• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upgrade @ Villa del Palmar

snsfriel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what it would cost to upgrade Premier Studio to points @ Villa del Palmar?

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
Hi -

I'm afraid I can't answer that question directly. But, we can use some past history to triangulate into a guesstimate:

In this thread https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-on-villa-preferred-access-membership.216867/
we can deduce that this individual paid the equivalent of $20 per preferred access point. (1000 points every other year for $10,000 which is equivalent to $20,000 per 1000 points annually.

In this thread https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?conversations/help-with-villa-group-points-purchase.216732/ we can deduce that this individual paid the equivalent of $16.67 per preferred access point. ($16,675 for 1000 points annually.)

I know from recent update meetings that Villa Group's starting "list price" exceeds $30 per point. They're really stretching it ... using 50 right to use math et al. I also know from an upgrade transaction that we did they were really charging $12 per point - at least to an existing member doing an upgrade.

From the UVC website we can learn that a one week studio reservation requires between 800 to 1200 points depending on the resort and the season. https://myuvci.com/vacation-club-information/
Let's use 1000 points for discussion purposes.

From all the above then we can deduce that a 1000 point preferred access membership will cost somewhere between $12,000 to $20,000 depending on how badly they want the contract and how strongly the buyer negotiates and/or tolerates the necessary pain.

In addition, since you will be upgrading an existing membership, the standard process Villa Group follows is to determine the initial price paid for the existing membership then straightline depreciate it it over its 30 year life. For example, if you had a premier membership purchased for $8,000 fifteen years ago, the trade-in value would be $4,000 applied against the current purchase price. BTW, I made up the premier purchase price...I have no idea what it might have been. (15 of 30 years "used" or 50%...thus 50% of $8,000 results in $4,000 trade-in.) If you're acquiring a resale points membership that has reverted to a premier memebership and hoping to upgrade it, I would guess your trade-in value would be zero, but I really don't know. Find your values and you can guesstimate your trade-in value.

Thus, the ultimate answer to your question is:
We can't possibly answer the question with any degree of certainty. It will depend on the trade-in value of your existing membership, the price you are able to negotiate in the sales room and the number of points you will require to reserve the unit you desire in the appropriate resort and season. If forced to make a guess for betting purposes, I would bet that you can't get out of there for less than $10,000. But, probably less than $15,000.

Sorry to make a muddle of it all.

Good luck !!

bbb

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Why would you want to upgrade to points which can only be bought through UVCI ? It would be better to buy a resale gold membership. The gold mf is lower and can be sold resale. Points revert to a premiere membership with a PV home resort when sold resale.

The cost to upgrade depends on how many points you buy. Last presentation I went to they wanted about $16,000 to upgrade my one bedroom premiere. There was five years left on the premiere contract.

Bob's is right about the process. If you really want points you can negotiate the price. They give a subjective value for your contract which in reality is zero but to UVCI it might be $15,000 +. They valued three of my contracts at $65,000, lol. They valued theirs at $130,000, lmao.

Bill

snsfriel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would you want to upgrade to points which can only be bought through UVCI ? It would be better to buy a resale gold membership. The gold mf is lower and can be sold resale. Points revert to a premiere membership with a PV home resort when sold resale.

The cost to upgrade depends on how many points you buy. Last presentation I went to they wanted about $16,000 to upgrade my one bedroom premiere. There was five years left on the premiere contract.

Bob's is right about the process. If you really want points you can negotiate the price. They give a subjective value for your contract which in reality is zero but to UVCI it might be $15,000 +. They valued three of my contracts at $65,000, lol. They valued theirs at $130,000, lmao.

Bill
Thanks for the inform-have been members for 20 years and have 2 weeks in 1BR unit. Also have 2 weeks in a studio family growing and need bigger unit. Is it possible to turn studios into bigger units? Have 6 weeks to use.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the inform-have been members for 20 years and have 2 weeks in 1BR unit. Also have 2 weeks in a studio family growing and need bigger unit. Is it possible to turn studios into bigger units? Have 6 weeks to use.

