner and have a contract between him and me and use Chase Sapphire Reserve for the PayPal payment will the travel protection on the cc be applicable?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
I fly out of BWI which is Southwest's east coast hub, so it's my primary airline. I have the Chase SW Premier card. The Companion Pass is probably the most valuable travel perk I've ever received, saving us over $2K in airfare this year alone. I also have the Marriott black card for spending at Marriotts and for maintenance fees for my MVCI holdings. Amex Platinum for other travel uses and the club lounge access.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I also have the Marriott black card ...

The Marriott black card was our most used card before the Chase Sapphire came along. My daughter had a card “for emergencies” while going to college.

I’d see odd purchases from the mall for an emergency trip for new clothes. Found out she even named the card Blackie.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Churn baby Churn.
Get Delta Amex when they offer bonus and free, then cancel.
Ditto for Chase SWA.

The Amex Platinum works for me in that I get enough savings to equal or exceed the cost.
They run some rebates including one for each of the Marriott brands that was pretty easy to do.
If you get it late in the year you can double dip on the $200 airline spend and then cancel at the end of the first year.
I only use Marriott card for Marriott spend. Value just isn't there for me otherwise.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
Our current usage is:

Restaurant spending: Capital One Savor gives 4% cash back. We also use Mileage Plus Dining which gives an extra 5 miles per dollar at select restaurants, and there are 3 or 4 places that we go to semi-regularly and the miles are a nice bonus. I know Bank of America has a card that gives 3% on dining plus a 75% bonus if you have a Merrill Lynch account or other relationship to give 5.25%.

Costco (including gas): Costco Visa gives 4% on gas, 2% on Costco purchases, and we have several convenient Costco locations. Executive membership gets an extra 2% on top of both.

Everything else: Marriott Visa for 2 or 6 points. I know I could get 1.5 back on other cards or play the "rotating category" game but I like getting the Marriott points and the extra work just isn't worth it for the small benefit.