• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using HGVC Points

ralphg81

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Occidental
HIVC
First of all THANK everyone on TUG for being so helpful. I did a lot of research here before we bought our first TS. So thank you again.
We would like to buy a HGVC TS. The question I have is can we use extra or points in general to stay at Hilton branded hotels (Double Tree, Hampton, Embassy Suits ect..) I'm sure we would need to be HH members.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
First of all THANK everyone on TUG for being so helpful. I did a lot of research here before we bought our first TS. So thank you again.
We would like to buy a HGVC TS. The question I have is can we use extra or points in general to stay at Hilton branded hotels (Double Tree, Hampton, Embassy Suits ect..) I'm sure we would need to be HH members.

If you are a hgvc owner you can convert your hgvc points to Hilton honors points. You get 1:25 but you need to convert before end of year. So this year you can convert your 2019 points before 31st of December 2018. You can’t convert 2018, well you can but only at 1:20 but that’s a different story.

Generally speaking converting to HH is a poor use of hgvc points they are best used within the hgvc system.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Yes, you can use HGVC points to stay at Hilton branded hotels, but should you is another question.

When you buy a HGVC TS, you get a HH membership as a component of your HGVC ownership. If your TS is co-owned with another, you get a joint-HH account; however, only the first named person is in control. Bookings are in their name, but others may be designated as guests. If you prefer to use a pre-existing HH account, you need to list it on the transfer paperwork, or you'll have to contact HH later.

There are two ways to use your HGVC points for hotel bookings: (1) You can convert next year's HGVC points to HH points (ratio = 25:1), and book using the HH website. The HH points show up in early January the next year. (b) You can book a hotel directly by calling HGVC - without converting -(ratio = 20:1).

HOWEVER
: Using HGVC to book HH hotels is a notoriously poor use of points. For the points it takes for 1N in a hotel (points converted or not), you lose several nights at a HGVC resort.

Example: A 4N weekday stay (M-F) or 2N weekend in a HGVC Studio (like a hotel room) in Orlando may run 960 HGVC points. Converted (25:1) that equals 24,000 HH points, which might score 1N in a Hampton Inn in a run-down section of town, or perhaps half a night near the theme parks.

So, it is to be avoided, unless there's a special need, like to complete a vacation you would not otherwise take or to stay in a special place which you could not otherwise afford.

Last edited:

kevreh

Reaction score
And the above example is why I'm having a little buyers remorse for buying a Hilton timeshare. I didn't realize the conversion would be so poor.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The best use of a HGVC TS is as such... which is their primary purpose.
Any other use, be for Hilton Hotels (a separate corporation), cruises or such, will be at a lower value -- the points still have value for that use, just not as much. As for the TS's themselves, they are a good value for the quality you get.

ralphg81

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Occidental
HIVC
Thanks all for the info. I'm glad I asked the question so I can be a better informed buyer.