• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Travel Insurance

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used Travel Guard in the past. Princess cruises offers travelers insurance also. We are taking a 10 night land tour/Alaska cruise in June. Should have purchased it after deposit.

I did go to insuremytrip.com. I also called Travel Guard. Other companies offer more about the same price as Travel Guard and Princess......

I did read reviews......but many have not used the insurance for any claims. The few that did, all complain about the time it took and some were denied. Of course, hoping to never have to use it.

Will call insuremytrip & speak to someone today. Any recommendations from anyone who has used a specific company/had a claim in.

(Global Assistance, Hancock, Nationwide, Travelex - my head is spinning :) ).

thank you.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for shopping through squaremouth dot com. We have had multiple claims on travel insurance, including emergency heart procedures in Germany and nurse accompanied flights home. The company we used that time is no longer in business. Squaremouth has a 'zero complaints' policy and will go to bat for you if a company you've bought through gives you trouble with a covered claim.

Jim

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
+1 for shopping through squaremouth dot com. We have had multiple claims on travel insurance, including emergency heart procedures in Germany and nurse accompanied flights home. The company we used that time is no longer in business. Squaremouth has a 'zero complaints' policy and will go to bat for you if a company you've bought through gives you trouble with a covered claim.

Jim
Thanks- I’m nearing 80 and have heard that it is difficult or very expensive at this age!
Anita

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks- I’m nearing 80 and have heard that it is difficult or very expensive at this age!
Anita
You've heard right. As we age, travel insurance becomes more expensive and the qualifications are higher. When we were young pups we could get supplemental coverage on top of our regular insurance to cover basic stuff that comes up in travel, annually for a small charge, but now (were in the same decade of life as you are) getting primary medical coverage outside the US and evacuation/repatriation as well can add 12%-15% to the cost of an already expensive trip. It's the price we pay to get away with reduced risk.

Ddee555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn; San Clemente Cove, Coronado Beach Resort; Gaslamp Plaza Suites; Royal Aloha Vacation Club (RAVC)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Jim

Wow, Jim! Your care must have wiped them out. Tee Hee- Just kidding.....LOL!:D

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, Jim! Your care must have wiped them out. Tee Hee- Just kidding.....LOL!:D
Better them than me- that's the whole reason for buying the coverage.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas
....travel insurance through Veterans Advantage. It covers you 365-days for $20.
Over the last few days, I happen to have been researching travel insurance for a planned 2021 cruise, and hadn't heard about this option - thanks! It's a great deal for $20/year IMO, but $50,000 for medical evacuation & repatriation wouldn't be nearly adequate for most international travel. Wish they offered an upgrade option.

emcnulty15

Reaction score
I recommend Travel Guard. It cost 7% of what I covered and was not age based with the agent I bought it from. It covered Emergency Evacuation & Repatriation of Remains of $250,000, among other things. It is especially important if you are traveling out of the USA, where Medicare will not cover you.

Take it out when you place a deposit for your trip. It will then cover pre-existing conditions as well. I had a claim with Travel Guard, which resulted in my being compensated well above what I was expecting. You need to shop around. I did need to call them when I did not hear from them for 6 weeks after I made a claim, but I was happy with the results.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
I learned something new about travel insurance due to my two recent trip experiences.

First was a trip I booked on Delta from FLL to LGA for my wife and I. I purchased Trip Cancellation Insurance on the Delta Website for about $32 which was covered by Allianz. Due to an illness, I had to cancel the trip. To submit a claim for reimbursement, I had to include a Doctor's Note which I did. The Claim was approved soon thereafter and I received a check from Allianz.

Second was a trip that I booked on American to fly round trip from FLL to Evansville, IN. On the American Website, I clicked the link to purchase travel insurance but did not complete the transaction because I thought the price was too high at $63. I then went to the Hopper App website and booked the American Airlines Flights for about $20 cheaper than on the American Airlines Website.
I also purchased Travel Insurance through Hopper for $23. The Travel Insurance is underwritten by AON Affinity Insurance Services, Inc, Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company. I became ill with a severe Upper Respiratory Infection. I did not want to take the trip in part because I did not want to trasmit the illness to my 5-year old granddaughter or her parents. I went to the AON Affinity website and looked up the rules for cancelling a trip due to illness. Found out you needed a Doctor's Note and they preferred you use their Doctor's Note Form which I printed out and took with me when I went to my clinic to be treated for my URI. I was treated and my PCP filled out the Doctor's Note Form. I cancelled the trip and submitted a claim which was easy to do online including creating a PDF file to upload the Doctor's note. My claim was approved and I received a reimbursement check from AON Affinity Insurance Services. As a side note, and although I don't remember the exact details, I do recall that the maximum amount that was covered for cancellation was much greater with the AON Affinity Policy than with the Allianz Policy. I would definitely use Hopper and their insurance to book another trip.

Richard

Last edited:

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reminder that the Chase Sapphire Reserve card includes a travel insurance benefit if you use the card to pay for your travel. I will submit a claim for the first time because my plane was delayed overnight for 12 hours and I had to spend a second night in a hotel.

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you everyone. I ended up going with Travel Guard again. Of course, hoping we never have to use it :)

PClapham

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark
Foxrun
Please let us know if the Sapphire Reserve card insurance approves your claim. I would feel much more secure if you get a positive reply!
Anita