• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TUG server migration scheduled for this Sunday Night 12/23/2018

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well technically early monday morning (2am eastern), but just a heads up that the sites:

tug2.net (homepage) and tugbbs.com (these forums) will be offline for approximately 1 hour while we migrate both sites to a new server.

the existing hardware these sites have run on has performed flawlessly for going on 12 years now! It is long overdue to move them to newer and faster equipment and that is slated to happen tomorrow night!

We are scheduling this in the very off hours to ensure most folks never even notice the changeover, and at worst case these sites will be unavailable for up to 1 hour.

Thank you for your patience and merry Christmas!

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Brian, there won't be any changes to IP addresses or anything, will there? I have a lot of Tug bookmarks. ;)

Having just migrated my home NAS from one to another, I know the details this sort of thing can require. Good luck!

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What could POSSIBLY go wrong???? :) Good Luck Admins!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
dns changes happen on the back end and are prepared for ahead of time...thankfully we've actually gone thru a full migration of the sites as a test and worked out all the kinks ahead of time...fingers crossed sunday will be a breeze =)

however no, end users should not need to update any links at all to access the site on the new server once complete.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Brian, there won't be any changes to IP addresses or anything, will there? I have a lot of Tug bookmarks. ;)

Having just migrated my home NAS from one to another, I know the details this sort of thing can require. Good luck!

Dave
Even if the IP addresses change, the www paths should remain the same. Your favorites/bookmarks will point to those www paths, not the actual IP address of the server.

I am interested however in your NAS setup at home. I recently had a network interface go out in a WD My Book Live that I have had for years. I suspect it is the network interface based on my research. Luckily I have a fairly recent backup of everything and we recently migrated document retention to OneDrive. I think I could get the stuff off the drive if absolutely necessary, so I will hold on to it in the event I may need to have it disassembled to pull the HDD and connect it to a Linux box. Regardless of that, the problem has me looking in to a new NAS solution for our home. That and we I have filled a 4TB drive with all of our photos and videos.

What are you using in your home NAS? I have been seriously researching a Synology NAS, looking at one of their four bay models. Likely starting out putting in three 8TB drives that will give me 16TB of space running SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID). This should give me the needed redundancy in the event of a single drive failure. Though, reading, it seems that this would just effectively be RAID-5 which seems be out in favor for RAID-6. The problem is that RAID-6 (SHR-2) would require an additional 8TB drive and would still keep my capacity at 16TB. Though I would have the ability to have two drives fail and still be able to rebuild the RAID. None of this comes cheap of course. The three drive setup with a four bay unit comes in at about $1000. Adding the fourth drive ups the price to about $1250.

I did look in to building my own NAS, but it seems that these NAS appliances are so much easier and really not much more money. I have also never built my own PC, so I think I am better going the Synology route. Interested to know what your setup was and how much it cost you.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Best of luck with this, Brian!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Did a project recently where we rolled out 1500 New websites, all with primary and alternate addresses. Oh that is so much fun. LOL.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish you much luck and success. Cruise Critics did an upgrade a couple months ago and their website was down about a week. You could not post new information or add new threads ; you could only read old posts and threads.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I wish you much luck and success. Cruise Critics did an upgrade a couple months ago and their website was down about a week. You could not post new information or add new threads ; you could only read old posts and threads.
They were upgrading their forum software, like TUG did when they went from vBulletin to Xenforo. Though the new Cruise Critic's forum software sucks.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
They were upgrading their forum software, like TUG did when they went from vBulletin to Xenforo. Though the new Cruise Critic's forum software sucks.

Amen to that, and they refuse to integrate Tapatalk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Brian, from where I'm sitting it looks like things are working. How did the upgrade go?

Dave

tombanjo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HCNY
Re NAS - 4 8TB drives in RAID 5 or 6 would provide 24TB of storage. That is a HUGE amount of storage. A 3 minute song encoded FLAC at 44.1/16 is 22 meg. Which means you could store over 1 million songs.

I just bought a used ReadyNAS 4 bay on eBay with 4 2TB drives to consolidate 3 various old seagate raid drives and with the overhead o/s and RAID 5 it's still over 5 TB and thousand and thousands of music files, pictures, saved tv shows, etc and still a huge amount of space left. I keep a select amount of backup in the cloud as well as a disaster can still wipe out your local NAS. The units with a bigger number of bays (over 2) generally have a better interface and feature set.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Brian, from where I'm sitting it looks like things are working. How did the upgrade go?

Dave
I think the upgrade is happening tonight, not last night.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Re NAS - 4 8TB drives in RAID 5 or 6 would provide 24TB of storage. That is a HUGE amount of storage. A 3 minute song encoded FLAC at 44.1/16 is 22 meg. Which means you could store over 1 million songs.

I just bought a used ReadyNAS 4 bay on eBay with 4 2TB drives to consolidate 3 various old seagate raid drives and with the overhead o/s and RAID 5 it's still over 5 TB and thousand and thousands of music files, pictures, saved tv shows, etc and still a huge amount of space left. I keep a select amount of backup in the cloud as well as a disaster can still wipe out your local NAS. The units with a bigger number of bays (over 2) generally have a better interface and feature set.
In a 4x8TB RAID-6, you would only get 16 TB of storage, RAID-5 would provide 24TB. I certainly don't need 24 or even 16TB right now. I only have 4TB of data, but I have started shooting a lot of video on vacations and that can eat up storage much faster than any songs ever will. I shot over 600GB of video and photos on our last two week B2B cruises. Over time I am sure I will get better with shooting and won't shoot or keep quite so much. Even still, video is a huge data hog.

I am thinking of going with three 8TB drives running in SHR (Synology Hybrid Raid). This is pretty much the same as RAID-5 but gives you the ability to more easily upgrade to larger drives later one at a time and it is thus better able to manage all the capacity and limit unused storage in the RAID.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Dave

isnt till tonight =)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
:whooopie:

This I must agree with you 110%.

just visited it, that is alot of white space for sure. im sure one would get used to it eventually though!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
isnt till tonight =)

Well, see how I get? Always early, always jumping the gun. My track coach hated that... LOL! :)

Tell me tomorrow how it went. ;)

Dave

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
if I can post and you can read it after 3am or so...im hoping itll be a success! =D

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
just visited it, that is alot of white space for sure. im sure one would get used to it eventually though!
It really isn't that. I have found no way to easily view Watched Threads and Watched forums in one (or even two) place(s).

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
should be kicking off here in the next few minutes!

hope to see all of you in about an hour =)

Bwolf

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Things seem to be working just fine. :cheer:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
a few wonky items going on with emails...and somehow our brand new server is already on some sort of blacklist (earthlink/att/few others)...but hopefully we can sort that out quickly and be back to 100%

none of this should impact your browsing experience though!