• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble transferring Marriott points to United miles

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
On August 29, I transferred 210,000 Marriott points to United miles, or so I thought. The points immediately disappeared from my Marriott account, but after several days the miles still had not appeared in my United account. Long story short, the points were “lost”. Over the next 13 days, I spent a total of 11 hours and 15 minutes on the phone with both United and Marriott (mostly Marriott Elite Services), and yesterday they replaced the points in my Marriott account and today I booked the award flights to Maui for our son and dil.

I was told along the way that people who have attempted to transfer more than 60,000 points have had this problem with points “disappearing “, and to be sure it didn’t happen again I should transfer in batches of no more than 30,000 points at a time for the time being.

I will say that everyone I spoke with was nice and professional, although I frequently was told that the person I talked to previously didn’t fill out the correct form, and that they would do it correctly......until the next person told me the same thing....Oh, and I was given a total of 45,000 points for the inconvenience....11+ hours for 45K points.....Oh well, it’s all good now!

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Yeah, that sucks. What a colossal waste of time for something which should be automated. Unfortunately, I think we should expect to hear similar stories in future about Marriott.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
. . .

I was told along the way that people who have attempted to transfer more than 60,000 points have had this problem with points “disappearing “, and to be sure it didn’t happen again I should transfer in batches of no more than 30,000 points at a time for the time being.

. . .

That just doesn't make sense. You get a 5,000 airline mile bonus for transferring 60,000 Marriott points. If you transfer in batches of 30,000 points you will not earn the airline mile bonus.

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
That just doesn't make sense. You get a 5,000 airline mile bonus for transferring 60,000 Marriott points. If you transfer in batches of 30,000 points you will not earn the airline mile bonus.
United does not give the bonus 5,000 miles. The transfer for them is 3 points:1.1 miles

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
United does not give the bonus 5,000 miles. The transfer for them is 3 points:1.1 miles

I understand that the transfer ratio is not the standard 3:1 but where do you see that you will not receive a 5,000 mile bonus for a 60,000 point transfer?

This is from the Marriott website:
Watch Your Points Take Off
Transfer your points to your frequent-flyer program, and as a bonus, we’ll add 15,000 points for every 60,000 points you transfer to airline miles.

There are no disclaimers to the statement and there is nothing in the T&C to say that United is treated differently than the other airlines.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
United is actually 3:1.1 as they are part of the RewardsPlus. Nothing that says you don't get the additional 15K for 60K transferred. So if you transfer 60K in MR points, you should get 20K +2K + 5K + 500 miles?

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
well that totally sucks (if you don't get the bonus). I really wish this SPG/Marriott thing had never happened. I hate having to be downgraded to Marriott...

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
United is actually 3:1.1 as they are part of the RewardsPlus. Nothing that says you don't get the additional 15K for 60K transferred. So if you transfer 60K in MR points, you should get 20K +2K + 5K + 500 miles?
I agree that OP should still get the 15K bonus for every 60K on top of the 3:1.1 transfer rate.

Dawnwrey

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN, WSJ-CV
Well, perhaps I did miss out on my bonus. Honestly, after so many days and hours of trying to get this problem fixed, I guess I let my guard down. At least I got 45K in consolation points, which is equal to 15K miles, if I am thinking clearly, and they are more flexible as Marriott points. That’s what I am telling myself.....

Last edited: