TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 24 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG started 25 years ago this month in 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Check out our happy birthday post here: Happy Birthday TUG!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $10,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $10Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

To keep or rescind?

Discussion in 'New to Timesharing? Look Here!' started by maryi85, Sep 4, 2018.

?

Should we keep or rescind?

1. Keep

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Rescind

100.0%
  1. maryi85

maryi85 Guest

My husband and I purchased a time share from HICV this past Sunday, Sept 2 at their Gatlinburg, TN resort. We're in our early 30s and wanting to know if the time share we purchased is worth keeping or rescinding. One of the main reasons we were "sold" in getting a timeshare is bc we both enjoy traveling and have been wanting to travel overseas but it is never within our budget. The last minute deals and booking early on without using any points plus access to RCI seemed like a great opportunity for us to travel outside of the U.S. We also have a 6 month old baby and would like to be able to take a yearly family vacation especially as she gets older. I would really appreciate ya'll feedback and honesty especially since we our within our rescind window so we need to make a decision quick. I listed our contract agreement below.

1. Purchase Price: $11,400 for 50,000 points - They also threw in 50,000 extra points that will be available after 6 months of owning the time share. Then we will have another 50,000 points starting Jan 2019 which will put us at 150,000 points March 2019.

2. Down Payment: $1296

3. Maintenance Fees: $390 + $136 yearly membership fee

4. Monthly Payment: $194.92 @ 10 year term w/ 15% interest

2. jwalk03

jwalk03 TUG Member

Rescind. You paid thousands of dollars for something you could get on the resale market for next to nothing. Also you should not finance a luxury purchase like a timeshare as as potential savings or benefits you get from being an owner you are losing paying 15% interest!

You only have one chance to rescind, once time is up, there is never another opportunity. Do not delay, rescind today. And then after you have rescinded you can research and learn about timeshare ownership on TUG. If you ultimately decide that what you bought is exactly what you want and the price is right (IT ISN'T, but just for the sake of argument.) then you can go back and get the same "one time deal" again. TRUST ME, you won't do this, but I am just pointing out that there is absolutely no reason not to rescind this contract while you still have time! Do it now!!

theo, Egret1986, TUGBrian and 2 others like this.
  3. Iggyearl

Iggyearl TUG Member

Ditto to Jwalk. Would you buy a car with a 15% interest rate? You NEED a car. But, you don't NEED a timeshare. This is a product that you were SOLD. You should step back, get out of the contract, then study the industry for a few months. You signed a lifetime contract that may not fit as your young one starts to have school, and you have career changes. Just about everything you purchased can be found cheaper on the resale market. You are WISE for asking the question. Others will echo these and previous remarks..

Egret1986, TUGBrian and mpumilia like this.
  4. maryi85

maryi85 Guest

Thank ya'll for responding so quickly!! Ya'll made this decision so much easier since it has been weighing on mine and my husband's mind.

5. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Yup. Get thee to thy post office with that rescission letter. Pronto! You can get far more points for far less cost on the resale market. And not to burst your timeshare bubble, but timeshares are generally NOT a good way to travel 'overseas' with the exception of Mexico and Hawaii.

Jim

6. mpumilia

mpumilia TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Smugglers Notch Resort
    Innseason Pollard Brook
    Go, Go, Go! Off to the post office today! And don't look back!

TUGBrian likes this.
  7. Panina

Panina TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Hgvc Eagles Nest, Hgvc Surf Club, Hgvc Indian River, Hgvc Anderson, Sunrise Bay & Club, Chetola, Gulf Tides, Jade Tree Cove, Banyan Resort, Blue Ridge Village
    Consider yourself one of the lucky one that just saved $11,400 by finding TUG. Welcome to TUG. You will learn so much here to figure out what timeshare will work for your family and how to get it for the right price.

TUGBrian likes this.
  8. TUGBrian

TUGBrian Administrator

Grats! you just saved $11,400 bucks!

Egret1986 likes this.
  9. dori47

dori47 TUG Member

they sure do make it sound wonderful with the presentation, don't they?

Egret1986, IntuitiveMe and TUGBrian like this.
  10. Passepartout

That part is fairly accurate. What they neglect to disclose is that their price is about 900% to infinity over what one can get the exact same product on the resale market.