Occasionally, we upgrade a two bed unit and a one bed unit for a penthouse or two one bed units and money for a penthouse. These are all premiere contracts and the upgrades are through the developer inventory, not club inventory. Premiere contracts are not up-gradable in club inventory is what I think. The upgrade can be had at check in for a fee from the developer inventory.

I don't have any studios but my friend that has a studio gold contract often upgrades to a one bedroom. My other friend who has a gold one bedroom often takes two studios instead of the one bedroom and is charged about $500 for the switch.

UVCI resale contracts for winter months have kind of disappeared in the last few years.

Bill

snsfriel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Occasionally, we upgrade a two bed unit and a one bed unit for a penthouse or two one bed units and money for a penthouse. These are all premiere contracts and the upgrades are through the developer inventory, not club inventory. Premiere contracts are not up-gradable in club inventory is what I think. The upgrade can be had at check in for a fee from the developer inventory.

I don't have any studios but my friend that has a studio gold contract often upgrades to a one bedroom. My other friend who has a gold one bedroom often takes two studios instead of the one bedroom and is charged about $500 for the switch.

UVCI resale contracts for winter months have kind of disappeared in the last few years.

Bill
Is it possible to call the resort about a upgrade before check in?

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is it possible to call the resort about a upgrade before check in?

Gold members can call in to get upgrades because it is part of their gold benefits. A premiere account can't upgrade through UVCI but can upgrade through UVCI developer inventory. I own premiere memberships and have never tried calling the resort so I guess the answer is yes, you can call the resort instead of resortcom to see if they can do something for you. You would have a yes or no so why not ???

When I check in I ask if there are any penthouses available. Sometimes there is and sometime there isn't. I'm good with my one or two bed unit but don't mind paying extra for a penthouse.

Bill

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi -

I know from recent update meetings that Villa Group's starting "list price" exceeds $30 per point. They're really stretching it ... using 50 right to use math et al. I also know from an upgrade transaction that we did they were really charging $12 per point - at least to an existing member doing an upgrade.

bbb

I am getting ready to upgrade my membership before the Villa/Garza split.

Should I be aiming to pay $12 per annual point? More or less?

As always, thanks for your knowledge!

beach.bar.bob

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Universal Vacation Club (UVC) aka Villa del Palmar aka Villa Group
VPA/Elite/Gold
I am getting ready to upgrade my membership before the Villa/Garza split.

Should I be aiming to pay $12 per annual point? More or less?

As always, thanks for your knowledge!

1) What do your mean by the Villa/Garza split?

2) I think $12 a point is a reasonable guideline based on prior purchases...but, given the new 50 year sales horizon and the points inflation at the new resorts...YMMV.

Good luck. And be sure to come back and post about your experience and results.

Thx

bbb

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
1) What do your mean by the Villa/Garza split?

2) I think $12 a point is a reasonable guideline based on prior purchases...but, given the new 50 year sales horizon and the points inflation at the new resorts...YMMV.

Good luck. And be sure to come back and post about your experience and results.

Thx

bbb

In June or July, the Club Caribe contracts will no longer work for BOTH Garza AND Villa on new purchases. So, I am trying to build up my points on BOTH systems while I still can. After the split, I won't feel the benefit or need to upgrade. Now or never.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recent offer was to move from 2775 points to 3600 points at Cancun (adding 825 points) for $16,834 or $20.40 per point.

Or move from 2775 to 5000 Elite Level at Cancun (adding 2225 points) for $36,574 or $16.44 per point.

I got with the Sales Manager at Cancun (Jose) and told him that I would pay the same price per point as my initial purchase ($15.54). The reply was that there was "nothing he could do". I walked away.

Updated info for anyone looking at current pricing levels.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
VPA Cancun, VPA UVC, Elite Loreto
Goodness, that's crazy. I'm headed there next Saturday, nice to know that my member meeting will have an abrupt ending when prices come up.

Slinger

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's the sargassum on the beach?
I'm at home trying to upgrade before the Tafer/Villa split. Unaware at current beach condition. Join our Villa Owners Group on FB for up to date info! :)