• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Upcoming Elections

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
I am wondering if this statement is correct? I sit on a Board for an association where if someone steps down, mid-term, the replacement serves until the next election, at which time the Board seat is opened for election to be filled for the remaining term of the person replaced. In other words, Charles would serve as appointed until this year's 2019 election and then whomever fills this seat at this 2019 election will only serve until next year 2020 when Linda's seat originally comes up for election. I get the whole "continuity" concern, but without something like my description in place, someone can be voted in at the election, step down the next day, and the remaining Board members can choose a replacement that will sit for the next three years. LINDA

It is correct. The policy is consistent with what I have seen with most HOA BoD's, and is the process outlined in para 3.11 of our by-laws:

The new Director shall serve the balance of the unexpired term of the Director that caused the vacancy.

It is a frequent occurrence in developer controlled BoD's. The developer rep will resign right after the election, and their replacement serves out their term.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
I am wondering if this statement is correct? I sit on a Board for an association where if someone steps down, mid-term, the replacement serves until the next election, at which time the Board seat is opened for election to be filled for the remaining term of the person replaced. In other words, Charles would serve as appointed until this year's 2019 election and then whomever fills this seat at this 2019 election will only serve until next year 2020 when Linda's seat originally comes up for election. I get the whole "continuity" concern, but without something like my description in place, someone can be voted in at the election, step down the next day, and the remaining Board members can choose a replacement that will sit for the next three years. LINDA

No, Linda. There are five seats in toto. Two seats are up for election on year, three the following. This is kept that way in order to provide continuity. Linda's seat was voted upon in last year's election and would be up again next year. Every other year. With Linda officially stepping down, Charles was voted in by the board to take her place. He will maintain her seat until it's up for re-election. Again, that's next year. Every seat has a 2-year term, staggered 3-2.

Jeff

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Samoset Resort (in ME), The Harborside Inn (Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard, MA)
By the way, it's estimated that an Activities Director would cost about $60,000/yr.

I'm not advocating for noise. But I am advocating, potentially, for more options for island exploration as a community, such as group dinners out, or trips to museums, and the like. It might make the resort more appealing to those visiting the resort as well, making it more desirable to buy into. Not a huge investment, if you ask me. Our beach and incredible view is still a huge, unique selling point. But there's a difference between a hotel and a resort. I think the resort could have a little more life on the back end.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Today's thoughts on the IOA and the election:

1) It's REALLY unfortunate that the rules of being on the IOA board include not saying ANYTHING negative toward any entity that is part of the board. So that means no one on the IOA board can make a negative comment or criticize Wyndham, for example. My being outspoken about Wyndham and corporate representation on the board was a cause for Dani Ramos to reject me outright from last year's ballot.

Additionally, no one on the board(s) can criticize Wyndham here in the blog, or divulge any dissent regarding an action or decision the board has taken. Nor is the board opting for full, detailed notation and posting of the minutes of the meetings for all to see. The only way that any of us can hear ANY discussion about issues is by calling into the meetings, something that can now be done by all of us as of January's meeting. I urge everyone hear to call in and get connected via phone to the IOA meetings. But not everyone has the time free to listen in. I would promote a thorough notation and posting of minutes would be very helpful.

This clamping down on dissent means that some of the best, brightest, and independent thinking owners are not going to run for the board. By not being on the board, it allows some of us, for now, to make more of a difference with regard to communicating our concerns, and foster greater discussion and awareness. I believe, however, that we really need to find a way to change the rules of the board in terms of allowing freer speech. I, among many, were really irate when the board instituted rules at last year's annual meeting (when elections occurred) that mandated that all questions to the board were to be submitted in advance, no followups were allowed, and no questions relating to Wyndham during the meeting.

2) I read through the several candidates up for election this term. Among them were a couple touting financial experience. However, we have one with great financial experience on the board, and that's Jack Goodstein.

