TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Upgrades

Discussion in 'Wyndham Vacation Resorts' started by DeeDibble, Jun 10, 2018.

1. DeeDibble

DeeDibble TUG Member

i just got off the phone with owner care and feel like I was mis-informed. It has always been my experience that if I booked a 1 bedroom and there were no 2 bedroom units available it would upgrade to a 3 bedroom. The woman I talked to told me I can’t do that. Is she wrong or have I missed something?

2. raygo123

raygo123 TUG Member

Who knows how they work since the new system.

Sent from my LGLK430 using Tapatalk

3. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    It has been reported that it happened and it has been reported that it hasn't happened. If it is offered as an instant exchange or if the auto grade does it, it does. There are a lot of reasons when an upgrade looks like it should be available and it isn't and there is no apparent reason why and owner care won't override it if the system doesn't give it as an option.

4. jumoe

jumoe TUG Member

I have seen a 1br go to a 3br. Both in the instant upgrades, and the auto upgrades.
    I have also seen a 1br refuse to instant upgrade to the 2br that exists.
    I have also seen a 1br sit in my account, and a 2br available in the system for days for the exact same dates, and I don't get an auto upgrade.

5. DeeDibble

DeeDibble TUG Member

With all said I simply only need one night to add to an already booked 2 nights - the night I need is on a Monday - I’m hoping I could just grab the one bedroom and get the instant upgrade to the 3 bedroom since there are no longer any 2 bedrooms in the system. Anyone know any tricks? You would think that these 1 nights that just have been sitting there aren’t going to be hard to “compete” for and I’m only hours away from grabbing it - I’m really thinking the odds are in my favor and it’s likely I can grab it - am I CRAZY?

6. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
    RCI Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach
    As OP have said with this crappy system the upgrades at the time of booking aren't always working correctly. If you are a VIP owner, yes when you booked it you should have been given the option either on the phone or online of being able to up grade your reservation to the next available larger unit at the time of booking. After the time of booking the auto upgrades aren't working correctly either and no one will help you. Consider yourself one of the lucky ones if you should happen to get one.

What I find infuriating is that the VC aren't allowed to do an override and fix it when the upgrades at the time of booking aren't working. I recently had a VC tell me there was something available with an upgrade but when she tried to do the booking it wouldn't upgrade. I didn't tell her the only reason I was calling is because I had already tried online with no success. As I expected it didn't work for her either and she asked me to hold while she asked a supervisor. She came back with some b.s. she had been told to give me. It was so lame and she clearly embarrassed. It wasn't her fault and I took pity on her so didn't give her a hard time over it.

I've wondered if we all took a screenshot showing what was available every time this happened and contacted owner care demanding recompense and a written explanation of why we were denied the upgrade if owner care would get bogged down enough that something would get done about it.

7. DeeDibble

DeeDibble TUG Member

I always get nervous anytime I try to do anything on the site. Sometimes I feel like Wyndham is just “banking” on owners giving up and surrendering their Contracts. I’ve gotten so cynical that in my mind I would not put it past them to have a “broad business plan” that strategically pushes owners with 2 and 3 million points to just throw in the towel and walk from their ownership. Wyndham could turn around and sell the same amount of points that have been forfeited. Example: 20 owners give up 60 million points total between them - Wyndham can absorb the points. It makes sense because if no owner is using them the points are “effectively in the system”. So in this example Wyndham sells, let’s say: 288 contracts with average of 208,000 point packages for about $34,000 per package. That’s a cash influx of over 9.7 million dollars that Wyndham now has but would not have as long as owners are keeping them - I’ve read somewhere that Timeshare companies can’t take back deeds but I’m not so sure about that - we’ve been offered “foreclosure packages” from them. It’s possible the “evolution” of the fixed weeks/deeded weeks converted to UDI - the Wyndham Access packages ie: newer “products” can be worked around. My husband kept saying “there is a reason they want those fixed weeks,”. I think it’s because when owners “trade in” and “buy up” it makes it easier for Wyndham to “recycle” points. Am I sounding like a “conspiracy theorist “?

8. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Not at all.

vacationhopeful likes this.
  9. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham PresRes, Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (4), some others.
    We are all cynical conspiracy theorists here!

