• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[Ump] Blows Call In 9th Preventing a "Perfect Game"

Goofyhobbie

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Regardless of whether you are a Cleveland fan or a Detroit Fan or any kind of sports fan, you have to feel sorry for the Detrot pitcher who would have had a perfect game except for a bad call by the first base umpire in a game that ended just a few minutes ago.

With the score ZIP to whatever, the first base ump called a Cleveland batter SAFE when he was obviously OUT! The pitcher went on to pitch a one hitter but GAWD! that was an awful call.

Don't know what will happen to the UMP; but he definitely blew one and should be fired, sent back to the minor leagues or never be allowed to umpire in Detroit.

By the way I am a Cardinal fan; but that was an injustice if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

1950bing

Reaction score
sure you ment umpire in your title. That will make history but not like it should have, sad.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic showing how bad the call was:

109864486-a0d6984ed80f966764b1ac26d1cca469.4c06fe90-scaled.jpg

[added]

and another cap:

Joyce.jpg

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Certainly a historic call. Too bad MLB isn't sure enough of itself to admit that on review, 'The runner was out not safe' and reinstate the pitcher's perfect game.
Something's rotten with this, especially after the umpire admitted his mistake and that his erroneous call cost the pitcher his perfect game.

It'll still be historic, and will be seen by many more people than it otherwise would have been, but as1950bing said, for the wrong reason.

Jim Ricks

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Certainly a historic call. Too bad MLB isn't sure enough of itself to admit that on review, 'The runner was out not safe' and reinstate the pitcher's perfect game.
Something's rotten with this, especially after the umpire admitted his mistake and that his erroneous call cost the pitcher his perfect game.

It'll still be historic, and will be seen by many more people than it otherwise would have been, but as1950bing said, for the wrong reason.

Jim Ricks

Selig can fix it. As the commissioner he has the authority and power to take any action that he deems is in the best interests of baseball.

The only question is whether Selig has the guts to do it. Or if he will simply continue to be his usual simpering self.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Selig can fix it. As the commissioner he has the authority and power to take any action that he deems is in the best interests of baseball.

The only question is whether Selig has the guts to do it. Or if he will simply continue to be his usual simpering self.

Selig could do it, but that would undermine the 'supremacy' of the umpires. iirc, instant replay is not the supreme arbiter in MLB. For the Commish to allow one replay to supersede one umpire opens the door to change baseball at it's most basic. Not that it's not possibly time for that, but that's a different argument.... JR

DonM

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know what will happen to the UMP; but he definitely blew one and should be fired, sent back to the minor leagues or never be allowed to umpire in Detroit.

The guy made a mistake- a high profile one, but it happens every day. You can't fire him or do any of the other things mentioned unless he has a history of bad judgments.

He probably feels as bad as anyone- maybe more so

don

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The guy made a mistake- a high profile one, but it happens every day. You can't fire him or do any of the other things mentioned unless he has a history of bad judgments.

don

I agree. Blown judgment calls are as much a part of the game as fielding errors. They aren't subject to review via instant replay.

SherryS

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
As we head to the Tigers' game this afternoon, we are SICK! We think our pitcher, Galaraga, handled this better than we did. This is the only Tiger perfect game in their long history :(

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score

don

I hate the call. Absolutely hate it. Selig could and should reverse. Firing the Umpire? I would normally say yes but think there should be a worldwide moratorium on firings until the A.....H.... that runs BP is FIRED! If he can't be fired nobody should be fired.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I agree. Blown judgment calls are as much a part of the game as fielding errors. They aren't subject to review via instant replay.
I guess this is where we disagree. I believe that it's more important to get the call right. I think that if there is a way to make better calls that should be done. I like the use of a camera over the net in hockey so that goals can be called accurately. I like the use of replay in basketball to verify that a shooter released the ball before the shot clock ran down. I like replay in football to verify that the receiver actually did catch ball.

There is nothing in the nature of baseball that says blown judgment calls are intended to be part of the game.

Errors are different because errors are part of the skill level of the players. And, as with any sport, the point of the game is the performance of the players.

People don't go to games because the home plate umpire that night is especially good. They do go to games to see a certain pitcher start a game or to see a certain player in the lineup.

I can't understand a logic that says we should just accept that defects are part of the game and let it be. If I manufactured automobiles and had that attitude, I would say that since it's impossible to build 100% perfect automobiles, there's no point in trying to build better autos.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I hate the call. Absolutely hate it. Selig could and should reverse. Firing the Umpire? I would normally say yes but think there should be a worldwide moratorium on firings until the A.....H.... that runs BP is FIRED! If he can't be fired nobody should be fired.

And this is a situation in which the reversal would not affect the outcome of the game. This isn't like a blown call in the fifth inning in which you can't reverse the call because that would change the entire course of the rest of the game.