I wish we could get Larry Walker off of the board, but he is too tied into Wyndham. I would urge anyone here who does not want Wyndham back in as the management company for the KBV timeshares to not vote for him.

In addition to Trish Harrington, who will be a solid vote for independence, Brian Reichel would be the other person I would likely endorse. I'd like to find out more about him and be able to ask him questions. But he is a lawyer. And THAT'S someone who we need on the board. There is no one on the board who is currently a lawyer, and I think he could potentially help cut through BS and speak from a legal standing. Personally, I'm most interested in hearing about where he sees his background applying to the IOA, and what his vision is for KBV. So more than we need another person with a financial background on the IOA board, I'd love to see a good lawyer be a part of it. NOTE: It was a lawyer on the board of the Olympic Village Inn in California who was the driver behind ousting Wyndham from the bad takeover contract, and ousting the then President of the board who had entered into that contract which would have lined his own pockets.

Jeff

ValChatelle44

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Val Chatelle III,Pines at MeadowRidge
Einstein says that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the sane result. One of the incumbents needs to go to get new blood and new ideas on our Board. I have the track record the resume and the experience to bring new solutions to our problems. I would love to have more time at KBV but no one in the organization has made the offer to me to fulfill that need.Larry Geiger

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Einstein says that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the sane result. One of the incumbents needs to go to get new blood and new ideas on our Board. I have the track record the resume and the experience to bring new solutions to our problems. I would love to have more time at KBV but no one in the organization has made the offer to me to fulfill that need.Larry Geiger

Larry, new blood for new blood's sake doesn't make sense. Expertise, experience, and wisdom are very important. You stated on the KBV Yahoo Group that you thought Trish should be replaced. Trish is the one person remaining on the board who was personally responsible for getting Wyndham out as the management company for the timeshares and hiring Grand Pacific Resorts. I think we all agree on how great a job Grand Pacific has done in their close to three years as our management company, doing FAR better than Wyndham ever did.

When Wyndham staged a coup a few years ago, they eliminated all of those who had voted them out, with only Trish remaining. What we need to do is get more on the board to support Trish's efforts. And that, due to IOA board rules, no one on the board is allowed to voice dissent in any forum, we don't really get to know what she has tried to do recently in our interests.

So again, new blood for new blood's sake is not necessarily good. For you, I'd recommend, if you're going to be serious about running, that you need to show a good knowledge for history and context and not just make flip sounding statements.

Jeff

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I decided to attend the meeting in person. If you wish to name me as your Proxy to deliver your votes, I will be happy to do that for you.

Part of my reason for going is that I'm going to do everything I can to block a rule the board instituted for the last annual meeting that required any owner wishing to ask a question to submit it in advance on a card, with no followups allowed. They also forbid questions related to Wyndham other than after the meeting officially ended. I realized why they did this a time into the meeting. At the meeting, I was admittedly disruptive when I insisted on followups. I did it for a reason.

It accomplished a number of things, but I was particularly proud when after I pointed out that Linda Kolstad was a Wyndham employee and owned no deeds herself. That she was solely on the board to represent Wyndham's corporate interest. She had not disclosed all of that in her bio for running for the board. A couple got very angry. One of them stood up and said that they had voted for her, but wouldn't have if they had known that she was a Wyndham employee.

I noticed that Dani Ramos put her Wyndham affiliation in her bio this year. A smart move. But she tried to explain that she had a similar vested interest in KBV as any owner. She doesn't. She doesn't own a single deed. She simply works for Wyndham. Now I knew her from when she worked for PAHIO. Wyndham hired her for continuity. And while she may be fond of her time working for KBV, she certainly doesn't have the same interest as an independent owner does.

So I ask that anyone attending the meeting in person work with me to make sure that the meeting is as open and transparent as possible. And not to allow limitations to our right to get our questions answered.

MAKE SURE to read the owners' rules for the meeting before the meeting starts. They only handed them out a couple of minutes prior to starting last year. Don't NOT read them. If we disagree regarding any rule, make sure you vocally object and don't agree to abide by them unless the rule gets changed or gets explained to your satisfaction.

