• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Try to Cancel My WestGate Need Help!!!!

Kimmi592

Reaction score
We both signed the letter. Purchased in Florida. So we have 10 days as it says on the contract. What does the price matter?

Kimmi592

Reaction score
I believe you will be fine, HOWEVER, if you will sleep better at night then do it again. Send it via Certified Mail, and do not answer any phone calls you receive from them as it will likely be disguised as a sales call (or to talk you out of rescinding).

Sharp call on your part to rescind! TUG members will be very proud of your decision to stay away from Wastegate!

I believe you will be fine, HOWEVER, if you will sleep better at night then do it again. Send it via Certified Mail, and do not answer any phone calls you receive from them as it will likely be disguised as a sales call (or to talk you out of rescinding).

Sharp call on your part to rescind! TUG members will be very proud of your decision to stay away from Wastegate!

I sent one to the actual resort and one to the cancellation address, both certified mail. I just want to make sure there was nothing else. I don’t trust them and I have called to ask and of course I don’t get a straight answer, but I did call and talk to the notary that did our paperwork and he said that was all I needed to do. But that can’t be trusted. I don’t remember seeing any other papers with instruction, but afraid I missed it.

Kimmi592

Reaction score
Send certified. Be sure both you and your SO or spouse sign. What state did you purchase? The state in which you purchase may give you only 5 date. What was the price of your Ts?

We both signed the letter. Purchased in Florida. So we have 10 days as it says on the contract. What does the price matter?

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1

Price doesn’t matter. We try to track how much TUG have saved TS owners.
As half of tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming. In fact, if you rescind, you’re already doing better than half of all tuggers. The tracker is below.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ions-of-dollars-cancelling-timeshares.196108/

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I sent one to the actual resort and one to the cancellation address, both certified mail. I just want to make sure there was nothing else. I don’t trust them and I have called to ask and of course I don’t get a straight answer, but I did call and talk to the notary that did our paperwork and he said that was all I needed to do. But that can’t be trusted. I don’t remember seeing any other papers with instruction, but afraid I missed it.
You'll be fine. Sleazy as Wastegate sales people are, we don't trust them, but the letter to the Ocoee, FL address will get it done. It's state law that they process the rescission, and they won't mess with that. They have (up to) 45 days to refund your down payment and are under no obligation to inform you of it's progress, so this wait will be stressful, just console yourselves that it WILL be done, and you've escaped their clutches.

Jim

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Please don’t call Wastegate or accept their calls. We got one report of a Wastegate Ts owner who accepted a call, and Wastegate tried to make it seem like he accepted a revise offer via the phone call.

The link to the post is here https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-timeshare-merged.208087/page-15#post-2310017

Last edited:

Kimmi592

Reaction score
Price doesn’t matter. We try to track how much TUG have saved TS owners.
As half of tuggers initially bought developer/resort TS, there is no shaming. In fact, if you rescind, you’re already doing better than half of all tuggers. The tracker is below.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...ions-of-dollars-cancelling-timeshares.196108/
Well it was $7500, magically down from $33,000. I don’t know how this even happened!! I knew what it was before we went there, but somehow ended up signing. It’s crazy!! Now I just want to make sure we’re out!

Kimmi592

Reaction score
Please don’t call Wastegate or accept their calls. We got one report of a Wastegate Ts owner who accepted a capo, and Wastegate tried to make it seem like he accepted a revise offer.

The link to the post is here https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-timeshare-merged.208087/page-15#post-2310017
Ok I won’t call again. I was very careful of what I said for just that reason. I only said I wanted to cancel and asked what they needed. They asked if they could do anything and I said no I just want to cancel. They asked me why and I said I don’t need to tell them that.

Kimmi592

Reaction score
The CD is very likely where the recession instructions are located. That is where I found mine a couple years ago when I purchased and then rescinded a Westgate contract. Get to a computer, access the instructions and follow them exactly. You have thousands and thousands of dollars on the line, and you only have one chance to rescind in time, before becoming a very unhappy (and poorer) Westgate owner.
Does anyone know what instructions were on the CD? I returned all of that not thinking anything would be on the CD and I don’t have it anymore. Is there anything other than writing the letter?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know what instructions were on the CD? I returned all of that not thinking anything would be on the CD and I don’t have it anymore. Is there anything other than writing the letter?
It’s probably the cancellation instructions plus Promo materials. As long as you followed the rescission instructions exactly, you should be fine.

Kimmi592

Reaction score
It’s probably the cancellation instructions plus Promo materials. As long as you followed the rescission instructions exactly, you should be fine.
This is what the actual contract says. Sorry to be so paranoid, but I just need to know if that CD had some other instructions on it that are different and I messed up. Or if there was a hidden paper somewhere in the binder that I missed and now don’t have access to.

