• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

transferring points and buying MR points

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if you can buy points and also transfer points. I'm aware that a limit of 50,000 point per year may be transferred into or out of a member's acct. However, if you are transferring points in order to satisfy a specific award you may exceed 50,000.
Does anyone know if you buy an additional 50,000 points, can you still transfer points.

Also if you buy, are the points added that day? or is there a wait?

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
The points are available immediately. The best way to buy points right now is buying SPG points and then transferring them to Marriott at 1-3. You can buy 30,000 SPG points at a 35% off promo discount and transfer them as 90,000 Marriott points, and then transfer the 50,000 and have 40,000 leftover. Hurry because the promo ends July 20.

You can actually transfer or gift 140,000 points to someone. 30,000 SPG points (90,000) and 50,000 Marriott points.

If you were doing the transfer near the end of the year you could transfer 280,000 points. 140,000 end of calendar year and 140,000 beginning of the next.

That is all probably going away though once the merge on 8/1.

Last edited:

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
When transferring SPG points make sure and transfer them as SPG and not as Marriott. The recipient can then transfer them to Marriott. That is the only way to get the 90,000 to them and also keep it separate from the other 50,000 if needed.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much. Just bought 30,000 spg points and it transferred to 90,000 to my husband's account!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Sorry, just meant to pull the link so OP could see for themselves. Thinking about buying under both and my wife's cards, consolidating them to my account and transferring final count to Marriott as one final ultimate points splurge...

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
How much is it for 30,000 points?
Paid $682.50 for 30,000 SPG points, then turned around and transferred to Marriott Rewards for 90,000. Took less than 3 minutes. Thanks to Tug member giving me the information. Tug is such a valuable source of info~

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Paid $682.50 for 30,000 SPG points, then turned around and transferred to Marriott Rewards for 90,000. Took less than 3 minutes. Thanks to Tug member giving me the information. Tug is such a valuable source of info~
I assume you wanted the points to get a reward rather than to add points for status, because points transferred from SPG to Marriott do not count as lifetime points for elite purposes.

mas

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MAR BeachPlace;
Cypress Harbour;
Ocean Watch;
Canyon Villas;
I did the same--paid $682 for the 30K spg points so that I can get a second travel pkg for 132K United air miles--just bought one last week and will buy the second before this sweet deal disappears.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Bocaboy, I think there is a way to get them to count towards status but it takes some "washing," i.e., buying SPG, transferring them to another household member, then they transfer the points to their Marriott account. Once the points are in their Marriott account, they can then transfer them to you, and I believe they will count towards your status. I'm not certain about this but have heard people are doing it. I'm about to try it myself and find out.

I assume you wanted the points to get a reward rather than to add points for status, because points transferred from SPG to Marriott do not count as lifetime points for elite purposes.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the risk of being curt, why do something complicated and suspicious-looking when something simple works.

Buy SPG points as a gift for your spouse or have hom/her buy them on their own behalf.

Nothing underhand in that.

Have them convert the SPG to Marriott.
Again completely normal transaction.

Have them transfer marriott points to your Marriott account.

There is no 'laundering' here as all of these transactions are fine and the SPG points were never connected to you in any way.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At the risk of being curt, why do something complicated and suspicious-looking when something simple works.

Buy SPG points as a gift for your spouse or have hom/her buy them on their own behalf.

There is no 'laundering' here as all of these transactions are fine and the SPG points were never connected to you in any way.

The problem is that the points won't count toward MR lifetime points. Lifetime points is the end goal for some people.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is actually what I was talking about doing in terms of having my spouse buy SPG points, convert them to his Marriott, and then transfer them to me in Marriott. I can also buy SPG, transfer to him, have him transfer to his Marriott, and then over to me. There is a bit of a "laundering" that goes on and yes, it is an attempt to get to LTPP by the end of this year. I've been very loyal to Marriott over the past many years (probably to the point of my own stupidity since I will rarely stay anywhere else even if I have to pay more to do it) and I have plenty of nights with them but not enough points to get to LTPP. I had a 2 year break in traveling because we moved to Fiji and that took me out of the points chase. I'm just using the SPG method to top my Marriott points up to give me that final push. Underhanded? No, not as far as I'm concerned. If you've ever looked at FlyerTalk - well, there's some stuff that goes on there that I would never do; that I would view as underhanded. I've been honest about gathering up all my Marriott points through the years and I don't see buying some SPG points and doing a bit of a "wash" with them as being any less honest. But, I do understand your post.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
The problem is that the points won't count toward MR lifetime points. Lifetime points is the end goal for some people.
The points arriving in the MR account from the other MR account in the above scenario are 100% qualifying.

nanceetom

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, already lifetime platinum. Deed is done; who knows if it was a good decision or not. We ordered 2 category, 5 day, 120 mile packages yesterday. Certificates already show in account just waiting for the points to hit our American account. Does anyone know, approximately, how long it takes for the airline points to go into your mileage account?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes, already lifetime platinum. Deed is done; who knows if it was a good decision or not. We ordered 2 category, 5 day, 120 mile packages yesterday. Certificates already show in account just waiting for the points to hit our American account. Does anyone know, approximately, how long it takes for the airline points to go into your mileage account?
So I fail to really see how this is any different than what JanT was proposing? They are still moving between two different family members, it seems that the only difference is on which side of the program (SPG or MR) that the transfer between family members happens?

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
JanT

For me what you suggest is sensible. What would cause suspicion is transferring SPG in one Direction and then the same points converted back to MR back the other direction.

My suggestion was to avoid doing that. Your proposal avoids doing that.

Therefore there *is* no laundering.as far as I'm concerned.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm trying to keep everything as clean as possible in this. I like to think I'm a pretty honest person and I'm pretty much a rule follower, too. I want to get to LTPP but only if I feel it's on the up and up. Some methods I've seen on FT scare the crap out of me! LoL

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
It varies by airline. United was 3 days, Alaska 5 days last week. Ymmv. Cheers.

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I'm trying to keep everything as clean as possible in this. I like to think I'm a pretty honest person and I'm pretty much a rule follower, too. I want to get to LTPP but only if I feel it's on the up and up. Some methods I've seen on FT scare the crap out of me! LoL
Just to be clear my comments on this thread were intended as tactical advice not in any was as moral guidance!

My point was, do not *unnecessarily* raise flags with Marriott by buying SOG points and then transferring them when one can simply buy direct for the recipient.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Catharsis, I didn't take it that way at all! I knew what you were saying and didn't get offended. I appreciate all TUGGER's advice! And I am definitely working hard not to raise any red flags with Marriott! I'm going to be right on the edge of obtaining LTPP and have to make sure every point counts - can't afford to make a mistake and have any points not count.

Just to be clear my comments on this thread were intended as tactical advice not in any was as moral guidance!

My point was, do not *unnecessarily* raise flags with Marriott by buying SOG points and then transferring them when one can simply buy direct for the recipient.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wrote they hit the account immediately as this is what happened when I bought SPG points but I just bought some on my DW account and it is not immediate. It says they can take up to 48 hours.