Thanks!

Jeff

KYHOME

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas
As you may know, Linda Kolstad of Wyndham has stepped down from the KBV Board of Directors. Charles Twardzicki has taken her spot on the board, but, as of now, there is no acting President. I understand that both current VP, Larry Walker, and Jack Goodstein have put their hat in the ring, so to speak, for the position of President. As Charles Twardzicki is taking Linda Kolstad's seat, that seat (and Charles) will be on the ballot for next year's election (along with Jack Goodstein's seat). Every other year - three seats, two seats. This ensures continuity on the BOD.

We, as owners (and non-board members) do not have a say in who is President of the KBV BOD, but I'd much prefer having Jack Goodstein in that position, someone who has the right temper and demeanor to really be accepting of different points of view. Furthermore, his long-term vision of having greater participation and influence by individual owners is a goal I can really get behind.

Meanwhile, we all need to get to know and ask questions of those who are running for available seats on the BOD this time around. This time, we have Trish Harrington, Dani Ramos from Wyndham, and Larry Walker in seats up for election.

There will be several on the ballot we may or may not be personally familiar with, but we need to give them a chance and a voice. They need to make themselves available here so we can not only ask questions about their background, but their vision.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!
Good Afternoon! An email went out yesterday to everyone who is on the email list for KBV. You might want to check your email junk box if you didn't receive it. The sender was savekbv.org. This "eblast" named the two candidates we are endorsing this year, Brian Reichel and Trish Harrington. Also, the updated savekbv.org website went live yesterday. This year it explains the voting process and includes a sample ballot - - and how to fill it out! Most importantly, it explains that you MUST assign a proxy - or your votes will not be counted. We are asking you to assign your proxy to Trish Harrington. I am copying the text from the email below. Of course, you can go to savekbv.org to see a lot more information and more specifics about how to vote.

Election Season is upon us!
Just Two Years under New Management, Kauai Beach Villas is making Great Strides!

Barely one year removed from a highly contentious KBV Board Election, we are happy to report that 2018 was a stellar year for our Owners and our beloved island resort home.

Plus, it is that time of year again for the election of Directors to our KBV Board (if you haven’t already, you should receive your ballot in the mail any day now). And, like last year, it is vital that all KBV Owners take a few short minutes to vote for candidates that are committed to keeping our Hawaiian home on this very positive trajectory (and opposed to Wyndham’s ongoing attempts to retake control of KBV).

Here are a few numbers that we think will get your attention….

· Reputation/Service Scores: Our overall “Reputation” score has improved from a low of 404 to 860, an increase of 113%!

· Rental Revenues: NET Rental Revenue to our Association has increased from $243,000 to $1,008,000, an improvement of 315%!

· Reserve Fund Balance: Our Capital Reserve Fund balance has increased from $1,672,000 to $4,410,000, an increase of 164%!

Please Visit Savekbv.org

And cast your votes for Trish Harrington and Brian Reichel.

We've recently updated the SaveKBV.org website. Please visit and...

• Hear from Karen Blackford about the great progress at KBV over the past two years.
  • Learn about SaveKBV endorsed candidates Trish Harrington and Brian Reichel.
  • Learn HOW to vote your KBV Ballot.
  • Have a direct link access to cast your votes online for Trish Harrington and Brian Reichel.
  • Have Questions or Comments? Send them to us and we’ll reply.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Jeff!
Good Afternoon! An email went out yesterday to everyone who is on the email list for KBV. You might want to check your email junk box if you didn't receive it. The sender was savekbv.org. This "eblast" named the two candidates we are endorsing this year, Brian Reichel and Trish Harrington. Also, the updated savekbv.org website went live yesterday. This year it explains the voting process and includes a sample ballot - - and how to fill it out! Most importantly, it explains that you MUST assign a proxy - or your votes will not be counted. We are asking you to assign your proxy to Trish Harrington. I am copying the text from the email below. Of course, you can go to savekbv.org to see a lot more information and more specifics about how to vote.

