• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Totally screwed by Autoslash/Priceline/Hertz

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We have an SUV rental with Autoslash/Priceline for our upcoming trip at $222 for Sat through the following Sunday. It came down several times. It is through Alamo.

Although when I go on line on Alamo I can't seem to confirm the reservation, when I call Alamo they do confirm it via a representative and also the automated confirmation robot. One rep told me the price was $172! But I have $222 through Priceline/Autoslash and also the Alamo automated robot.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We have an SUV rental with Autoslash/Priceline for our upcoming trip at $222 for Sat through the following Sunday. It came down several times. It is through Alamo.

Although when I go on line on Alamo I can't seem to confirm the reservation, when I call Alamo they do confirm it via a representative and also the automated confirmation robot. One rep told me the price was $172! But I have $222 through Priceline/Autoslash and also the Alamo automated robot.
How odd. Whenever I've made a reservation for Alamo through AutoSlash or Costco it has shown up immediately in my Alamo account.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
How odd. Whenever I've made a reservation for Alamo through AutoSlash or Costco it has shown up immediately in my Alamo account.

I do not have an Alamo account. We rarely rent a car as we rarely fly places for a vacation.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I do not have an Alamo account. We rarely rent a car as we rarely fly places for a vacation.
Okay. I have found that, if I don't have an account with the car rental company I usually can't see my reservation online and have to verify it by calling.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Hertz could see my confirmation and I had a hertz confirmation number. Hertz would not agree to give me the car I reserved for the price on the reservation.

I have never experienced anything like this and don’t know if it was because it was Priceline or not. But they were not helpful at all and really rude about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I still think you had a very unusual thing happen. I blame it on that Hertz location. We've rented with Hertz through Priceline a couple of times and have never had a problem.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We just picked up our rental at Alamo booked through autoslash/Priceline and they charged us $30 more claiming there was some kind of coupon that expired. I argued with the guy and got nowhere. I had the printed reservation with me, too. I called Priceline and they said I have to deal with Alamo. I called Alamo and the rep said she could not bring up our breakdown of charges- keeps getting an error message.

Funny- when I called the rep a couple of weeks ago she had the same issue with the computer system and put me on hold a long time and then was able to our rate for the week minus the tax and other fees. Then I even called Alamo’s automated line last week and it confirmed our rate.

So I don’t get it. So- I told Alamo I’m not paying the $30- I will dispute with my credit card and tell them Alamo could not help me- they could not even bring up our reservation on their computer. I got a reference number.

Not starting out the vacation good. That and 103 degrees in Vegas- not in a good mood.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We just picked up our rental at Alamo booked through autoslash/Priceline and they charged us $30 more claiming there was some kind of coupon that expired. I argued with the guy and got nowhere. I had the printed reservation with me, too. I called Priceline and they said I have to deal with Alamo. I called Alamo and the rep said she could not bring up our breakdown of charges- keeps getting an error message.

Funny- when I called the rep a couple of weeks ago she had the same issue with the computer system and put me on hold a long time and then was able to our rate for the week minus the tax and other fees. Then I even called Alamo’s automated line last week and it confirmed our rate.

So I don’t get it. So- I told Alamo I’m not paying the $30- I will dispute with my credit card and tell them Alamo could not help me- they could not even bring up our reservation on their computer. I got a reference number.

Not starting out the vacation good. That and 103 degrees in Vegas- not in a good mood.
Have fun. Enjoy your vacation. Deal with this when you get home.

When you do get home contact Alamo again. If you can't get any satisfaction over the phone, write a letter. Include a print out of both you confirmed reservation and the price as well as your receipt. Send copies of the letter to their Customer Service department as well as however high up you can go in Alamo and one to the Better Business Bureau. Just be straight and to the point. This is my reservation, this is what I was charged, I want a credit in the amount of $x.xx

And yes, also dispute your credit card while this is being resolved. It could be that your credit card company will take care of the whole thing, but I've found personally I feel better writing the letter. (And I've gotten pretty good results with my letter writing.)

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
BYW- this is the first time we rented a car with a temporary license sticker on it good for one month. Brand new SUV with 300 + miles on it. Has that new car smell and everything. They had a few of them actually. We almost took a car with a lot of scratches on it - I was taking pictures and everything-seemed like they had a lot like that. We didn’t know we could take a car with no license plate until I asked an employee who was cleaning another car and she told us just to check the expiration date on the temp license. I bet a lot of other people didn’t know it either. One poor guy had chosen one of the scratched ones and the oil light came on so he got out and went over to the check out station not realizing he could just take one of the new cars.

And- BYW- no diagram on the rental company paperwork.We would have had to draw it ourselves on a piece of paper plus the photos if there were damages.

I am really starting to think these rental car companies are trying to screw people.

I really do hate this aspect of traveling- along with flying. This is why I like road trips in our own car to our timeshare resorts.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Have fun. Enjoy your vacation. Deal with this when you get home.