Attachments

• 43641277-7D82-4181-81DD-EC2CBF09B70C.jpeg
    43641277-7D82-4181-81DD-EC2CBF09B70C.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 92

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is what the actual contract says. Sorry to be so paranoid, but I just need to know if that CD had some other instructions on it that are different and I messed up. Or if there was a hidden paper somewhere in the binder that I missed and now don’t have access to.
If that’s what you have on paper, the Cd has nothing else important. As long as you sent certified and both you and your SO or spouse are named within and signed the rescission letter, you are fine. Relax, and get a drink.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Well it was $7500, magically down from $33,000. I don’t know how this even happened!! I knew what it was before we went there, but somehow ended up signing. It’s crazy!! Now I just want to make sure we’re out!

Goodbye timeshare, hello 7500 bux! You can do a lot of holiday renting for 7500 bux.

Good for you.

Just remember, that trinket they offer is not worth the hours of pressure and aggravation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kimmi592

Reaction score
So I read on the attorney general's website this :"A timeshare resale advertiser must not collect any payment or engage in any resale advertising activities until the timeshare owner delivers a signed written agreement for the services." So they had taken a down payment before we signed anything. Would this go against the the law?

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I read on the attorney general's website this :"A timeshare resale advertiser must not collect any payment or engage in any resale advertising activities until the timeshare owner delivers a signed written agreement for the services." So they had taken a down payment before we signed anything. Would this go against the the law?
No. You bought developer or detail, not resale.

lati

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
hello, I’m out of recession period, any ways how I can cancel TS without hurting my score? Thank you

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
hello, I’m out of recession period, any ways how I can cancel TS without hurting my score? Thank you
There is no way. Sorry.

Where is your TS deed located? Owners defaulting on mortgages on timeshares deeded in CA, FL, Maine, SC, WI, HI, or MT get anti-deficiency protection, if they don’t object to the foreclosure. Anti-deficiency protection is when resorts can’t sue you for the foreclosure sale deficient balance.

If you made the hard decision to default, please kindly let us know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.

theo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m out of recession period, any ways how I can cancel TS without hurting my score?

As already stated above, it's plainly too late to "cancel" your contract. No information has been provided regarding when or where you actually purchased, but I will merely note that Wastegate has a program in which you can "deedback" an ownership (if and ONLY if) there is no outstanding loan balance and no unpaid maintenance fees.

If "accepted" into the Wastegate "Legacy" program, you would still have to pay their extortion fee to do so, variously reported as somewhere between $900 -- $1,200. Any purchase money and / or maintenance fees you have paid to date is simply gone.

If there is no unpaid loan balance, stopping any further payment of maintenance fees is unlikely to result in a negative credit report. Defaulting on a loan however is likely a different matter in terms of negative credit report consequences.

Surely not what you want to hear, but just some additional info. I'm sorry that you got involved with those Wastegate parasites. :(

Last edited:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m out of recession period, any ways how I can cancel TS without hurting my score?

The other piece of advice I will add is what many TUGgers will say just in case you were thinking of going down this route. There is no need to hire an attorney. Do not go contacting any of these companies, charities, or law firms that claim they can exit/cancel/relieve you from your contract. If they are not outright scams, at best, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself.

But as others have noted above, it would help if you could provide a little more information such as when and where you purchased it, what the original purchase price was, how much you still have left owing on the mortgage, and if your MFs are up-to-date or not.

lati

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westgate
The other piece of advice I will add is what many TUGgers will say just in case you were thinking of going down this route. There is no need to hire an attorney. Do not go contacting any of these companies, charities, or law firms that claim they can exit/cancel/relieve you from your contract. If they are not outright scams, at best, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do what you can do yourself.

But as others have noted above, it would help if you could provide a little more information such as when and where you purchased it, what the original purchase price was, how much you still have left owing on the mortgage, and if your MFs are up-to-date or not.
It’s Westgate resort in Orlando, Florida, down is 2500, full price 22500. Bought on 11/7/2020

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s Westgate resort in Orlando, Florida, down is 2500, full price 22500. Bought on 11/7/2020

What has changed in less than a month? Buyers remorse?

In any event, you own it now so do try to make the best use of it if you are unable to unload it (which you won't be able to do since you have an outstanding loan). You could walk away but that will negatively affect your credit.

That said, do consider using your ownership to exchange to another vacation location, or simply reserve a juicy week each year and rent it out to offset your expenses.

As LannyPC wrote: Do NOT use any Timeshare Exit type Company as they will steal your money and do NOTHING for you. Of course they will tell you otherwise so be sure not to be scammed by anyone! If some idiot comes out of the woodwork for you claiming they have a buyer then DO NOT pay them UNTIL the proceeds are in your pocket! You wouldn't pay to sell your house in advance, and the exact same holds true for a Timeshare transaction.

By the way, your Wastegate Timeshare is worth little or nothing so don't anticipate people banging your door down to purchase it. It is what it is.

Do give serious thought to spending $15 and become a member of TUG. It will be the best $15 you will ever spend! You should receive excellent Timeshare advice here.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@lati We hope you are well and healthy. If you made the difficult decision to default, please kindly let us know if your credit got affected. It would help tuggers in similar situations moving forward.