Election Season is upon us!
Just Two Years under New Management, Kauai Beach Villas is making Great Strides!

Barely one year removed from a highly contentious KBV Board Election, we are happy to report that 2018 was a stellar year for our Owners and our beloved island resort home.

Plus, it is that time of year again for the election of Directors to our KBV Board (if you haven’t already, you should receive your ballot in the mail any day now). And, like last year, it is vital that all KBV Owners take a few short minutes to vote for candidates that are committed to keeping our Hawaiian home on this very positive trajectory (and opposed to Wyndham’s ongoing attempts to retake control of KBV).

· Reputation/Service Scores: Our overall “Reputation” score has improved from a low of 404 to 860, an increase of 113%! (or MORE than DOUBLED!)

· Rental Revenues: NET Rental Revenue to our Association has increased from $243,000 to $1,008,000, an improvement of 315%! (About QUADRUPLED!)

· Reserve Fund Balance: Our Capital Reserve Fund balance has increased from $1,672,000 to $4,410,000, an increase of 164%! (Almost TRIPLED!)

This is all since Grand Pacific was hired as our management company for the timeshares, and again, we need to thank Trish Harrington and Karen Blackford, who were on the board at the time (and I had a hand in it as well), for bringing them in. We have to thank Grand Pacific for their work, and be thankful that they have more than lived up to our hopes. If you vote for any incumbent but Trish Harrington, you're voting essentially to bring Wyndham back in as timeshare manager and end Grand Pacific's contract. Given the above numbers (and our previous experience with Wyndham at the helm for 10 years), would you really want to see Wyndham returned in as management company??

Please Visit Savekbv.org

• Hear from Karen Blackford about the great progress at KBV over the past two years.
  • Have a direct link access to cast your votes online for Trish Harrington and Brian Reichel.

Giving your Proxy to Trish is fine as well. Doesn't matter whether I place your votes or Trish does. What you have is someone you know will do the right thing with them. And yes, make sure you have designated a Proxy to place your votes for you.

Thanks all!

Jeff Bellin

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

· Reputation/Service Scores: Our overall “Reputation” score has improved from a low of 404 to 860, an increase of 113%! (or MORE than DOUBLED!)

· Rental Revenues: NET Rental Revenue to our Association has increased from $243,000 to $1,008,000, an improvement of 315%! (About QUADRUPLED!)

· Reserve Fund Balance: Our Capital Reserve Fund balance has increased from $1,672,000 to $4,410,000, an increase of 164%! (Almost TRIPLED!)

This is all since Grand Pacific was hired as our management company for the timeshares, and again, we need to thank Trish Harrington and Karen Blackford, who were on the board at the time (and I had a hand in it as well), for bringing them in. We have to thank Grand Pacific for their work, and be thankful that they have more than lived up to our hopes. If you vote for any incumbent but Trish Harrington, you're voting essentially to bring Wyndham back in as timeshare manager and end Grand Pacific's contract. Given the above numbers (and our previous experience with Wyndham at the helm for 10 years), would you really want to see Wyndham returned in as management company??

Please Visit Savekbv.org

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FYI, it now looks like I probably will NOT be able to attend the owner's meeting this year. I have a conflict with a booking I previously got for an acting job (My main mean of income!). There's still a possibility I may attend, but I'm saying this in order to make sure you give your Proxy to someone who will be there and you can count on to deliver your vote. Trish Harrington is a great choice as your Proxyholder.

Jeff Bellin

Larry Nuke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas; Bali Hai Resort

My first posting here. TUG name Larry Nuke (I served on Nuclear Submarines in the Navy) real name is Larry Warner. I am the Vice President of the KBV IOA BOD and Treasurer of the KBV AOAO BOD. Please vote to reelect me to the board if you like what I have been doing on your behalf. If you assign your proxy to me I will vote consistent with my performance the past two years on the BOD. Remember, the opinions I express here are my own and not the position of your BOD. I read the TUG postings but typically don't engage much in the discussions unless I see an improper statement about something.