When you do get home contact Alamo again. If you can't get any satisfaction over the phone, write a letter. Include a print out of both you confirmed reservation and the price as well as your receipt. Send copies of the letter to their Customer Service department as well as however high up you can go in Alamo and one to the Better Business Bureau. Just be straight and to the point. This is my reservation, this is what I was charged, I want a credit in the amount of $x.xx

And yes, also dispute your credit card while this is being resolved. It could be that your credit card company will take care of the whole thing, but I've found personally I feel better writing the letter. (And I've gotten pretty good results with my letter writing.)

Luanne- when we get home we are in moving and packing hell and the sale of our house and I really can’t deal with anything else. I already sent a Facebook message to Alamo.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Luanne- when we get home we are in moving and packing hell and the sake of our house and I really can’t deal with anything else. I already sent a Facebook message to Alamo.
Oh right, I'd forgotten that. Hope the Facebook message helps.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Oh right, I'd forgotten that. Hope the Facebook message helps.

Alamo responded and said it was a Priceline issue. Maybe a glitch in their system. It shows as an expired coupon. He said I have to wait until we drop off the car and have the finalized charges. Notes are in our file (3 of them already. Lol!). We can deal with it at that time at the counter or call Alamo. Since we have to drop the car off very early in the morning I will probably just call them while at the airport waiting for our flight. And if I get nowhere I will just dispute it with my credit card company if I have the time, which I doubt. You would think Alamo would just credit it as a good Will gesture- it’s $30 not $300!

The whole thing makes no sense. I have a written reservation and the guy at the counter didn’t even want to look at it. He said it’s a third party booking and they can’t do anything.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
And this is the response I got from Autoslash:
Hi Mary,

We’re happy to help you navigate this issue and are sorry to hear Alamo is giving you difficulty. We’re assuming that you’re writing about Alamo 128727334 (a reservation you tracked and was scheduled for pickup today). It’s always beneficial to relay the confirmation number from your selected rental car company — as we’re not Priceline, we can’t take any action based upon a Priceline trip number.

The important part to remember about reserving a car is that you have the choice in company and the rental car companyconfirms the reservation. Alamo gave you a confirmation number (Alamo 128727334) as a “Pay at Counter” rate. That means Alamo confirmed your vehicle at the agreed upon price as long as you arrived to pick up as booked. No other group than Alamo can set a rate and confirm an Alamo car and it’s unfortunate that their voice system tells you the proper rate while their website won’t. But Alamo has the ability to fix the situation.

The first step to get Alamo to honor their rate is to show the station manager the confirmation email and total from Alamo at the time of return. Alamo set the price and issued the confirmation number. And Alamo is the only company you pay. However, their staff may try to push you toward Priceline if you mention booking through Priceline, pretending it’s not their issue.

If Alamo’s station manager isn’t willing to honor the rate Alamo confirmed, please send us a copy of the receipt you receive at return (scan or legible cameraphone copy) and we will ask Priceline to push on Alamo. The rental car companies do know they must honor the rates they show major corporations like Priceline or risk losing the ability to list their cars on Priceline.

If we can be of additional assistance, please don’t hesitate to ask. Thanks again for trusting us to assist with your rental car pricing needs.

Best regards,

Michael
AutoSlash.com
We automatically slash your rental rates!

SEP 07, 2019 | 06:34PM EDT
Original message

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maryann I had the same problem as you described. The infamous expiring coupon. If this continues tuggers may stop using Autoslash.

In all fairness, autoslash stepped up for me, and sent me a check for 30 bucks. Not sure why they won’t do it for you.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Maryann I had the same problem as you described. The infamous expiring coupon. If this continues tuggers may stop using Autoslash.

In all fairness, autoslash stepped up for me, and sent me a check for 30 bucks. Not sure why they won’t do it for you.
AutoSlash may end up doing the refund for her, but she hasn't returned the car yet. They want to wait to see what the final charges will be.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm glad Autoslash is trying to help and also explaining things instead of just leaving you in the dark.
I know I have had great service from them and great responses and response time. I'm also the one that asked Autoslash to write how they work on this site as a service to all of us. Please follow up and let us know the end result.
Thank you,
Bart

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So the end result is:

We returned the car one day early and then went to the customer service desk and explained. The rep. saw the notes in our file and said no need for a manager and just credited us the $30 (actually $37) as a courtesy.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
We recently rented from priceline via the autoslash site and did not experience any issues. First rental Monterey with Alamo - Second rental Austin with Alamo and had no trouble getting the advertised rate. The website did not display our rental properly (expired coupon). When you called the Alamo # with your reservation, they did quote the correct price for both locations. We did discover a very nice perk with Alamo that we were unaware of; our flight was delayed getting into Monterey and when I called Alamo to change the time of our pick-up, we were told that they held the reservation for 12 hours from the initial pick-up time. We were also provided with decent cars - Nissan Sentra and Nissan Altima.