TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Trying to decide on best program

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by Riekl, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Riekl

Riekl Guest

1) Is there a vacation destination you wish to visit most of the time or on a regular basis? if so where?

Ocean view properties are preferred, larger properties with restaurants nice pools etc.

2) Do you want to visit your home resort at least half the time, or do you want to trade more than half the time?

I could be sold on going to the same place if it was really nice, but like variety as well.

3) What are your 5 top trade destinations?

completely unknown :(

4) How many people do you usually travel with?

Often it will be just me and my partner, on occasion my 2 boys will join.

5) Can you travel any time, or are you locked into the school schedule?

Can travel any time

6) Can you make firm plans 12 or more mos. in advance?

I can, but frequently I want to be able to go with less notice.

7) Can you vacation for a full week at a time?

Easily

8) What level of accommodations do you prefer on a scale of 1 to 5 stars?

4*

9) How much can you afford to spend upfront, without financing?

$5000

10) How much can you afford to spend every year for a maintenance fee that will come due right after Christmas, and increase each year?

$2500

11) Are you a detail oriented planner?

Pretty much so yes!

12) Do you understand that once you buy a timeshare, it may be very difficult to sell or give away, and you are responsible for all fees, until you do?

yes!

2. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

Cat: Where are you going?
    Alice: Which way should I go?
    Cat: That depends on where you are going.
    Alice: I don’t know.
    Cat: Then it doesn’t matter which way you go

If you don't give us at least some idea of where you want to travel, it's pretty hard to make a recommendation. Do you prefer Hawaii, Carribean, Mexico, South Carolina, Gulf Coast FL, etc...

rhonda and mpumilia like this.
  3. Riekl

Riekl Guest

sure sorry :) Warm, ocean :) hahah Florida, CArribean, South Carolina would all be good. Not a fan of Mexico.

4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We often suggest newbies rent in a few various systems. Attend some sales presentations (but DON'T BUY!!!) You can rent here on TUG in the Marketplace at the top of this page, or from Redweek.com or other sites. Often, rentals are available at lower cost than the underlying maintenance fees. You say you want 4 star accommodations. That pretty much relegates your choices to the hotel branded TSs. (Hilton, Marriott, Hyatt) They don't generally have lots of locations, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. Any of those will have enough trading power to go about wherever you desire. One thing that differs between TSs and hotels.TSs HAVE to be booked very early. A year is not too soon. There is very little 'last Minute' availability. Hotels can be happy with 65% occupancy, whereas TSs run close to full occupancy year round.

Stick around TUG. Do some reading on the forums. Get an idea where you'd like to go and check the rentals.

Happy hunting for the perfect vacation.

Jim

5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

You say you want warm, ocean, nice places with on site restaurants, yet are not a fan of Mexico. What you describe as desirable sounds exactly like the majority of all-inclusive Mexican resorts where they pick you up at the airport, and you never leave the resort until They return you to the airport. They are expensive, but the experience is pretty special.

Jim

6. CO skier

CO skier TUG Member

I think Marriott would be a good fit for you. Lots of ocean front properties in the destinations you prefer.

Choose a location that you might want to visit during high demand times (Platinum ownership) and buy a resale deed at that property. Join Interval International in the years you want to trade to other destinations. Marriott has a preference window in II for other Marriott locations. Since you can travel anytime, put in an ongoing search at the resort(s) of your choice more than a year in advance, and you will likely get the exchange you want.

Marriott offers Destination Points ownerships, but I think deeded weeks are a better value.

Check out the Marriott forum and post some questions there.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/marriott-vacation-club.29/

dayooper likes this.
  7. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    I would look into HGVC and consider getting a southwest Florida affiliate as your home resort that can also trade in Interval to give you the most flexibility. Not all have restaurants on site but close enough to the resorts to go to them.