Jim

TUGBrian and Egret1986 like this.
  11. jackio

jackio Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Sand Pebbles, Presidential Villas at Plantation Resort, Quarter House
    50,000 HICV points are not enough to give you a 2BR prime week in their system. Example - it takes 98,000 points to book my week in Las Vegas in a 1BR. You are lucky to be able to rescind on time. Take note - if you purchase an HICV property resale, you will not get points, the points will revert to weeks unless you buy resale in Myrtle Beach, Lake Geneva or Gatlinburg. Any other Holiday Inn property will transfer as a fixed or floating week that will have to trade through RCI or an independent company.

TUGBrian likes this.
  12. IntuitiveMe

IntuitiveMe Guest

My husband and I were at the South Beach Myrtle Beach resort last Wednesday and purchased the exact same package! Thank god for TUG because the next day we sent our cancellation letter.

We're in our early 30s as well and looking to do more travel. We really like the HICV program but want to purchase points affordably on the resale market. I'm currently doing research on TUG.

TUGBrian and Panina like this.
  13. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Remind...then buy resale.

14. Passepartout

You meant RESCIND! (isn't 'autocorrect' wonderful?)

TUGBrian and silentg like this.
  15. silentg

silentg TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Orange Lake, Holly Tree,Calini Beach, Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes, The Pines At Aspen East
    Thanks I missed that

TUGBrian likes this.
  16. dayooper

dayooper TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    HGVC at The Flamingo
    Rescind. Then study the different systems to see if they are for you. If you find one that will work, then look at resale. Rent at on e of the resorts, if you can.

TUGBrian likes this.
  17. maryi85

maryi85 Guest

Feeling so thankful for the creation of the internet and this forum bc it saved my husband and I from making a costly mistake!! Sent out our cancellation/rescind letter via certified USPS mail and made sure someone would sign off on it.

The crazy thing is my husband and I do not even recall signing the page that states you can cancel the Agreement. AND we especially don't remember the woman who did the signing process mentioning you can cancel the Agreement within this certain time!?

18. Passepartout

They are required to 'mention' rescission, but they sure don't stress it. We're glad you found us. We've saved people just like you over $10 MILLION dollars. And counting.

Jim

TUGBrian likes this.
  19. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

That's probably because your minds weren't focused, but that's to be expected after the sales people put you through the wringers and hold you there for hours on in. The sales people have a sneaky way of casually mentioning rescission while the buyers are just focused on signing the papers so they can get out of there.

20. maryi85

maryi85 Guest

It's more than likely what happened bc we were ready just to get out of there and get something to eat after being there all morning!?!?

TUGBrian likes this.
  21. Egret1986

Egret1986 TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

Congratulations on finding TUG and dodging that proverbial bullet. :clap:

TUGBrian likes this.
  22. KevinQC

KevinQC Guest

Resorts Owned:
    HIVC
    My story is the exact same. Same amount same points, same situation. Glad i found this forum as something told it didn’t feel right and this just confirmed. Since i purchased in florida i have 10 days to rescind but was wondering, How does a rescind letter look like? Anyone has examples or templates i could base myself on?

Thanks in advance for your precious help!!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    TUGBrian likes this.
  23. Passepartout

Nothing fancy. There are templates all over TUG- mostly under the name of the system. The instructions for rescission are required to be in your contract. Usually they put them somewhere around the signature page. They are not obvious. Follow them EXACTLY.

But in a pinch, on the back of an envelope, napkin, paper towel or toilet paper, write:

I/We wish to rescind and cancel the purchase of contract #_______________ dated 9/__/2018 at (location)
    Signed _____________husband
    ______________wife
    Refund all down payments ASAP.
    Promotional materials to be returned under separate cover.

Mail it to the business office (not the resort) USPS Certified w/return receipt

Jim

TUGBrian likes this.
  24. DrQ

DrQ TUG Member

Here is an example I found and modified

TUGBrian likes this.
  25. Passepartout

That's fine, but unnecessarily legalese. The important thing is that it gets postmarked within the allowable time frame.

Welcome to TUG. We're glad you found us in time.

Jim

TUGBrian likes this.