TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Note that the "About the rest of TUG" and "About TUGBBS" forums have been moved further down the list under the lounge area. just in case anyone was wondering where they disappeared to!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. TUG started 24 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of owners on prodigy! Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The TUG forums have been upgraded this evening to now utilize https as a more secure way to connect and browse the site (Especially for those logged in). please let us know if you experience any issues or errors while on the site so we can correct them! it is our hope that this is a completely seamless change/upgrade! Forum upgrade thread
    Dismiss Notice

VAC/ILG shareholder activism [Merger talk]

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by krj9999, May 24, 2017.

1. JIMinNC

JIMinNC TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Barony Beach Club, HHI
    Marriott Destination Club Points
    The other thing I could see happening if the VAC/ILG combination happens, is VAC changes their name to eliminate "Marriott" from the corporate name - maybe it just becomes Vacations Worldwide Corporation. They would then operate Marriott Vacation Club, Vistana, Hyatt, Interval International, etc. That would make it easier to keep all of the brands/programs separate, and then offer some type of internal exchange program either within II or separate from II, if they decide they want it to be more points-based than weeks-based.

2. nuwermj

nuwermj TUG Member

What is the difference between "timeshare" and "vacation ownership" as used by Big Matt?

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
  3. dioxide45

dioxide45 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Nothing really, just a way of branding timeshares so they don't have 'timeshare' in the name.

4. VacationForever

VacationForever TUG Member

Marriott is marketing their Destination Club points as being able to use for vacationing experience beyond timeshare (resorts). DC points can be used to book cruises (horrible value - 50% mark up), land tours (about 10 to 20% mark up), events, luxury homes (large luxurious homes) etc.

5. GaryDouglas

GaryDouglas TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Maui Ocean
    Club Suites and Villas
    With all the ads on the radio for how to get rid of your timeshare, maybe "TimeShare" is becoming a four letter word....

6. VacationForever

Timeshare had been a four letter word for the longest time. Whenever I use that word amongst people whom I know who do not own timeshare, they usually give me the look that say "Oh my she is so stupid" to "I feel sorry for her".

klpca, CalGalTraveler and urfriend like this.
  7. pwrshift

pwrshift TUG Member

Makes me wonder if this is the first step to Marriott getting all of Hyatt too?

8. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

+1 The sales process gives it a bad name. I am surprised a major news outlet hasn't done an undercover expose.

People don't have the same reaction when someone buys an expensive yacht or RV yet these items have similar loss in value and maintenance/docking/storage fees. AND they are not easy to sell when you are done.

Timeshares = Horrendous Sales Process but an Excellent Product (resorts)

BTW...I just came across this 2016 article on Timesharing in Consumer Reports:

The Timeshare Comes of Age

https://www.consumerreports.org/travel/the-timeshare-comes-of-age/

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
    klpca and VacationForever like this.
  9. icydog

icydog TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

It looks like it’s gonna happen. I just wish I owned the stock. Look at this link to THE STREET report

10. Helios

Helios TUG Member

Very interested in seeing if this happens. I hope it does and I can combine my resale KoOlina with my Vistana units.

11. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Even if it happens, there is no guaranty that they will allow any type of cross over between the two systems.

12. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I know, one can hope.

13. youppi

youppi TUG Member

If they permit the cross over, I doubt that they will do it for almost free like they did for the enrollment of weeks owners in the DC system if they spend a lot of money to acquire ILG.

14. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    I doubt that VAC will actually pay out any cash in such a transaction. They will probably just issue VAC stock to ILG stock holders. Either way, they will want to use a merger or acquisition to save and make more money. They would be able to save money by merging back end operations. They can make more money by charging owners more fees and enrollment fees would be a big way to do that.

15. Helios

Helios TUG Member

Do you mean Fees for Vistana and Hyatt owners to use Marriott properties?

16. VacationForever

I doubt that is going to happen. I suspect the model will be like Wyndham's. Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott all kept as different systems. But if you buy from developer, then at 10 months, you can book at another system.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 10:57 PM
  17. Helios

Helios TUG Member

That would make sense so they make new money. I hope they simply merge. Marriott owners may be interested in Hyatt or Vistana properties.

18. VacationForever

Their goal is only to make more money for their shareholders and C-suite. There is no money in simply merging to provide greater access to EXISTING owners. It is always about selling up.

19. Helios

Helios TUG Member

I know that. But, how do you explain the Marriott free week enrollments and Starwood allowing owners from resorts they bought to become VSN owners?

20. Helios

Helios TUG Member

No money was made there.

21. VacationForever

Marriott built a brand new internal trading / booking system, aka the "Trust". They needed to fund the "Trust" and hence they allowed existing owners (pre June 20 2010) to enroll so that they could help fill up the "Trust" with inventory. It was for a small fee initially and later on free for some if they went to an owners' update. Marriott needed the inventory and hence they allowed pre-June 2010 owners to enroll.

I am not understanding what you meant by Starwood allowing owners from resorts they bought to become VSN owners. If Marriott were to buy ILG, they will likely need to do something about the fragmented Vistana system - voluntary, mandatory, Sheraton Flex, Aventuras, St John CV and SB... They are smarter than me and I do not have a clue how to transform it into a consolidated/coherent Vistana system. But there is no way they will just allow Marriott owners to internally book Hyatt and Vistana inventory, and vice versa. There is no money in it for them.

22. dioxide45

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott's Grande Vista
    Marriott's Harbour Lake
    SVV - Bella
    SVV - Key West
    Marriott doesn't offer free week enrollments. Initially they were $595 up to $1995. They had a lot of owners enroll their weeks under that fee structure until they move to a flat $2395 enrollment fee. They are only now offering free enrollments for the last hold outs as long as they offer up their time to sit through a presentation. Vistana does not allow anyone buying resale to become members of VSN unless they they buy at a mandatory resort. If Vistana could, they would do away with mandatory resorts, but they wrote the the governing documents for those properties in such a way that they are stuck with them. Anyone buying direct from Vistana is in VSN. You can re-qualify a voluntary ownership if you pay big bucks to buy more from the developer. Marriott has offered similar at different times. But Marriott is all about fees for enrollment and if they allow cross use between programs, expect to have to pay for it.

23. tschwa2

tschwa2 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Marriott's free week enrollment is only for owners of pre-2010 weeks who have refused enrollment multiple times with continually improving offers. Marriott has there own reasons for trying to get them to enroll which may include trying to further erode Marriott availability in II or just wanting addition fees in the form of the annual fee paid to them. By making Marriott inventory more scarce through II, they increase the value of their product DC points. By allowing too many people to enroll for peanuts they would significantly decrease the value of DC points sold through Marriott.

Which resorts has Vistana/Starwood allowed to enroll in the points program?

24. VacationForever

There are 5 resorts that were sold as "mandatory" and because it is written into the governing documents, they retain the right when resold. Many times Vistana sales people have said unashamedly that if Starwood were to have done it again, they would never have made any resort mandatory as it kills of the revenue for new developer sales.

25. BJRSanDiego

BJRSanDiego TUG Member

I had a discussion with a Marriott GM earlier this week and (s)he stated that (s)he was on a telecon with Steve Weisz who said that there was no truth to the rumor and that it is all untrue. So, either it is nothing but a rumor or Marriott wants to keep everyone guessing what is going on. Or....