I should correct Jeff Berlin, he keeps calling me Larry Walker.....

Linda our Bylaws state that when a BOD member resigns the board will select a person to replace them who will fill the remaining term of the member who resigned. Hence, Charles will serve until the 2020 Annual Meeting.

Regarding audits of our finances, the BOD approves the accounting firm hired to conduct the audit. They report to the BOD and are independent. I would also point out that board member Dani Ramos is the Regional Controller for Wyndham Vacation Resorts in Hawaii. Dani has extensive accounting experience and 22 years of timeshare experience. I endorse Dani for reelection. You won't find a more trustworthy or honest person.

I hope to see many of you at the Annual Meeting on May 16. Please vote in the election.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Larry - first... thanks for your BoD service.

I have to admit that I was shocked to read your recent email blast with the usage statistics.

The fact that ~10% of the owners actually stay at KBV using their interval is very telling IMHO. Especially when compared to over ~35% of the usage is derived from Wyndham points owners.

Given that stat - I sure hope the BoD keeps in mind their fiduciary duty to all members - including those that have elected to convert to Wyndham points.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
Larry, what is your opinion re: the management contract? I am a new owner, so don't have personal experience (yet), but it has clearly been a contentious issue. Do you feel Grand Pacific has significantly improved conditions at KBV? Do you support renewal of their contract, or recommend returning to Wyndham management?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My first posting here. TUG name Larry Nuke (I served on Nuclear Submarines in the Navy) real name is Larry Warner. I am the Vice President of the KBV IOA BOD and Treasurer of the KBV AOAO BOD. Please vote to reelect me to the board if you like what I have been doing on your behalf. If you assign your proxy to me I will vote consistent with my performance the past two years on the BOD. Remember, the opinions I express here are my own and not the position of your BOD. I read the TUG postings but typically don't engage much in the discussions unless I see an improper statement about something.

I should correct Jeff Berlin, he keeps calling me Larry Walker.....

Linda our Bylaws state that when a BOD member resigns the board will select a person to replace them who will fill the remaining term of the member who resigned. Hence, Charles will serve until the 2020 Annual Meeting.

Regarding audits of our finances, the BOD approves the accounting firm hired to conduct the audit. They report to the BOD and are independent. I would also point out that board member Dani Ramos is the Regional Controller for Wyndham Vacation Resorts in Hawaii. Dani has extensive accounting experience and 22 years of timeshare experience. I endorse Dani for reelection. You won't find a more trustworthy or honest person.

I hope to see many of you at the Annual Meeting on May 16. Please vote in the election.

Apologies about getting your name wrong, Larry. And my last name is Bellin, not Berlin.

Dani has worked for PAHIO and Wyndham, but has zero personal investment in Kauai Beach Villas. If KBV went down and absorbed Wyndham, she would still have a job, whereas we individual owners would be crap out of luck. Keep that in mind. Trish and Brian need your votes if you want to keep KBV independent.

Jeff

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Rsiggy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Gold Canyon, Kauai Beach Villas, Bali. Hai
On-line voting problems: got our voting package yesterday and logged on but can't get beyond the first section-Proxies where clicking on the radio buttons below proxies won't respond. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any suggestion as to how to fix it?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
On-line voting problems: got our voting package yesterday and logged on but can't get beyond the first section-Proxies where clicking on the radio buttons below proxies won't respond. Anyone else encounter this problem? Any suggestion as to how to fix it?

Call Grand Pacific customer service at (888) 477-6967. They're there to support us, and is administering the election.

Jeff

ValChatelle44

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kauai Beach Villas, Val Chatelle III,Pines at MeadowRidge
Linda, I know this is a little slow but everyone appears slower. according to our bylaws, appointees to fill vacancies serve until the end of the term being vacated.
Larry Geiger