• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vacation Club Points Expiring

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to roll over my points in November. They are now expiring in 2 weeks. 1400 points. I know I could trade for an II credit to be used in two years. I would also have an exchange fee to pay of about 200$. Do any one have better suggestion. Would I have any chance of getting them sold on tug. I absolutely cannot use them in next two weeks.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
An II deposit is probably your only real viable option. There may be others like buying the travel insurance or perhaps a resort credit. The rental options are probably very limited since they expire in two weeks and not many people would have last minute plans to make.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
An II deposit is probably your only real viable option. There may be others like buying the travel insurance or perhaps a resort credit. The rental options are probably very limited since they expire in two weeks and not many people would have last minute plans to make.
I asked about resort credit and it has to be used before the points expire. The real kicker is we went to Florida in January for a cruise and stayed two nights before the cruise in a not so great hotel but it was cheap and after the cruise stayed one night at beautiful Beach Place Towers. If I had realized my points were expiring we sould have stayed at Beach Place Towers all 3 nights!!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I asked about resort credit and it has to be used before the points expire. The real kicker is we went to Florida in January for a cruise and stayed two nights before the cruise in a not so great hotel but it was cheap and after the cruise stayed one night at beautiful Beach Place Towers. If I had realized my points were expiring we sould have stayed at Beach Place Towers all 3 nights!!
Yup, live and learn. We have probably all been there in one way or another with our timeshares.

Take the II deposit, even if you never use it, you have the option and it doesn't cost you anything right now.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, live and learn. We have probably all been there in one way or another with our timeshares.

Take the II deposit, even if you never use it, you have the option and it doesn't cost you anything right now.
It will be my first time using II and maybe I can find a resort that is in Michigan which is a lot closer to me then any of the MVC resorts. I live in Ontario.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Go see if you can buy anything with them on MVC site. I'm not sure II is going to take them 2 weeks out. Go see if you can get anything on MVC that's valuable and see if anyone will want it.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Go see if you can buy anything with them on MVC site. I'm not sure II is going to take them 2 weeks out. Go see if you can get anything on MVC that's valuable and see if anyone will want it.
From discussion in another recent thread, you can make a deposit with points up until their expiration. The deposit is good for two years because Marriott really just deposits a week for you in their place (or transfers it from their bulk bank in to your account). II doesn't seem to care when the points expire.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
By buy do you mean see if I can book a resort? Does it have to be full week? What w
From discussion in another recent thread, you can make a deposit with points up until their expiration. The deposit is good for two years because Marriott really just deposits a week for you in their place (or transfers it from their bulk bank in to your account). II doesn't seem to care when the points expire.
I am going to call MVC tomorrow morning to talk with our advisor to see how to go about depositing my expiring points in II. Can’t believe i missed rolling over my points and didn’t notice when I booked Beach Place Towers for one night in January and two nights at Flea Bit Hotel. Lol.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was referring to something more like amenities (spa certificates, round of golf, cooking class, etc.) that you can use in the future or with some other expiration date.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's really good to know. This is the best option for OP.

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was referring to something more like amenities (spa certificates, round of golf, cooking class, etc.) that you can use in the future or with some other expiration date.
When i asked about that while on the Chat with MVC i was told that the certificate would need to be used before the points expire. i am calling at 8 to find out my options. i think i missed rolling them over because we were planning on going on a trip in April but my daughters 6 gymnastics trips got in the way!

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
I forgot to roll over my points in November. They are now expiring in 2 weeks. 1400 points. I know I could trade for an II credit to be used in two years. I would also have an exchange fee to pay of about 200$. Do any one have better suggestion. Would I have any chance of getting them sold on tug. I absolutely cannot use them in next two weeks.

I have a somewhat similar situation and I have posted a few questions and recently started a thread called MVC point to II.

My situation is slightly different in that I have banked points expiring at the end of the year.
I also didn’t realize I couldn’t use them to buy resort credits to use for a stay after the points expired ( going to Fl the 2 Nd week of Jan 20). I also can’t rent banked points so even realizing my problem 9 months in advance didn’t help me.

I have had several conversations with MVC and the opinion they gave ( listed on MVC under explorer collection) were-
- use them to buy insurance- I was told I could buy 3 years worth
- resort credit or attraction tickets to use for stays before points expire
- golf certificates which I was told did not need to be used before the points expired
- airline credits- also don’t need to be used before expiration.
- deposit into II to use for a now Marriott stay ( see my other thread). I was told I could chose this option up to 24 Hs before the points expire and it would not affect the week- it would not be in flexchange.
Note that your 1400 points will only get you the deposit on a low season studio unit to exchange on II. You can add more points to that to get a stronger deposit- just need to consider if you want to throw good points after bad. I have exchanged on II many times and always deposited a gold (high on their chart) season week so I plan to add 50 extra points to those that are expiring and get ahigh season studio deposited. To find the points needed chart on MVC go under “use points’ and choose “interval international” in the last column under exchange options. https://owners.marriottvacationclub...acationOptions/points-exchangePartnerResorts/

Good luck, I hope you find a good solution. I was bummed that these option are so limited. Live and learn. I’m aware for the future.

Last edited:

Finntastic

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a somewhat similar situation and I have posted a few questions and recently started a thread called MVC point to II.

My situation is slightly different in that I have banked points expiring at the end of the year.
I also didn’t realize I couldn’t use them to buy resort credits to use for a stay after the points expired ( going to Fl the 2 Nd week of Jan 20). I also can’t rent banked points so even realizing my problem 9 months in advance didn’t help me.

I have had several conversations with MVC and the opinion they gave ( listed on MVC under explorer collection) were-
- use them to buy insurance- I was told I could buy 3 years worth
- resort credit or attraction tickets to use for stays before points expire
- golf certificates which I was told did not need to be used before the points expired
- airline credits- also don’t need to be used before expiration.
- deposit into II to use for a now Marriott stay ( see my other thread).
Note that your 1400 points will only get you the deposit on a low season studio unit to exchange on II. You can add more points to that to get a stronger deposit- just need to consider if you want to throw good points after bad. I have exchanged on II many times and always deposited a gold (high on their chart) season week so I plan to add 50 extra points to those that are expiring and get ahigh season studio deposited. To find the points needed chart on MVC go under “use points’ and choose “interval international” in the last column under exchange options. https://owners.marriottvacationclub...acationOptions/points-exchangePartnerResorts/

Good luck, I hope you find a good solution. I was bummed that these option are so limited. Live and learn. I’m aware for the future.
So update to my expiring points. So we have deposited our points into II and borrowed 100 to make it 1500 for a 1 bedroom in low season. We hope to use it in Michigan or Ontario in winter or early spring. A nice resort with a pool and hot tube will work for us. Lesson learned! We have an alert programmed in our phone for Nov 30 this year! It will be our first time using II.