In this situation all Selig needs do is rule that the game ended one batter earlier and expunge that last at-bat from the game.

Of course Joyce shouldn't be fired. Joyce is actually one of the better umpires. The inability of some other umpires to consistently and accurately calls balls and strikes is much more egregious.

But that also raises an interesting related point. Right now Joyce is the focus of a lot of scorn. Instant replay also helps the umpires by helping them be sure they get it right.

Last edited:

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I am not a baseball fan at all. In fact reading this post was the first I had heard about this. But just reviewing the two pictures presented it doesn't look like to me that the first baseman's foot is on the base. It looks like its hovering over it. However neither is the runners. If you assume that the first baseman's foot continued moving down to the base it looks like he should have hit the bag before the first baseman reached 1st making the runner out.

That being said if the first basemen did hit the bag before the runner got out there and there is evidence to support that I think the commissionier should reverse the call.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess this is where we disagree. I believe that it's more important to get the call right. I think that if there is a way to make better calls that should be done. I like the use of a camera over the net in hockey so that goals can be called accurately. I like the use of replay in basketball to verify that a shooter released the ball before the shot clock ran down. I like replay in football to verify that the receiver actually did catch ball.

There is nothing in the nature of baseball that says blown judgment calls are intended to be part of the game.

Errors are different because errors are part of the skill level of the players. And, as with any sport, the point of the game is the performance of the players.

People don't go to games because the home plate umpire that night is especially good. They do go to games to see a certain pitcher start a game or to see a certain player in the lineup.

I can't understand a logic that says we should just accept that defects are part of the game and let it be. If I manufactured automobiles and had that attitude, I would say that since it's impossible to build 100% perfect automobiles, there's no point in trying to build better autos.

I never said I didn't want to see every sport officiated perfectly. I do.

I said that blown judgment calls are part of baseball. Until they implement automated calling of balls and strikes, all other umpiring blunders are relatively inconsequential, IMO. There are roughly 250 pitches thrown per game, most of which are subject to umpiring judgment, and a large number of them are called incorrectly on a nightly basis. Ask yourself this: If Galaraga had gone to a full count on a hitter in the 3rd inning, and the ump called an outside fastball that was 2" off the plate a strike, would we all be equally pissed that he was "given" a perfect game (assuming Joyce makes the correct call in the 9th)?

Automate the calling of balls and strikes, and then we can talk about reviewing other judgement calls.

P.S. I'd invite anyone to review the 1997 NLCS game 5 between the Braves and Marlins. You'll get to see the impact of the horrible calling of balls and strikes by umpire Eric Gregg (RIP), yet there was less immediate outrage over that game than there's been over this latest incident.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I never said I didn't want to see every sport officiated perfectly. I do.

I said that blown judgment calls are part of baseball. Until they implement automated calling of balls and strikes, all other umpiring blunders are relatively inconsequential, IMO. There are roughly 250 pitches thrown per game, most of which are subject to umpiring judgment, and a large number of them are called incorrectly on a nightly basis. Ask yourself this: If Galaraga had gone to a full count on a hitter in the 3rd inning, and the ump called an outside fastball that was 2" off the plate a strike, would we all be equally pissed that he was "given" a perfect game (assuming Joyce makes the correct call in the 9th)?

Automate the calling of balls and strikes, and then we can talk about reviewing other judgement calls.

P.S. I'd invite anyone to review the 1997 NLCS game 5 between the Braves and Marlins. You'll get to see the impact of the horrible calling of balls and strikes by umpire Eric Gregg (RIP), yet there was less immediate outrage over that game than there's been over this latest incident.
NO argument from me at with that. Given the current level of technology, there is no reason not to automate the calling of balls and strikes.

If we can make line calls in tennis automatically, why can't we do the same in baseball?

I think it's useful to step back and ask ourselves if we were creating the game from scratch, wouldn't we have balls and strikes called automatically instead of by humans? If so, there is no reason not to implement that now.

Even if you don't want to go those lengths, it seems to me that the umpires who do the best job of calling balls and strikes should get premium pay and should be the only ones that work behind the plate.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
NO argument from me at with that. Given the current level of technology, there is no reason not to automate the calling of balls and strikes.

If we can make line calls in tennis automatically, why can't we do the same in baseball?

I think it's useful to step back and ask ourselves if we were creating the game from scratch, wouldn't we have balls and strikes called automatically instead of by humans? If so, there is no reason not to implement that now.

Even if you don't want to go those lengths, it seems to me that the umpires who do the best job of calling balls and strikes should get premium pay and should be the only ones that work behind the plate.

Agree completely.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Automating balls and strikes would change the game dramatically. The strike zone changes from batter to batter and from umpire to umpire. The batter to batter issue would require advanced technology. The fault line in tennis does not change, the foul line does not change, the first down marker does not change (it is always 10 yards away), but the strike zone changes per batter. I am for this change but we should realize this is a change of historic significance for the game.

