• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

TradeWinds Cruise Club SCUBA diving

janapur

TUG Member
Reaction score
Great details, dchilds. Thanks! I have always wanted to do this, but need to decide which location is best for us.

Jana

Dave&Linda

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also are TWCC members and having been to all of their destinations except Belize, can vouch that referrals and anybody else for that matter should not expect to get pressured to become a member. If you do, the crew is out of line and we just haven't seen or heard of this happening. We and most other people we know who are members joined because we really enjoy the trips and want to continue doing them. As for other things, a couple of other costs will be two dinners on shore during the week and a tip for the crew at the end of the trip. The recommended tip is 15% of the all-inclusive fee which works out to be about $200 per couple. Also, in regards to the St. Maarten review. I'm sure the reason St Barts was dropped was because of rough seas and as far as Anguilla is concerned, the beach bars mentioned are more or less dives and not really worth the anguish. As somebody else said the crews are always ready and willing to do what the "guests" want to do within reason. We always make it a point to go over the entire week's itinerary on our first night onboard so we know what to expect. And, oh yeah, the berths are small, but considering how much time one spends in them, so what. In short, if you haven't tried TWCC yet give it a shot.

Strong1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Judy,

We are Tradewinds members and divers. My favourite Tradewinds diving has been Belize. Only members have access to Belize at this point, but there may be access to trade in the future. We just did St. Maarten (OK diving) and BVI (better diving) this winter. Definitely Belize has been the best diving so far. We did 3 dives in St. Maarten and Belize and 4 dives in BVI.

Colleen

Whirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not a dive boat...just an available activity

Tradewinds cruises are really about the cruising experience. Diving is an "add-on", so this is not a "live-aboard" diving trip. I share this just so you can set your expectations and not be disappointed. They usually do 2-3 one-tank dives per trip.

We thought the diving in Belize and BVI were the best. I believe only owners can book the Belize sail at this time, but it was fantastic. We are doing St. Martin in a week, so I can't comment on that itinerary yet.

I was trying to read through the thread to make sure someone made this point. Thanks Strong one. We have been members and sailed 3 times ( not in several years, though,]...too busy tending to babies... I was actually 10 weeks pregnant the last time we sailed!

Anyway, important to realize it is NOT a dive boat. Some guests will want to dive and others wont and skill levels can vary widely so the dive has to be tailored to the least common denominator. Generally, there were 2-3 dive opportunities. We were not certified the first time we went and felt like we were missing all the fun, so we did make sure we got certified before going back...didn't dive the Grenadines( first trip), but the snorkeling was great. We went in the BVI ( I think 2 times)...visibility was not great one of the days and then we did a drop-off that was quite nice and my husband did Antigua....I snorkeled above with another pregnant wife, but the current was strong taking us away from the dive dinghy, but towards the cat...we just kind of drifted our way back. Novice divers and haven't been since, but it was all great fun. I do think that the quality of your dive can vary greatly however, so remember it is not a dive boat, so shouldn't really be judged the same way.

Great trip though. Hoping to leave my crew of young ones for a wekk for the first time next year and sail Belize!

Cheryl

JoyceFNP

TUG Member
Reaction score
diving

"Anyway, important to realize it is NOT a dive boat"

Good point, and actually that's what I like about it! We are once or twice a year divers, and I really wouldn't want to go on one of the dive boats that basically only dive. I loved diving the Grenadines, we did one tanks, I hardly had time to get cold. And it never felt like we missed any of the fun going on on the boat!

Joyce

dchilds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Diving in Belize

We just got back from our first TWCC trip in Belize. We only had two dives because of the weather. The SOP is to have the TW cat anchor on the leeward side of the reef, and take the dingy to the windward (deep) side to dive. The first dive day, Monday, was very windy, and there were no mooring balls to connect the dingy to, so it just stayed with us as we got ready. There were too many divers for everyone to be fully equipped before jumping in. The first four of us jumped in, and were handed our BCD w/ tank and weights to put on while in the water. The tide was quite strong, and separated the divers quite a bit before we started the dive. The last two divers in the water were unable to join the group, so just got back into the dingy and went back to the boat. We did a 55 minute dive with a 45' max depth. We swam back around/over the reef and either got picked up by the dingy, or just swam back to the boat. The dive itself was only fair, about equal to St Maarten dives.

Our second dive was suppose to be Wednesday or Thursday, but the wind was even stronger, and seemed like too much work to attempt. Our actual second dive day, Friday, was much calmer, but we followed more or less the same procedure, but we were able to moor the dingy, and everyone got to dive. This dive was about 45 minutes at a max of 90'. This dive was much better.

Overall, I would say the Belize diving is the best of the Trade Winds locations we've visited. (BVIs, Grenadines, & St Maarten) In fact, it was our third or fourth best diving location, equivalent to diving off Saba. We have been to the Caymans and the Great Bearer Reef, so third or fourth best is pretty good. Trade Winds was planning to open up Belize to non-member in April.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Sorry I didn't rely back earlier on this thread. I just have not been back in to reread the posting.

It has already been posted but just to clarify you get free diving if you are a Gold (1 year/cabin), Platinum (2/yr) or Elite (4/yr) member. You do not get free diving if you are only a Classic member (1 cabin/every other year) or did not convert to the points system.

So I do that think that they took free diving away from anyone, but you must now be a minimum level of membership to get it.

I have sailed at all BUT the St Martin base. I have not done that yet, as I have already sailed in that area.

I have done BVI twice, Grenadines twice, Turks & Caicos once (they were there for a short time), Belize once, Antigua once, and Corfu Greece once. We have the whole yacht chartered for July Holiday week this year.

Diving is best in Belize, then BVI, then Grenadines. T&C was great, but they are not sailing there now. Antigua is OK but not great for diving. Greece is a chilly & not much to see, beside the government restricts diving and TWCC is not allowed to dive off the yachts there. We did not dive with any locals either, after some research we decided it wasn't work the dive.

As others have said, it is not a dive boat. Do not expect it to be. Diving is also dependent upon weather conditions. If it is very windy it is a hard dive because you are only diving out of the dingy and getting in and out is difficult at time. We have also just dived off the anchor location we were at. It all depends.

Last edited:

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Oops I hit quote not edit.

JoyceFNP

TUG Member
Reaction score
tradewinds diving

Leaving for St Martin tonight, and am very excited! I will let you know how it all goes.
I didn't know they were in Turks and Caicos ever! I wish they would go back, I have only been there as a one day stop on a cruise ship, and would love to go back for a longer stay.