TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

TUG celebrates 26th birthday!

Discussion in 'About the Rest of TUG' started by TUGBrian, Oct 12, 2019.

1. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

26 years ago this month my father and a group of other Timeshare Owners began to organize what was originally a Prodigy Bulletin Board System (where TUGBBS came from) composed of a handful of Timeshare owners discussion resorts and Timesharing, into what we now call TUG.

TUG was/is actually one of the very first commercial sites on the Internet and the very first website period relating to Timeshares! not sure how many of you remember back to 1993, but the internet wasnt nearly as popular as it is now. The TUG website is older than any other Timeshare related website (and the vast majority of all websites period!)

Over the last Twenty Six years, TUG has helped tens of thousands of timeshare owners, many to this day remain to pass on the gift of knowledge they likely received themselves many moons ago through the various websites and TUGBBS forum installations we have had over the years.

With Millions of dollars worth of Timeshares sold and rented by TUGGERS. With over 44 million in the past few years alone!

On top of that, literally millions of dollars worth of money saved just from folks finding TUG in time to discover the resale market....with over 13 million recorded in just this version of the forum!

More than that though is the unimaginable value of information passed on and learned year after year through nothing more than Timeshare owners helping each other understand and best use this product that comes with no instruction manual. I have even heard in the past TUG is the "handbook" for Timeshares, and believe it to be true to this day.

This community is truly one of a Kind, providing Timeshare owners a place they can truly get help and advice without having to worry about being scammed or ripped off!

other minor historical events that ALSO happened in 1993!

• Politics: Apartheid finally ended in South Africa.
    • The Top Song was Dreamlover by Mariah Carey
    • The Big Movies included Jurassic Park, Mrs. Doubtfire and The Fugitive
    • Price of Bayer Aspirin in 1993: $3.84/100
      Sony (radio) Walkman: $29.98
    • The World Population was ~ 5,477,000,000
    • US Life Expectancy: Males: 72.2 years, Females: 78.8 years
    • The Pentium Processer was invented in 1993.
    • The 1993 VHS release of Aladdin sold 10.6 million copies in its first week.
    • Toronto won the world series
    • Dallas won the Superbowl
    • Florida State won the National Title in Football beating nebraska
    • Pete Sampras / Steffie Graf won wimbleton
    • In 1993, total Internet traffic amounted to approximately 100 TB for the year. As of June 2008, Cisco Systems estimated Internet traffic at 160 TB/s. In other words, the amount of Internet used per second in 2008 exceeded all of the Internet used in 1993.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 1:17 AM
  2. pedro47

pedro47 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Happy Birthday TUG and I pray you can see many and have many more Birthday’s.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::wave::hi::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.
    All Thanks goes to your Father and the others Brave Pioneers.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    TUGBrian likes this.
  3. lockewong

lockewong TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Marriott Kauai Beach Club, HGVC Sea World, Bay Club, Tahoe Seasons
    Happy Birthday! Thank you TUG for a generous, helpful community. I have learned so much. I am very grateful for all the members who answered my private questions in addition to the weekly posts on the website.

TUGBrian likes this.
  4. jbeachlvr

jbeachlvr TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Marriott Aruba Surf Club
    The Suites at Eastern Slope Inn
    Vistana Flex
    Congratulations, and HBD!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TUGBrian likes this.
  5. rickandcindy23

rickandcindy23 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wyndham Plat,RCI pts,Shell,WorldMark,OKW,SSR pts; Marriott's Willow Ridge;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa; SBP; Blue Ridge Village.
    Wow! That is amazing. Congrats to TUG and Brian's dad. How is he, anyway?

I barely knew about computers and connecting to the internet via phone lines until about 1995. I would never have found TUG that way.

Didn't join until 2005. A salesperson at Wyndham on Maui told me about TUG (no Wyndham timeshares on Maui, so very odd that they had a sales' center). Our daughter and son-in-law were with us that trip, and our daughter got us out of there quickly by saying I was an expert at timeshare. He said, "You probably know about TUG?" Of course I didn't. He realized I wasn't a timeshare expert after telling me about TUG. I wasn't all that knowledgeable back then, like our daughter thought, but I am somewhat expertish now. :)

T-Dot-Traveller and TUGBrian like this.
  6. Karen G

Karen G Moderator

Resorts Owned:
    Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
    Congratulations, Brian, and happy birthday TUG! It's a fun place to be.

TUGBrian likes this.
  7. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Happy Birthday, TUG! And many, many more! It's fun helping people make the best of a GOOD THING (timesharing) I missed the beginning, but was a paid member back on Prodigy. My, how time flies!

Jim

TUGBrian likes this.
  8. LisaH

LisaH TUG Lifetime Member

Congrats! How is your dad Bill doing? How old is he now? Wish you and your family the best!

TUGBrian likes this.
  9. slip

slip TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Pono Kai, 20 wks: Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
    Awesome post, Congratulations TUG!!

TUGBrian likes this.
  10. DaveNW

DaveNW TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    WorldMark
    All well-deserved Congratulatory kudos aside, I want to personally thank Tug and its keepers for enriching my life. I've been hanging around since before Tug was a Tween, and my life has been greatly improved for the experience. You guys have collectively rocked my world, and I owe you bigly. ;)

Thanks for the memories, Brian. :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Dave :wave:

P.S. Not to pick nits, but I'm pretty sure the 1993 Women's Wimbledon winner was Steffi Graf, not Debbie Graf. :)

TUGBrian and amycurl like this.
  11. jackio

jackio Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sand Pebbles, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, Quarter House, Sheraton Broadway Plantation
    Congratulations and happy birthday TUG! This BBS is a part of my daily routine. I joined in 1996 or 1997, after the Prodigy days but with the former format. I consider myself fortunate to have found TUG and the generous TUGGERs who so freely share their knowledge with others.

TUGBrian and alwysonvac like this.
  12. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

Thanks for pointing that out, Dave. As a huge tennis nut in the 90s, that was driving me crazy, LOL!

Congrats! I am only-college-students-had-email years old, so I well remember those early days of the web. :)

DaveNW likes this.
  13. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

He turned 73 this year and is still enjoying the retired life in the villages!

14. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

I have also corrected the Wimbledon winner =D

amycurl and DaveNW like this.
  15. T-Dot-Traveller

T-Dot-Traveller TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Mayan Palace Regency
    Taranova
    Thank your Dad for creating a true “ pay it forward “community where sharing information
    is the continuous norm .

Does he know any baseball scouts ?
    - the Blue Jays need some of that pitching they had in 93.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    TUGBrian likes this.
  16. AnnaS

AnnaS TUG Member

Congratulations and Happy Birthday TUG. Thank you to your dad and now you for keeping this site going!

TUGBrian likes this.
  17. cerralee

cerralee TUG Member

Happy Birthday TUG! Thanks for providing me with the knowledge of how to successfully vacation! I remember dial up and rescinding my first timeshare purchase because of TUG!

TUGBrian likes this.