• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Traveling To Williamsburg & VA Beach, Va This Weekend

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Williamsburg and Virginia Beach was hit this morning with a winter blizzard(snow and heavy winds). Please call your timeshare resorts in advance to check on the roads conditions.

This is a suggestion only.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To all who can read this. This is not a suggestion: This is a Warning!!! Please do not travel to Williamsburg or Va Beach, VA today. Please call your resort ASAP for an updated status.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can read articles on this blizzard from the Virginian Pilot newspaper and the following television networks in the Tidewater viewing area: WAVY TV(NBC); WTKR (CBS) & WVEC (ABC) .

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interstate 64 E & W are clear.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, when it snows here like it did Wednesday/Thursday; we're crippled around here and it's just not good to be on the road if you don't absolutely have to do it.

I went to work on the night shift Wednesday night. It hadn't started to snow. When I looked outside about 10:30 pm, the landscape was blanketed. I took my husband's truck as a precaution since our two other cars are very low. When I got off at 4:30 am to leave, I couldn't get out of the parking lot. The parking lots had not been plowed. My employer's plow had been disabled due to a tractor's trailer sliding into it earlier in the night.

Even with help trying to dig me out by a maintenance employee, I ended up spending an additional 12 hours after my shift ended at the job site. AAA, tow trucks, cabs, food, etc. wasn't available. My husband couldn't help me with no viable transportation at home. It really sucked and I wondered how folks could possibly deal with this type of weather year after year. We very rarely get this type of weather.

I went out to the parking lot one last time to try to move my truck since the sun had been shining all day (but still way below freezing). No luck. One fella leaving for the day tried to manually push while I gave it gas. No luck. Another guy coming in for his shift made the offer to push me out with his vehicle. I appreciated it, but declined. I figured if I couldn't get out of the parking lot on my own, what would happen out on the streets. I sat there another 15 minutes not wanting to go back inside. I was exhausted, hungry, frustrated, and unkempt. I called my husband looking for a "bright idea." Nothing. I tried one last time. I broke free!:cheer: I was nervous but felt good to finally have some control over my circumstances.

Once I got up on the interstate, road conditions were much better. There were few people driving. I was about 10 minutes from home and hit an ice patch. Fortunately, I was driving at a speed for the conditions. I spun around, hit the retaining wall, spun again and fortunately stopped with no other vehicles involved. I blew both airbags, broke the windshield and destroyed the bumper. I was extremely relieved when a nice man stopped, checked to see if I was okay, got me in his truck, set off flairs, waved vehicles around and called the police. Wow, what a nice person, who thought of everything!

When the police officer came, he assessed the damage and noted that the vehicle was most likely driveable. I only had some small scrapes and bruises to my hands. The officer suggested that I drive the vehicle home since I lived nearby. He was most concerned about us and/or the vehicle being hit by other vehicles. I drove it and was thankful to finally get home. I had texted my Manager earlier in the day that if I did manage to get out of the parking lot and get home that I would NOT be back that evening for my shift.

I haven't left the house.

I don't know how folks in the "cold weather" states handle it. One bout every few years is enough for me. IT'S TOO MUCH FOR ME!!!!

Be safe. Be warm, wherever you are! :wave:

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is the ramps, backroad & residential roads that are not clear. This is the second day in a row. We have not rec'd any mail from the Postal Service.
When Coastal Southeast Virginia / Tidewater Virginia rec'd more than 5 inches of snow it is a Disaster. Stay off the highways and backroads.

Egret1986, I am very sorry that you were involved in an accident. Driving in the Coastal Virginia in the snow is never fun. Praying that you are well and in Good Health. An automobile can be replaced; but a human life cannot be replaced.

Last edited:

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Yes, when it snows here like it did Wednesday/Thursday; we're crippled around here and it's just not good to be on the road if you don't absolutely have to do it.

I went to work on the night shift Wednesday night. It hadn't started to snow. When I looked outside about 10:30 pm, the landscape was blanketed. I took my husband's truck as a precaution since our two other cars are very low. When I got off at 4:30 am to leave, I couldn't get out of the parking lot. The parking lots had not been plowed. My employer's plow had been disabled due to a tractor's trailer sliding into it earlier in the night.

Even with help trying to dig me out by a maintenance employee, I ended up spending an additional 12 hours after my shift ended at the job site. AAA, tow trucks, cabs, food, etc. wasn't available. My husband couldn't help me with no viable transportation at home. It really sucked and I wondered how folks could possibly deal with this type of weather year after year. We very rarely get this type of weather.

