• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Top Things To Do And See For 6 Days in Yarmouth, Mass.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We are currently on the outer banks with a full kitchen and a Harris Teeter basically in our parking lot. I will be taking food home we planned for dinner. It is a shame HT doesn't move north. With fried chicken and subs cheap on Friday, racks of ribs on Sat, and Rotisserie chicken on sun for less than I can buy the ingredients it is too easy.

I actually do not eat meat (well- occasionally some turkey)- so a place like the Cape with lots of fish joints is perfect for me!

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a Shaws and a Stop and Shop nearby I read.

You will find both Shaws and Stop and Shop have rotisserie chicken and turkey. Assuming they carry the same items as the ones around here....you won't find a huge selection of prepared hot meals to go.

EDIT - just read the no meat. You can disregard above :)

Stop and Shop does have Peapod - which is their delivery service. If you want to avoid actually shopping, you can order online and set up a time window for you to just drive to the store and they bring the groceries out to you NOTE: they do charge slightly higher prices for this service than in the store.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
Hi,

Only worry about sharks near Chatham and on the National Sea Shore. They are not on the bay side or on the sound side and certainly never in the Lewis bay.
Sharks are on the national sea shore, because they are attracted by all the seals that populate Monomoy National Wildlife Refuge and Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary.
Huge abundance of food that attracts the whales, and seals, which attracts the sharks. oooh boy!

Last edited:

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
LOL! No- not worried about putting the car on the ferry at all. We take ferries all the time going to VT from NY.

The Cape one is just very expensive. I read somewhere that it is cheaper to just hop on the ferry and then rent a car when you get to Martha's Vineyard. Not sure how that works. Or- is it necessary to even have a car on Nantucket or Martha's Vineyard? That is what I am asking..If it is better to take the car, then we will so so.

When I was a kid I always went into the ocean and never thought twice about it (in NY, NJ and Connect)- just was always on the lookout for jelly fish. In Hawaii- I snorkeled away and of course, the Caribbean- love the water there!

But not familiar with the waters off the Cape except I am always hearing about sharks- especially great whites- and how cold the water is. That's enough to keep me away. And- yeah- crabs- no thanks! LOL! I guess I will be in the pool a lot!

If you are worried about getting around Martha's Vineyard, I know they have a public bus system. I've taken it to the Alpaca Farm out there. Not sure about Nantucket. I would imagine there are bikes for rent though. Maybe look into that.

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
Bayview Street Beach Hyannis is a little unknown gem..so SHHHHHHH!. This beach is free, but small and unique right where the ships come in and out of the harbor. I promise you there are zero sharks here. Zero. They have about 15 parking spots and we have gone here as late as 11 - 12 and parked without issues. Of course if it gets out too much it might be harder, but I'm going to share with TUG anyway. Very close to The Cove. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Bayview 1.jpg
    Bayview 1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 69
  • bayview 2.jpg
    bayview 2.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 68
  • bayview 3.jpg
    bayview 3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 77

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Bayview Street Beach Hyannis is a little unknown gem..so SHHHHHHH!. This beach is free, but small and unique right where the ships come in and out of the harbor. I promise you there are zero sharks here. Zero. They have about 15 parking spots and we have gone here as late as 11 - 12 and parked without issues. Of course if it gets out too much it might be harder, but I'm going to share with TUG anyway. Very close to The Cove. Enjoy.

Your secret's good with me! Thanks!

RNCollins

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tradewinds, Divi, Quarter House, Casa Ybel
We’ve been going to Chatham for over 40 years.
The Main Street is very nice with shops you can wander in and out of.
The Chatham Lighthouse has a nice view of the Atlantic. On a select few days during the summer they let you climb to the top...I’m not sure if you can do it off season.
Just down the road is the fish pier. Depending on the tide, you can watch the fishing boats come in and watch the fish get loaded off the boats.
If you are looking for a fine dining experience The Chatham Bars Inn is very nice.
The Chatham Airport offers flying tours during the summer, maybe during the off season on weekends?
There is a bike trail that goes through Chatham. I’m not sure which other towns it goes through.

sfwilshire

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tristram's Landing, Tree Tops Gatlinburg, Mystic Dunes, Sheraton Vistana Spas & Fountains
If you bike, you can rent bikes on Nantucket near the ferry. There are also guided tours available and public bus service. It isn't a big island and there is a lot to see and do in town, so for a day trip, I'd leave the car behind. We take ours over when we stay all week, but in the summer it is about $400 roundtrip for the car.

Sheila

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
If you bike, you can rent bikes on Nantucket near the ferry. There are also guided tours available and public bus service. It isn't a big island and there is a lot to see and do in town, so for a day trip, I'd leave the car behind. We take ours over when we stay all week, but in the summer it is about $400 roundtrip for the car.

Sheila

Thanks!

I think we will do tours of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard. I saw something that is in combination with the ferries. Do you think I need to book those now (2 weeks ahead) or wait until we are closer to the vacation? I hate to book them and then the weather is turns out bad. Closer I would at least have some idea of what the weather will be.

