TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $12,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $12Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

Transportation options in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Marriott Vacation Club' started by dougp26364, May 9, 2019.

1. dougp26364

dougp26364 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

what’s the opinion on transportation to/from SFO and getting around San Francisco? We have a reservation at the Ritz Carlton Club and they offer free valet, but I do t see us using a car very much if at all.

2. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

We used to live in the San Francisco Bay area and now we spend a few nights there each year (on our way to and from Maui). We don't have a car when we are there. We walk or take BART. I'm trying to remember if we've even taken a cab on any recent trips. Our younger dd used Lyft (Uber is also available) on a trip to San Francisco last year. The bus system is also pretty good to get around. If you want to drive somewhere outside of the city you can rent a car for a day. There are lots of locations in the city where you can get one.

Last edited: May 9, 2019
    ljmiii and dougp26364 like this.
  3. btoby61

btoby61 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    SRV, HICV
    I would agree. Do NOT rent a vehicle. Parking is outrageous. We used Uber, Bart. we never waited more than 10 minutes. The money you save on the rental should easily cover incidental transportation costs. You will come out ahead because you wont be paying for parking...

4. chrono88

chrono88 TUG Member

Within SF, you definitely don't need a car. You can take BART to and from the airport very easily. The bus/muni system covers the city well. Uber and Lyft are plentiful. If you want to explore outside of SF (such as going to wine country), you could consider renting a car, though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

5. Luanne

And another thought. If you want to rent a car for a day to explore outside the city, reserve your rental ahead of time. You can use Costco (and probably also AutoSlash) to rent in the city. We did that a few years ago when we were in the city for 9 days, but only needed a car for one day. We knew which day we needed and I made a reservation ahead of time. We paid something like $35 for the one day rental. By the time we got to San Francisco one day car rentals were going for $100! Of course it turned out to be during the World Series and several games were being played in San Francisco. But, you can never tell what will cause the prices to rise.

6. Luanne

And to address your question about back and forth from the airport. When we go (we usually fly in and out of Oakland because we can get a nonstop flight) we use a car service. It's more expensive than other options, but just the way dh likes to travel.

You can take BART, but if you have a lot of luggage that may not be the best way. Also, unless you really like to walk hills dragging suitcases, I'd suggest catching an Uber or Lyft after getting off BART. Oops, just checked a map. Looks like the Ritz is on Market, so no hills. Five minute walk so it might not be bad with luggage, again depending on how much you have.

You can take a cab, or Uber or Lyft.

You can take a shuttle (may be multiple stops).

You can price out all of these options and see which one appeals to you.

dougp26364 likes this.
  7. TheTimeTraveler

TheTimeTraveler TUG Member

Streetcars, Trackless Trolleys, Buses, and BART all make an excellent Public Transportation system in San Francisco.

Personally I would use all of the above (plus Uber/Lyft) as long as you remain in the city. Having a car can be a real headache when it comes to traffic and parking.

Enjoy your trip!

8. vacationtime1

vacationtime1 Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    MAW & MKW (Kauai)
    WKORV-OFC (Maui)
    WKV x4 (Scottsdale)
    BART from SFO is easy; $9.65/person to either the Powell Street or Montgomery Street stations (RCC is between them). BART is crowded during rush hour, but street traffic is also awful.

ljmiii, BreakingAway and dougp26364 like this.
  9. Big Matt

Big Matt TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

BART is old and dirty IMO. I would take an Uber/Lyft from SFO just to get to the Ritz Carlton Club. Try BART during the day without luggage to see what you think. Definitely don't need a car unless you want to go up to Muir Woods, down to Half Moon Ban, Monterey, or up to Wine Country. If Wine Country is on your list, try to get a party bus or shuttle that takes you to a few wineries. It will cost more, but you don't have to worry about drinking and driving.

10. JohnB3

JohnB3 TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    DVC - SSR
    VV - Grandview
    MHB - Marriott Willow Ridge
    I never get a car in SF. BART runs to the Airport and you can use uber/lyft if you would rather get door to door service on your trip in and out (which I usually do) I get a transit pass while in the city and use public transport for running around the city. For wine country we took the Ferry and Hired a car to tour Napa which allowed me to enjoy the wine tasting without thinking about driving. Last time we were there we hired a tour guide who took us out of the city for a day to muir, mount tam the headlands and salsalito. Driving and parking in SF is painful to me.

Superchief and ljmiii like this.