• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Top 10 Timeshare Questions! (new idea page)

Bill4728

Reaction score
I'd like to suggest another question:

question: I'm thinking of buying into a point based TS sytem, how many points should I buy?

Answer: In every system, a different number of points is needed to reserve rooms. So although we can't answer that question in general, the best answer is to buy enough points so that you can reserve the room size and season you most likely will want to use.

The biggest mistake most people make in purchasing a TS (AFTER BUYING DIRECT FROM THE DEVELOPER !) is not buying enough points. They will buy a small number of points, then find that with that small number of points, they can never reserve the size and season at the resort they wish to travel.

If you buy resale, points should be cheap enough to buy enough to travel when you want.

Good Luck

Stricky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did not read all the replys so forgive me if this has been mentioned.

I think there should be something about the RTU units. How is a deeded timeshare different then a right to use timeshare?

and how about a real basic one:
What is a timeshare?
or
How do timeshares work?

Cheers

(wow... I did not notice this was an old and then revived thread)

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
Got any video on that ?

I'm not quite getting it from just the diagram.

-- Alan Cole, McLean (Fairfax County), Virginia, USA.

focus on # 3

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Additional Question

I realize I'm exhuming a 3+ year-old thread but, has the question been raised in this thread and the FAQ section What should I/we do with a deceased (or soon-to-be deceased) relative's timeshare (that his heirs don't want)?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
im not sure, but its an interesting topic we can discuss and turn into an article.

I fear that we could tread into lots of "legalese" that may differ depending on state of residency and such perhaps.

we could do one that covers the basics though for sure though.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
and im glad you dug this up, rereading the thread someone has already done alot of work on many questions. I plan on sticking with a new article per week for now!

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
A:
You likely paid two 20to five 50times more than you should have if you had bought the exact same TS resale from a current owner.

dropped a zero

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
So...how about it...lets cough up some ideas.

What are the top 10 timeshare questions you expect people would ask upon finding TUG.

I know that hands down the first one is "how do I sell my timeshare"...so we can mark that as number 1.

how to rent is likely in the top 10...but im not sure thats number 2.

so what say you...the "borg collective" of timeshare guruism! what do you all think are the top ten timeshare questions?

*edited to add the ideas below...in no particular order...we will vote later)

1. How do I sell my timeshare?
2. How do I rent my timeshare?
3. Should I convert my RCI Week to RCI Poiints?
4. Is RCI Points better than RCI Weeks?
5. I have [RCI/Wyndham/etc.] points that are about to expire. What should I do with them? Can they be extended?
6. I know resale timeshares are cheaper, but aren't there advantages to buying from the developer?
7. What points system is best for me?
8. If I don't want to keep my timeshare, can I give it to charity and get a tax deduction?
9. Are [Marriott, HGVC, etc.] properties worth the extra cost?
10. If I only want to use a week for trading purposes, what should I buy?
11. I just purchased this timeshare from (fill in blank). How do I get out of it (or rescind)?
12. Which one is better - RCI or II?
13. What is the least expensive, most efficient, way to travel to my timeshare.
14. What timeshare purchase is best for my family?
15. How do I find the best re-sell price for a timeshare property?
16. Which is better buying form a developer like Marriott's or buying resale in the open market? Example: Tug Market Place
17. How do I select a timeshare? Example: Price, location of the t/s property, or the size of the unit. A lock unit or a non-lock unit.
18. How do I received the best exchange for my money. Do I purchase points or a fix week?
19. I just bought a TS from {blank} did I get a good deal?
20. Is it safe to buy a timeshare on E-Bay or Craigslist?
21. How do I protect myself if I do buy a timeshare on the internet?
22. What should I look for so I am not scamed over the internet?
23. What special access do I get to the Tug site because I'm a member?
24. What is Timeshare and how many different types are there?
25. What should I be looking for to buy my first timeshare?
26. Is a Timeshare an Asset or liability and why?
27. Why Join TUG?

Update - Page created...here is the link! http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/frequently_asked_questions_about_timeshares.html

This might come under questions 14, 20, 25, & 26, but what about something along the lines of "I've heard so much negativity and horror stories about owning a timeshare, why should I buy one?"

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
cleaned up the nonsense in this thread, sorry I got caught up in it...some people just cant play nice with others.

Anywhoo, friendly reminder that before asking for a new article, please be sure the topic is not already discussed in an existing article here:

http://advice.tug2.net

Thank you! Keep the questions coming!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Possible Additions?

This article here about rescinding:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

is invaluable.

If the article ever does get amended, may I suggest a couple of questions to address?

1) I signed a waiver waiving my rights of rescission. Do I still have those rights?

2) My rescission period has passed. What should I do (or not do)?

Rent_Share

TUG Member
Reaction score
This article here about rescinding:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/cancel_timeshare_purchase.html

is invaluable.

If the article ever does get amended, may I suggest a couple of questions to address? or Wategate Elara resales

1) I signed a waiver waiving my rights of rescission. Do I still have those rights?

2) My rescission period has passed. What should I do (or not do)?

1. Perhaps a reference to PROFECO, and a footnote to Nevada Re-sales sold via "presentation"

2. Learn to use it, buy additional resale and use the average cost method to accept your purchase

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I just signed up for a timeshare sales presentation. What should I do or expect?"

I know a person asking this probably only has one or two days between signing up for a presentation and actually attending one to find this info, but I think this would make for an interesting article.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
How about this as a possibility for either an article or a sticky in the Exchanging forum since we get this question asked fairly often:

Should I exchange my interval for a cruise? :shrug:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
How about this as a possibility for either an article or a sticky in the Exchanging forum since we get this question asked fairly often:

Should I exchange my interval for a cruise? :shrug:

nice call!

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I looked at this list of articles addressing common questions often raised here on TUG:

http://tug2.net/timeshare_advice/frequently_asked_questions_about_timeshares.html

Here is one question I did not see addressed and is occasionally raised by a Newbie:

What is a Quit Claim Deed?

Many newbies seem to have a misconception as to what it is, what it accomplishes, etc. The name of the document can sound misleading and can easily be misinterpreted.

Maybe a brief article explaining what it is (and what it is not) will help someone avoid disappointment and unmet expectations as well as possibly even falling for a scam.