As far as this no-hitter is concerned, it was absolutely an opportunity of a life time for this pitcher. EVERYTHING must go right for a perfect game. It is virtually impossible for this pitcher to get this chance again. It is an absolute travesty if Selig does not change this result. The pitcher earned it. Period.

pgnewarkboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Automating balls and strikes would change the game dramatically. The strike zone changes from batter to batter and from umpire to umpire. The batter to batter issue would require advanced technology. The fault line in tennis does not change, the foul line does not change, the first down marker does not change (it is always 10 yards away), but the strike zone changes per batter. I am for this change but we should realize this is a change of historic significance for the game.

As far as this no-hitter is concerned, it was absolutely an opportunity of a life time for this pitcher. EVERYTHING must go right for a perfect game. It is virtually impossible for this pitcher to get this chance again. It is an absolute travesty if Selig does not change this result. The pitcher earned it. Period.

Here is what I would do to change the game without the need for instant replay. Automated balls and strikes with red and green indicators lighting up with each pitch. Red for strike, green for ball. Three strikes results in a blinking red light, 4 balls results in a blinking green light and a walk.

The base paids would light up when touched by the runner. Green if no tag out and red if tagged out.

You would get instantaneous results without the need for instant replay and judgment calls by looking at close pictures. Could this be done? I think it could by using some form of radar technology or lasers that register whatever is happening on the field on a computer.

There would no longer be a need for umpires! The games would go quicker. I think it would help the sport tremendously.

1950bing

Reaction score
This event could change how calls are made in the future ( camera review ) if MLB acts on it.
Since that call did not change the outcome of the game AND the umpire has said he blew it, I feel the pitcher should be given the perfect game.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Why A "Perfect Game" Is No Such Thing.

OK, when the ump hollers, "Play Ball !" & the catcher flashes the sign & the pitcher goes into his wind-up, what is the very most favorable outcome once the pitch is on the way -- i.e., the "perfect" outcome -- for the pitcher ?

A called strike, or a strike-swinging, or a foul ball strike ?

No way.

The best possible outcome from each pitch is an infield grounder (with no bad hops) or an easy fly ball -- 1 pitch = 1 out.

Multiply that by 3 outs per inning & 9 innings per game & there's your true Perfect Game.

Strike outs ? Not perfect -- they take at least 3 pitches apiece, usually more.

Call me hard core, but strictly speaking a perfect game in the baseball record books is no such thing.

Just saying.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Great sportsmanship

Why can't fans be as forgiving as Gallalagra. The umpire admitted he really blew the call ,apologized publicly and to the pitcher. IMHO this is one of the best examples of really high quality sportsmanship. Perhaps Obama Selig, and Detroit could give the pitcher some kind of award and highlight the umpires total admission of making a bad call and taking full responsibility for a really bad decision. This is something almost totally lacking in our society and we have become the expert spinners of the world.The umpire is one of the best and has been selected for the World Series.

cotraveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
If we're going to change the rules, here are a few of my suggestions:

• Get rid of the designated hitter in the American League. It's a seniors living center for players who can no longer or never could play defense. What's next? Football style with offensive and defensive specalists?

• Since that will never fly and would generate all kinds of protests, change inter-league play so the visiting team rules apply. When a National League team goes to an American League park, the pitcher bats. When an American League team goes to a National League park the designated hitter is used. If the objective of inter-league play is to let fans see teams from the other league, why not let them see the other league's rules too?

• Return the All Star game to it's original function of showcasing the top players. Let the home team location for the World Series revert to it's former year to year rotation between the two leagues.

There are some others I could mention, but that list should be enough to stir up some of the baseball people.

AwayWeGo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview At Las Vegas

[triennial - points]
Perfecting The Rules.

There are some others I could mention, but that list should be enough to stir up some of the baseball people.
Legalize the spitball.

Restore the height of the pitcher's mount.

Rub all the pine tar you want onto your bat.

Rename the Foul Pole. It's the Fair Pole -- just as Warner Wolf always said.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.​

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As long as the game is played like "tag, you're it," without the use of blocking and tackling, it won't measure up football.

They could at least put some sand traps and water hazards in the outfield to make it more like golf.

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Fans pay a lot of money to see spectacular happenings. When a rarity such as a perfect game is so close, many probably feel robbed due a happening such as this. If it had been a base hit, no one would be saying anything. For major sports contests to be decided by blunders like this, while being a "part of the game", is indeed frustrating.

One begins to wonder if the referee/umpire entities of major sports are directed to call things certain ways sometimes. Although this type of conspiracy theory is dismissed by some, just try to convince some rabid fans of certain teams who seem to consistently receive the short end of things from the refs/umps that something isn't going on.

Seeing there were a couple of recent perfect games thrown this season already, maybe it was becoming too common for the powers that be in baseball?