As for bikes- we would probably just rent and ride bikes on a bike path somewhere- not on Nantucket. Any ideas on that? Is there a bike path you would recommend?

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
The Cape Cod Rail trail runs from Dennis to Harwich then forks out to go to Chatham or Wellfleet and there are many other bike trails. There are leaflets about bike trails wherever they have them for attractions. There are a lot of bike rental shops on or near the rail trail.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So- I booked the high speed ferries from Hyannis- one (Hy Line with prepaid parking) to Martha's Vineyard for one day and a 3 hour group tour; and the other (Steamship Authority) to Nantucket on another day and will try to get the tickets for the 90 minute Barrett tour at the outgoing ferry ticket booth (since they only sell them there).

Since we have to check in a day late- and we can't really do anything much on the check in and check out days- this only really leaves 3 days for other things like bike riding, beaches, and sightseeing on the mainland, and hanging at the resort a bit.

Thanks for all your suggestions! I have them all written down and it looks like we will have plenty to do!

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only worry about sharks near Chatham and on the National Sea Shore. They are not on the bay side or on the sound side...

Herring Cove Beach in P-town is a CCNS beach on the bay side. There have been shark sightings there in recent days.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Fwiw, Herring Cove Beach in Provincetown is a CCNS beach, on the bay side. Shark sightings there in recent days. :shrug:

I'll stick with the pool! LOL!:D

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Tell me about week 26 in that area. I just closed on week 26 at Riverview in S. Yarmouth, thanks to an awesome TUGGER we’ve never been.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
It's gonna be hot and crowded with tourists. Riverview is a small resort converted so from a motel in the mid or late 1990's.

Greg G

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Star Island Kissimmee FL
Mary Ann
I second the suggestion on the town of Sandwich. It's a beautiful, quaint “Cape” town with many historical sites , Inns, and eateries
We went to the following places there:

Sandwich Glass Museum: The glass museum is an interesting museum of the famous glass works in Sandwich that operated from 1825 to 1888.

Hoxie House (Sandwich): A 1675 Cape cod “saltbox” house showing the harsh living conditions and social structure of early Cape Cod settlers. The guides are particularly good in that during their narration they explain the origins of many of the old sayings that we use daily.

The Dexter Grist Mill (Sandwich): A water powered corn mill that still operates today (you can even buy flour from them). It was interesting to see how they separate the various parts of the whole grain (kernel, cover, and inside pulp) during the milling process. Like the Hoxie house tour guides they also explained the origins of many of the old sayings (“nose to the grindstone”, “wait your turn”, “rule of thumb”, etc). Locals also fill up water jugs at the artesian fountain past the mill that is feed by Shawnee Pond. This area is very scenic.

Dunbar Tea Shop in Sandwich: This is a cozy little teahouse and garden that is perfect for a snack or lunch during your exploration of Sandwich. It serves various specialty teas, desserts, soups, lunch items, etc.

QpJ74HQ9gl-OceieuzbWPGpi5ECT58eJpKniJe22nBZbaTr5TnyHnbT9V12AI00iczY-ahXJzw02KdlHGzByQ18AJgjGCXa4Cnobydi9R10JpQLBoD60G9lB7W1yZjYnQoqr5wUS4Kk=w2400

IU04vC5Nun_-M7G2lSDZ01rHzrnbYbbxlIJcF7IzJzKRMQpLwzRN2GTfNErJPpywDgfm67gxNebf5iSXuSNuwJtoiSgDxzZdVIXoW6r_1xMq0SSmunIWlKWxeyrSZyqGTUiDu9tZnY0=w2400

Heritage Plantation and Gardens (Sandwich):
This expansive plantation houses several museums, car collections, and gardens. Its easy to get lost in this place because its so large. They have little shuttle buses (like golf carts) that you use like buses to take you to the various attractions on the plantation. The car museum was especially good. They also have a few café’s at the plantation. This isn’t a cheap place ($11/person) but it’s worth it

Greg

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mpumilla - how are you making out on the cape? Not the best weather week.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Mpumilla - how are you making out on the cape? Not the best weather week.

I was just about to post and you beat me to it!

Yes- it has been absolutely gloomy here all week. As I had mentioned, we arrived a day late due to my husband having to work. Saturday we arrived at 10:15 am and had a quick and easy check-in and a nice townhouse that backs up on Lewis Bay. After getting settled we went out to a Stop and Shop for some food and then got acclimated to the resort. The weather was cold and windy and I went in the indoor pool and hot tub. We then got the worst Chinese takeout we had ever tasted-worse than we had years ago in Virginia.

The next day- Sunday- was cloudy- but at least not raining-So we headed out to explore the entire National Seashore all the way up to Provincetown. Amazingly, the sun did peek out here and there and it did warm up a bit but still very windy. We did have to wear light jackets. This was my favorite part of the vacation. A very full day.

Then on Monday, our ferry to Martha's Vineyard was cancelled due to high winds and rough surf. But because we got to the dock early we were able to rebook for the next day, including the tour of the island we were scheduled to be on.

