• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

transferring points and buying MR points

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPG cancelled the purchase on my DW account. I created it this morning and they will not allow any points purchases unless the account has been active for at least 14 days. Looks like I waiting too long.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
I recently purchased 30K Starpoints under my account and transferred them my Marriott Account. I was going to buy 30K points under my wife, transfer them to me, then transfer those to Marriott.

They I read this, which seems to say I can't receive more than the 30K points I already bought, as that is the max for the year. Am I reading this correctly?

SPG FAQ:
How many Starpoints may I buy for myself?

Your account may receive up to a maximum of 30,000 Starpoints per account per calendar year, whether purchased by yourself or received as a gift from another member. However, you may purchase as a gift for other accounts, as many Starpoints as desired.​

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
TRANSFER from someone living at the same address has nothing to do with GIFT (which is basically just buying them for someone else) and transfer is subject to no limits whatsoever. I have transferred 50000+ SPG on a few occasions either to or from my OH.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
The phrase that you can only receive up to a max of 30K points per account and calendar year, would seem to preclude receiving another 30K from my wife. But my original understanding was the same as you experienced.

I'll give them a call to be sure. thx

(UPDATE: No issues done as 'transfer' between accounts, vs gifts.)

Last edited:

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, another Marriott points transfer question. I know there is a limit of 50K points per year a person can transfer from themselves to someone else unless more than 50K points are needed to complete a reservation. So, here's my scenario:

I want to transfer 90K points now from my husband to me in order to grab a travel package before 1 August. But, I am also on the quest to get to LTPP by 31 December and will need to transfer an additional 245K points from his account to mine in November to be able to do that. It will take until November for him to earn the 245K points and at that time I'll book a reservation that would need to be completed by the transfer of his points to my account.

The question is can I transfer 90K now in order to grab a travel package while their still at the better points rates and then in November transfer the other 245K to my account to complete a reservation, i.e. that will push me over into LTPP? In other words will Marriott allow two or more transfers of points that exceed the 50K limit into my account or are they going to tell me only once large points transfer per year?

Has anyone else done this or does anyone know Marriott's position on this?

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ok, another Marriott points transfer question. I know there is a limit of 50K points per year a person can transfer from themselves to someone else unless more than 50K points are needed to complete a reservation. So, here's my scenario:

I want to transfer 90K points now from my husband to me in order to grab a travel package before 1 August. But, I am also on the quest to get to LTPP by 31 December and will need to transfer an additional 245K points from his account to mine in November to be able to do that. It will take until November for him to earn the 245K points and at that time I'll book a reservation that would need to be completed by the transfer of his points to my account.

The question is can I transfer 90K now in order to grab a travel package while their still at the better points rates and then in November transfer the other 245K to my account to complete a reservation, i.e. that will push me over into LTPP? In other words will Marriott allow two or more transfers of points that exceed the 50K limit into my account or are they going to tell me only once large points transfer per year?

Has anyone else done this or does anyone know Marriott's position on this?
My understranding is you can transfer more than the normal 50k annual allotment to a spouse's account to complete a travel package.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is true. I’m just wondering if that can be done more than once a year.

My understranding is you can transfer more than the normal 50k annual allotment to a spouse's account to complete a travel package.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is true. I’m just wondering if that can be done more than once a year.

My understanding is no. Only once a year for transfers in excess of 50,000. Have the same issue as you, need more points for lifetime status by 12/31 but want to book travel package by 8/1 and need it from husband’s account

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Well I’ll have to skip a travel package I guess because I want to get to LTPP more than I want the travel package.

My understanding is no. Only once a year for transfers in excess of 50,000. Have the same issue as you, need more points for lifetime status by 12/31 but want to book travel package by 8/1 and need it from husband’s account

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was afraid of that. Well I’ll have to skip a travel package I guess because I want to get to LTPP more than I want the travel package.
Have you bought 50K MRPs for $625 from MR site? It is a little pricey but they do add to the lifetime points. I believe if you transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards, if you have them, those count as well.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have purchased MRPs. I don't have CURs and don't really want to open another CC so am trying to get there without it.

Have you bought 50K MRPs for $625 from MR site? It is a little pricey but they do add to the lifetime points. I believe if you transfer points from Chase Ultimate Rewards, if you have them, those count as well.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Bocaboy, I think there is a way to get them to count towards status but it takes some "washing," i.e., buying SPG, transferring them to another household member, then they transfer the points to their Marriott account. Once the points are in their Marriott account, they can then transfer them to you, and I believe they will count towards your status. I'm not certain about this but have heard people are doing it. I'm about to try it myself and find out.
Yes, that works, but I assume that most people trying to get lifetime points in a specific account have already transferred the 50,000 points permitted in the year.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boca,

We haven't transferred the 50,000 per year over yet. Going to do it all in one big lump sum in November in order to lock in a pricey points reservation next year and that will get me to LTPP. All this stuff makes my head spin. LoL

Yes, that works, but I assume that most people trying to get lifetime points in a specific account have already transferred the 50,000 points permitted in the year.

Seaport104

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've only transferred from my husband's account once but based on the below, it doesn't look like I can transfer another 50,000 points from another member in the same year. I was actually going to trade with a friend for his Marriott points but it doesn't appear to be possible. I thought it was 50,000 limit from each member.

upload_2018-7-20_21-14-12.png