I went out to the parking lot one last time to try to move my truck since the sun had been shining all day (but still way below freezing). No luck. One fella leaving for the day tried to manually push while I gave it gas. No luck. Another guy coming in for his shift made the offer to push me out with his vehicle. I appreciated it, but declined. I figured if I couldn't get out of the parking lot on my own, what would happen out on the streets. I sat there another 15 minutes not wanting to go back inside. I was exhausted, hungry, frustrated, and unkempt. I called my husband looking for a "bright idea." Nothing. I tried one last time. I broke free!:cheer: I was nervous but felt good to finally have some control over my circumstances.

Once I got up on the interstate, road conditions were much better. There were few people driving. I was about 10 minutes from home and hit an ice patch. Fortunately, I was driving at a speed for the conditions. I spun around, hit the retaining wall, spun again and fortunately stopped with no other vehicles involved. I blew both airbags, broke the windshield and destroyed the bumper. I was extremely relieved when a nice man stopped, checked to see if I was okay, got me in his truck, set off flairs, waved vehicles around and called the police. Wow, what a nice person, who thought of everything!

When the police officer came, he assessed the damage and noted that the vehicle was most likely driveable. I only had some small scrapes and bruises to my hands. The officer suggested that I drive the vehicle home since I lived nearby. He was most concerned about us and/or the vehicle being hit by other vehicles. I drove it and was thankful to finally get home. I had texted my Manager earlier in the day that if I did manage to get out of the parking lot and get home that I would NOT be back that evening for my shift.

I haven't left the house.

I don't know how folks in the "cold weather" states handle it. One bout every few years is enough for me. IT'S TOO MUCH FOR ME!!!!

Be safe. Be warm, wherever you are! :wave:
Wow, what a story. SO glad you are okay, but very sorry about the damage to your vehicle. I'm a native Californian but lived for a few years in New England and a few more years in western Pennsylvania, so I know at little about what real winter is. And I can vouch for the fact that it is not fun--and can be extremely dangerous. I am glad you're safe, warm, and out of that terrible weather and the elements. If you get sick of it, you can always head out here to California. It's in the high 60's here today.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So sorry to read about your accident, Egret - it must have been terrifying when the airbags exploded and windshield broke! At times like that, everything seems to move in agonizingly slow motion. Happy to hear you came through with only bumps and bruises, and there are good Samaritans out there! We spend a lot of time in DC, and are really glad we missed this storm.

JudiZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Egret,

Glad to hear that you were reasonably unscathed. What a terrifying ordeal. We have watched the suffering of the south and have been horrified at the snow and temperatures you have had to endure. Without the proper equipment snow is awful and those cold temperatures must have been nearly unbearable. But God bless your good Samaritan!

Having lived in New England my entire life, I can tell you that we, by and large, get used to it for most the part. The first storm is always a re-learning experience for those who "forget" how to drive in snow. That bring said, this past storm was pretty awful even for those us with experience. The flooding on the coast was amongst the worst not just in years but decades and Boston had flooding never before experienced. Here in NH, the flooding was coastal but inland was hit hard with snow that was unusually slippery (you'll have to trust me on that one because it is too hard to explain but true to anyone who drives in snow regularly) and cold beyond belief. Nothing has yet thawed here. We are looking forward to 30 degrees next week and the end of the week looks to be in the 50s. Insane! But such is New England.

Stay safe and warm!

Best,
Judi

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Egret1986, I am very sorry that you were involved in an accident. Driving in the Coastal Virginia in the snow is never fun. Praying that you are well and in Good Health. An automobile can be replaced; but a human life cannot be replaced.

I feel very fortunate in so many, many ways. In the grand scheme of things.......all inconveniences.

I haven't been out since getting home Thursday evening. I dread going to work tonight. Fortunately, the driving is mostly interstate and that's clear.

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a story. SO glad you are okay, but very sorry about the damage to your vehicle. I'm a native Californian but lived for a few years in New England and a few more years in western Pennsylvania, so I know at little about what real winter is. And I can vouch for the fact that it is not fun--and can be extremely dangerous. I am glad you're safe, warm, and out of that terrible weather and the elements. If you get sick of it, you can always head out here to California. It's in the high 60's here today.

:thumbup:

Enjoy your CA weather!

This part of VA isn't bad. But when it is, I'm a baby. :bawl:

Egret1986

TUG Member
Reaction score
Egret,

.......But God bless your good Samaritan!

Stay safe and warm!

Best,
Judi

AMEN to that to the good Samaritans! The caring, concern and assistance made all the difference in my circumstances and state-of-mind.

Yes, Judi; I can't even comprehend dealing with flooding. We have been fortunate.

Best wishes to all, whether you're enjoying the 60's or fighting the cold! :hi: We're all dealing with something......many lots worse. :(