So - we re grouped and we took a ride to Sandwich and visited the Heritage Gardens and Museums (got a last minute Groupon deal) and some of the other sites that Greg G recommended. Just in time, as we were about done, it started to rain and we headed over to Captain Parkers Restaurant for fish and chips and that great clam chowder. We came back to the resort and sat outside listening to the band. I had an outlandishly priced White Russian sitting by the firepit. Band was good.

Tuesday the ferry left as scheduled to Martha's Vineyard and we had the 3 hour tour of the island. Had some really good lobster rolls at Nancy's. Again, it was cloudy, but the sun did peek out a bit, It was actually very humid and waiting to go back, we were all attacked by sea fleas. Then, it rained overnight in West Yarmouth.

Today, we went to Nantucket. Very cloudy and foggy and cold on the ferry. When we got there, again the sun peeked out and we went on the 90 minute tour that was cut down to one hour for who knows why. It began to warm up as we walked around the town afterwards and had a delicious home made ice cream waffle cone from the Juice Bar. Back on the ferry it was total fog and cold.

Tomorrow I think we will just chill at the resort. I think rain is expected. Overall, we did the things we wanted to do outside of beaching. Supposedly the sun is going to come out on Friday when we check-out and continue for most of the week. It figures.

tonyg

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Acadia Village Resort
After many disappointments in Chinese restaurants, we finally found one this spring in a shopping center in East Harwich - Szechuan Delight. Not great, but perhaps the best on the cape for take out.

mdurette

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad you are making the best of it!

Personally, I have never found the fascination with the cape. So many of my coworkers have moved there or have vacation homes there. I don't even have the interest to stay for a long weekend.

I keep thinking I need to head out to the Berkshires (western MA) for a week, but never make it there.

Give me New Hampshire or even Maine and I'm gone though....

missyrcrews

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cold Spring Resort, Acadia Village Resort, Samoset Resort
Glad you are making the best of it!

Personally, I have never found the fascination with the cape. So many of my coworkers have moved there or have vacation homes there. I don't even have the interest to stay for a long weekend.

I keep thinking I need to head out to the Berkshires (western MA) for a week, but never make it there.

Give me New Hampshire or even Maine and I'm gone though....
I've only been to the Cape one time. The thought of negotiating Boston traffic makes me a nervous wreck.

My parents have been to the Berkshires several times and stayed at the Wyndham at Bentley Brook. Great area...we're going for April break in 2020.

MaryAnn, glad that you've made lemonade out of the lemons. :) Now just to finish up the last week of work, and you can figure out what comes next! Safe travels home!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In some ways the Cape reminds me a bit of Long Island, NY. I personally can do without the endless stores and amusement venues and traffic. If it is like this now this time of year, I can't imagine how it must be in the height of summer. I don't do shopping. There is nothing in these shops I would want to buy at this stage in my life. I don't get it when I see these older people buying all kinds of unnecessary crap.

I do love the National Seashore- just beautiful and I loved the rough sea and the dunes and watching the seals roll in the water. There are a lot of ranger led activities that go on- just like in any National Park. We walked the Atlantic Cedar Tree Swamp Trail- lovely.

Paved bike paths everywhere, though we didn't have a chance to use them. Great seafood. And, of course, the charm of all the historic buildings and houses.

Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket are beautiful, though not places I would want to live even if I was rich. (How the heck can this many people be so rich? I mean- these 2 islands are just a small sample of the monetary richness in this country and I just don't get how there can be so many rich people in one country, never mind these small islands? What do they all do for a living?). Happy to have gotten to see them, but wouldn't go back because what they offer you can get on the mainland- ocean, fish, quaint shops and scenery. Again, the homes are gorgeous. The vibe is wonderful. But let's face it- they are the rich people's playgrounds and tourist traps.

On Martha's Vineyard I think there is just one public beach. I also took notice on the Nantucket Ferry back to the Cape that there were workers with paint on their clothes coming back from jobs they have there.

One thing I have always said- I think the Mass. people are great! Almost every interaction we have had with people from Mass. has been pleasant. They are just so darn nice!

Anyway, to each his own. I am not a "nautical" person. I do love the ocean and lakes and mountains.

As for the Berkshires, they are ok, but I was a bit bored there. (They are just 2 hours from where we live). You won't like them as much as NH or Maine. And definitely not as nice as Vermont- but to me, nothing is. ;)

PS After a week of nothing but clouds, rain and fog, starting on our checkout day there will be 4 days in a row of nothing but full sunshine!!!! Right now for the first time the sky is clear and we can see the moon and stars! SMH...

Last edited:

jl2010

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove At Yarmouth
Herring Cove Beach in P-town is a CCNS beach on the bay side. There have been shark sightings there in recent days.

It's Provincetown, on the very tip of Cape Cod and bordering Stellwagon bank and open Atlantic waters. I'm talking about Sandwich, Barnstable, Dennis, Brewster, Harwich, West Dennis, Hyannis, Falmouth, Mashpee, Osterville beaches etc and all the areas that don't have geography that Sharks are attracted too. Best to swim where sharks won't be. Inner Bay and Sound.