• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travelex question

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear experts,

We booked 6 nights at the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco beginning on August 25th. We're going to be unable to go because my wife's mother is hospitalized. We don't know when she's going to get out, but she got out of the ICU today.

I have already made a claim to Travelex. If I call MVC and cancel the reservation, they will give us the points back in a holding account. We're not likely to be able to use those points during 2019.

Under the circumstances, I think I'd prefer get back the maintenance fees on the points rather than points in a holding account.

Should I just not show up for the reservation? (That doesn't seem right.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear experts,

We booked 6 nights at the Ritz Carlton in San Francisco beginning on August 25th. We're going to be unable to go because my wife's mother is hospitalized. We don't know when she's going to get out, but she got out of the ICU today.

I have already made a claim to Travelex. If I call MVC and cancel the reservation, they will give us the points back in a holding account. We're not likely to be able to use those points during 2019.

Under the circumstances, I think I'd prefer get back the maintenance fees on the points rather than points in a holding account.

Should I just not show up for the reservation? (That doesn't seem right.)

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dave

I am sorry to hear about that. Glad to hear she's at least out of the ICU.

How many points is it? And are they this years points, or next years.

A trick I use later in the year is to always reserve with borrowed next years points. In this case, those points would still go into a holding account, however, you'd have until the end of NEXT year to use them.

Your options would be to try and rent them (which you can't do here), or, you could try and rent the week (obviously it's likely too late). I wouldn't think Travelex would pay for those since they are refunding the points, albeit restricted, but don't know for sure.

I would definitely call and cancel, and make sure there isn't a cancellation fee of any sort. That would be step 1, before it is too late.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have refundable reservations, (lodging or flights) your travel insurance will not pay your claim of loss. They are not interested in your ability to use the refunded points or cash later.

Jim

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have refundable reservations, (lodging or flights) your travel insurance will not pay your claim of loss. They are not interested in your ability to use the refunded points or cash later.

Jim

For all the flights and the like, I can get refunds. The points, though, if they go in a holding account, will go to waste. You think Travelex will just say, tough luck?"

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
How many points is it?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
For all the flights and the like, I can get refunds. The points, though, if they go in a holding account, will go to waste. You think Travelex will just say, tough luck?"
Is this the MVC insurance? Seems like they would have crafted the insurance to be able to deal with such a situation. Only way to know is to ask them.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this the MVC insurance? Seems like they would have crafted the insurance to be able to deal with such a situation. Only way to know is to ask them.
With all the 'expertise' on TUG, all we really have is opinion. I agree- ask MVC. But even they are unlikely to give you a definitive answer until you have the unused points back in your account. They (or maybe a supervisor) has a way to extend their life- MF cost of them, because if you used them as intended, you wouldn't have the points to use further on anyway, but if you hadn't used them or taken the trip, you WOULD have had the money to do whatever you wished. ASK MVC.

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 4100 points. And it's the MVC insurance for 2019. The points are all 2019 points, except 425 came from the bonus for keeping a mortgage a certain length of time.

I'll have to call them in the morning.

Interesting idea, Steve, about pulling 2020 points back to use for a late 2019 trip. If I'd done that, I'd be more or less whole.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 4100 points. And it's the MVC insurance for 2019. The points are all 2019 points, except 425 came from the bonus for keeping a mortgage a certain length of time.

I'll have to call them in the morning.

Interesting idea, Steve, about pulling 2020 points back to use for a late 2019 trip. If I'd done that, I'd be more or less whole.

Yeah, that was my point, for future use, doesn't help your current situation and that's a lot of points, so definitely call! But it gives you a lot more flexibility for future years if you can think about using borrowed points. I am using cancelled (2018) borrowed points (2019) on an upcoming trip. Having that extra time to use it means less hassle.

griffer1278

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Yeah, that was my point, for future use, doesn't help your current situation and that's a lot of points, so definitely call! But it gives you a lot more flexibility for future years if you can think about using borrowed points. I am using cancelled (2018) borrowed points (2019) on an upcoming trip. Having that extra time to use it means less hassle.
I had a similar situation last year. I did not show up for th

khw

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott KoOlina, Canyon Villa, Shadow Ridge, Shadow Ridge Enclave, Grand Chateau
I had a similar situation in 2017. Was incorrectly advised to "cancel" and insurance did not reimburse because I had until the end of the year to use, which I couldn't. Bottom line contact MVCI, ask lots of "WHAT IF" questions/scenarios before you "cancel". I think it all boils down to needing to cancel within the 60 day window, that's the key. Travel EX was great with others issues but it was a lesson learned. MVCI is very helpful if you can think of all the possible scenarios to ask. Good Luck

DEScottzz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I'm the OP. I said I would call MVC on Saturday, but I didn't get a chance.

When I called them this morning, they advised me not to cancel the reservations. Instead, I should just not show up. That way, the points are L-O-S-T Lost, and there's no quibbling about whether I might have been able to use them before the end of 2019.

This seems consistent with KHW's experience. We'll see how Travelex does with this one.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Dear Friends,

When I called them this morning, they advised me not to cancel the reservations. Instead, I should just not show up. That way, the points are L-O-S-T Lost, and there's no quibbling about whether I might have been able to use them before the end of 2019.

This seems consistent with KHW's experience. We'll see how Travelex does with this one.
Thanks for the follow up. Let us know how it all ends up.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dear Friends,

I hope that is true and you don't lose all those points. Seems like they might question filing a claim before your stay though, I'd assume you need to wait after your stay so that it's a done deed and they can't argue about you not cancelling.