• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

use TS to go on cruises

erniehart

Reaction score
Hello all, new here
My wife and I just went to a TS presentation at Willamsburg Plantation. We didn't buy or anything but they did peak my interest in timeshares and upon further research it seems timeshares are not as bad as I had thought.

The big problem for us though is that for our vacations we really enjoy cruises, We have been on 4 of them and loved every one. we did an all inclusive in Dominican Republic and did not like it. We like seeing different things every day.

With that said is there a good way to use a timeshare to go on cruises and what should i be looking for.

I saw some information that seemed to indicate a point system might be possible.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The issue is that it is not of good value to use timeshare to exchange for cruises. Pay for the cruise directly. Find a good travel agency that gives you additional perks.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We find that when you can make it work, to either have a TS week pre-cruise, or at the end works well. It adds another element of complexity, but when it works it's cool. Like a cruise of the Baltics coupled with a Scotland TS stay, or Mediterranean cruise with a Barcelona or Rome or??? stay. Caribbean and a Florida TS stay is easy. But as mentioned- using timeshare 'points' or whatever the annual fee pays for to get a discount from the full retail price of a cruise is a very poor use of those dollars.

Jim

Whatever you do DO NOT BUY a TS from a developer. They are identical to those you can buy resale on eBay or here on TUG for pennies on the dollar- or even for free.

moonstone

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
+1 for not using points for a cruise (or All Inclusive vacation). As others have said it just isn't good value, as you can get a better deal (& perks) booking the cruise on your own, then adding to the vacation with a timeshare stay either before or afterwards. When we first looked into using our timeshare week for a cruise, not only would we need to pay the exchange fee but then a fee for the 'all-inclusive' part (meals & activities) as well as port fees...

We have taken 3 cruises out of FL with a timeshare stay (once the week before & twice the week after the cruise) and our DS did a week in Rome followed by a Mediterranean cruise for their honeymoon. We prefer the timeshare stay for the week after the cruise as we are very active on the cruise and feel the need for a few days to recover before our drive home. Our DS wanted to start his trip with the timeshare stay so he would already be in the area and avoid any flight delays and possibly missing the cruise departure.

~Diane