• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Transferring ownership to a family member

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
What about the use of a Family Trust? Couldn't you just name additional Trustees and Beneficiaries and bypass all of these challenges? For example, what if I created the Steven Ting Vacation Family Trust and then assign ownership of all of my weeks to the trust. I assume I can just keep adding and removing trustees and beneficiaries as time moves on. When I pass, my kids can make adjustments to the trustees and beneficiaries. I would assume that it would just be a notification change to Marriott about "Authorized Users" and the ownership would remain the same.

I bring this up because I'm going to meet with an attorney to draw up a family trust, but not specifically for the timeshares, but maybe I'll have that created now.

rylan

Reaction score
So what about a developer week that was previously enrolled in the DC program, and if it is brother to brother? I know it says full benefits for down bloodline only, however would this mean the DC enrollment of a developer week is 'lost' if it is transferred between siblings?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So what about a developer week that was previously enrolled in the DC program, and if it is brother to brother? I know it says full benefits for down bloodline only, however would this mean the DC enrollment of a developer week is 'lost' if it is transferred between siblings?
That is my understanding

catharsis

TUG Member
Reaction score
might be worth looking into whether you culd ADD your brother to your ownership rather than transferring to him.

i.e. change the deeds to become "tenants in common" and see do you still lose the benefits given you are still the original owner who enrolled?

or perhaps even ask Marriott what their position on that would be?

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I don't know if they combined them under my current account...I think it's correct on the deeds.

Did they combine them under your current account?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they combined them under my current account...I think it's correct on the deeds.
If you see them all under one sign on and can use the 13 month reservation rule, they are combined for purposes of this discussion. In that situation you really may not need to go to the expense of changing the deed but it might get technical and it would likely be best to get them changed over at that time. Of course they don't have to accept them either but the estate couldn't be closed until they were taken care of one way or another. Hopefully that's a long time down the road for all of us.

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
I see all 6 under the 13 month rule. On 4 of the 6 deeds one child and I own them for rights of survivorship, but I do all the bookings for all 6...not even sure they could book theirs right now or if that just transfers to them upon my death. The other 2 are in my name only...which probably means those 2 would have to be sold for estate settlement.

Brian

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I see all 6 under the 13 month rule. On 4 of the 6 deeds one child and I own them for rights of survivorship, but I do all the bookings for all 6...not even sure they could book theirs right now or if that just transfers to them upon my death. The other 2 are in my name only...which probably means those 2 would have to be sold for estate settlement.

Brian
I'm not a lawyer Brian so YMMV. I was hoping that would be your answer though. Currently it'd likely only be an issue if the child listed on part of them were using the ones they're not on or were using an exchange though with a little planning and forethought, I doubt that'd be an issue either. You'd likely either need to alert Marriott in general or the resort itself that someone else would be checking in. For exchanges it really depends on how the II account is listed and if that child is not on the II account, the graciousness of the destination resort. You may want to make sure they're listed on the II account to give more options and provide a smoother transition.

The child on the deeds could get their own signon and I presume they would only see the 4 in question. IF something happens to you and as I understand it, they'd have several options. They could sell all, update the deeds retaining the inherent rights/options since they're children, change the deeds to add others amount variations. I won't get into the +/- of having adult children on a timeshare, that's a few threads unto itself. DVC gets very strict on this subject, Bluegreen throws a blanket over the entire set of owners both from a usage and liability standpoint but I'm not quite sure where Marriott falls on this other than the rights passing with transfer for ownership and the destinations program where it's child (likely grandchild) only to retain all rights.