Well, maybe not all of us. There are a few posters that I can't figure out what they are saying.

10. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Wyndham, Bluegreen, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
    This morning I received an email notifying me that my July 2 reservation at Wyndham La Belle Maison was auto-upgraded from studio to 1 bdrm. My first upgrade since the downgraded website last May

11. chapjim

chapjim TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham PresRes, Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (4), some others.
    Praise the Lord!

12. Jan M.

Jan M. TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Here's more conspiracy theory. Maybe Wyndham is following the posts and wants to shut me up because during the night I just got my first auto upgrade EVER since the new website! I'm saying this kiddingly but part of me does wonder if our complaints here on TUG actually do get heard.

13. Sandi Bo

Sandi Bo TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ocean Walk, Bonnet Creek, Alexandria, Williamsburg, National Harbor, South Shore, Canterbury
    How frustrating.

I have a 2 Bedroom Deluxe at Bonnet Creek, booked for full points. It's eligible for an upgrade. There's a 3 Bedroom Deluxe there now. It did not auto upgrade. Nothing worse than that, WYN. Crappy system, inconsistent behavior, no accountability.

:crash::crash::crash:

14. Avislo

Avislo TUG Member

If you have the points, book the three bedroom and cancel the two bedroom if you get the points discount.

15. tschwa2

tschwa2 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    A few in SC, VA and FL, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, NY, UT, ME, WI, and TN plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
    Unless check in is within 14 days.

16. ilya

ilya TUG Member

I have not had an upgrade yet but relatives that have the same reservation and booked months after me did get the upgrade...

17. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Now that sucks. Unless they're a higher VIP level, then maybe that's how it's supposed to work

18. Sandi Bo

Sandi Bo TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Ocean Walk, Bonnet Creek, Alexandria, Williamsburg, National Harbor, South Shore, Canterbury
    Yeah... unfortunately it is just a few days away :-(

19. ilya

ilya TUG Member

I thought it was the first one to request the upgrade.. Yes, one of them are platinum and I am Gold...

20. Free2Roam

Free2Roam TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    If I remember correctly, there was speculation last year on how that would work in the new world of Wyndham. Did their upgrade come before your upgrade window started?

21. ilenekm

ilenekm TUG Member

No I got an upgrade at the 60 day mark.
    I had a Studio Presidential upgraded to a 1br deluxe, same point value. I wasn't happy. I went to the website and there was a 1br deluxe and a 2br pres. I booked the 1br st 50% discount and got upgraded to the 2br pres. In the end, I spent half the points of my original studio for a two br.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Free2Roam likes this.
  22. ilya

ilya TUG Member

It was well within the upgrade period. Three weeks before check in. They booked and 3 days later had the upgrade. I never got one..

23. DeeDibble

DeeDibble TUG Member

There is no doubt in my mind they are watching and reading.

24. DRIless

DRIless Guest

I think WYN designed the inconsistencies to help thwart mega-renters like this one whose site states:

that recently sent out these notices:

I think the loss of book/cancel/rebook and expected upgrades is killing them. Their entire inventory is Wyndham.

25. ronparise

ronparise TUG Member

Are you new to this forum?

Wyndham has been actively trying to put the megarenters out of business since August 2016. And they have been largely successful with the mega owners. The guys that are left are the ones that “rent” points from owners that have more points than they are using personally

They took 25 million points from me and similar numbers from several other guys I know.

Yes they can resell this stuff. I figure they can make $4,000,000 off me alone. But as I’ve said in other posts I’ve done recently, I don’t think it’s that simple

Not only are they buying to put renters out of business I think they have a long range plan to convert their timeshare business to a rental business

Just like they transitioned from weeks to points some years ago, they can transition to a vacation rental business

We megarenters showed them that it’s possible to rent this stuff for more than it costs to maintain it

The biggest problem timeshare companies face today is that young people don’t want to obligate themselves to the same vacations for the rest of their lives. We baby boomers are aging out (a polite way of saying we are dying off) and our kids don’t want this stuff

One solution that the timeshare companies are considering is short term vacation plans. Ie buy 10 weeks to use o we the next 8 years for $xxx. Another solution is rentals. I haven’t done my research but it seems to me wyndhams rental websites have more inventory today than they once had