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  8. talkamotta

talkamotta TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Marriott has lots of locations on both coasts and hawaii. I've never been to a bad Marriott. Try to get a 2 bedroom lockoff. That way you can deposit the lockoff if it's just you and your partner. You will be able to get another week somewhere else. Check out ebay and put some of the places you like on a watch list so you can see what they are selling for. Always do platinum.

9. rboesl

rboesl TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
    Vidanta Grand Mayan
    Villa del Arco Cobo
    Grandview Las Vegas
    Vacation Village at Bonaventure
    I would have a different suggestion. Find a low cost low maintenance fee resort that's part of the Vacation Village group. It's not one of the big sexy resort systems. But, they have locations in Orlando (VV @ Parkway), Ft. Lauderdale (VV @ Westin or Bonaventure), Williamsburg & McGaheysville (Massanutten), VA, as well as the Bershires in MA, and many affiliated locations in California. You can usually find a unit at The Grandview @ Las Vegas which has one of the lowest maintenance fees and gives good bang for the buck for dollars per point. But you will have to use RCI to do exchanges.

10. bizaro86

bizaro86 TUG Member

For your desired locations, I agree Marriott is probably your best bet. Maybe get a 2 bedroom Grand Vista, and use the Florida club to trade into other Florida locations?

Years that doesn't interest you, you could trade using interval to myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, USVI, Aruba, or St Kitts.

I would comment that this plan requires you to make plans a year or more in advance for many destinations. Florida Club would be 6 months.

11. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Another vote for Marriott. High end resorts with lots of locations including close to the beach/ocean. Their Destination Club trust points are very expensive but offers maximum flexibility including partial week, any day check in and later bookings. Resale weeks will meet your purchase price budget. With resale weeks, you can only trade into other resorts through a 3rd party exchange company, i.e. Interval International but Marriott deposits get priority to be exchanged into other Marriott properties.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
  12. talkamotta

talkamotta TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

If you are looking at Marriotts, then watch the mfs. Some can be as much as $2600 and others are $1400 or less. There have been times when I have traded into a resort for less than a person's maintenance fees. Especially if they are over the $1600 mark.

13. CanadaGuyEh

CanadaGuyEh Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Hilton Grand Vacation - 2 platinums
    I have Hilton HGVC points - you can put those into Interval?

14. VacationForever

Hilton only trades in RCI.

15. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Except for HGVC affiliates in Florida, Scotland and (Edit to Delete: Calif) which also trade in II.

Can you buy a resale MVC past ROFR for less than $5k? You can buy HGVC in those locations for that.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  16. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    What CA affiliate trades in II?

17. CalGalTraveler

CalGalTraveler TUG Member

Doesn't Grand Pacific trade II?

If not, I stand corrected on Calif. Edited the post above.

18. buzglyd

buzglyd TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Lagoon Tower
    HGVC Carlsbad Seapointe
    Gaslamp Plaza Suites
    Carlsbad Inn
    SVV Bella
    There might be a couple that trade in II but none of the HGV Carlsbad properties.

CalGalTraveler likes this.
  19. VacationForever

There are a few MVC resorts that have no ROFR. Even for those with ROFR, depending on the property there are many that can get past ROFR at $5K for red/platinum season.

20. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    If its an affiliate that chooses to be a member of Interval. For example I own at Surf Club of Marco Island and Eagles Nest of Marco Island and they both allow owners to trade in interval.

Ernie McClellan likes this.
  21. ontilt

ontilt TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC Bay Club
    HGVC Valdoro x2
    Worldmark
    I think HGVC can allow you to get in at the price point you're looking for and there are a fair amount of properties to exchange. I've found the program to be very flexible as a point-based system and if you have flexibility and it's just two of you, you can generally get into places in the 30 - 90 day range. The points also allow you to downsize your unit selection so you can get more days out of the program. Lastly, within 30 days, there is also an open season option that allows you to pay cash for a unit at a fairly discounted rate. A 1BR may run around $150 a night, for example, which let's you take extra days if you're flexible on travel and don't want to commit to another deed.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
    Ernie McClellan likes this.