• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

To keep developer deal or rescind?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
@dayooper Thanks for the advice. You’ve also brought up a point to consider...I’m 40 my wife is 35...kids are 6 and 9...the wife and I will vacation well beyond the ~12 years we have left with them. So does it matter where my home Resort is? Because I’m sure we won’t be coming to seaworld when we are empty nesters. Anyone feel free to chime in if you’ve been in my shoes.
Get yourself familiar where hgvc properties are. Do you find a location that you say wow I would go there at least 1/2 the time if I didn’t have to take the kids. Then you might want to consider purchasing there.

For me that is Marco Island, Fl and all but one of the hgvc properties I own are on Marco Island. The one that isn’t on Marco Island is a week that has high points that I am not planning ever to use as my home property week. It is just for trading within the hgvc system.

Smclaugh99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Hilton Club
I completely agree with what everyone has said. I travel to Orlando a lot and have stayed at all four of the HGVC resorts there countless times. I even stayed in Las Palmeras back when it was a Westin. It will be the best location for Universal’s new theme park (it is happening), but it’s my least favorite Orlando resort. Points are a little higher, pool area not big or as family friendly, and staff more pretentious. It definitely still feels like a hotel and not a sprawling resort where you can park in front of your building.

In Orlando, there is generally good availability even up to one week before your potential reservation. Now if you want to get a three bedroom unit you probably have to book several months out if you are traveling during holiday periods, but rarely will you find no availability. For resale you will get the best deal with Sea World. 7000 2br Platinum week ranges from $4k to $7k and MF are reasonable.

My only pet peeve is at all of the Orlando resorts they will have a person guiding you to the check-in desk (where there is always a small waiting line) then over to the concierge area for a ‘parking pass’. They will small talk about why you’re visiting and offer information about the parks then always try to push you into “just a quick one hour presentation” owners update. I always politely preempt them and tell them I’m not interested, but they still try it every single time. It’s always an extra step that wastes time especially if you’ve been traveling and just want to get to your room. Would much rather they have those extra two or three people able to check you in and give you keys rather than an extra slimy step.

Sean

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thanks @GT75. Btw, I paid for a membership but I’m not sure how to switch from guest. I found this site last night and read all night and went to a theme park all day so I’m exhausted. It’s highly possible I just missed an obvious link.

We did the Disney/Universal trip two years ago. Exhausting! Comedian Jim Gaffigan has a great bit on Disney and it’s spot on.

Chop999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Panina I will definitely need to put some thought into a location. We live in Louisville, KY and most of our vacationing has revolved around our kids so much that it’s Destin and Orlando EOY. Our kid-free getaways have been mainly to the Caribbean on all inclusive w/airfare last minute Apple-style deals we find through a travel agency I follow on Facebook. So does it cost you more to have more MF’s (he called them HOA Fees in the presentation) on multiple properties you own rather than consolidated to one with higher points? Just wondering if there was an advantage I haven’t thought of. I’ve been looking on the resale list on here and looked at higher points rather than multiple smaller ones. Is it better to shop here or on say eBay or another reseller site in your opinion?

@Smclaugh99 The salesman also told me that Hilton is building a new resort right next to Las Palmeras. Literally across the parking lot is where he pointed. He said this was due to the “Universal 2” announcement. The area he pointed to was between Las Palmeras and Top Golf/Andretti’s. When we viewed from the 3 example rooms he showed that ground has been broken on the Univeral development and I could see excavators and haul trucks working. How much of what he told me was BS vs reality...who knows? And you’re right. I’ve looked at several seaworld deals on here and they seem to be the least. I guess I need to consider what in the world I would do in Orlando as a kid-free adult. I come down to Celebration/Kissimmee for the February auctions for my work but that’s on the company’s dime. I’ve been beat to hell this week on every roller coaster you can imagine, if I didn’t have kids I wouldn’t punish my body like this. Lol

Chop999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I really wish I had recorded him with my phone. He went through a lot of info super quick after wasting much of our appointment bragging on his accomplishments with guitar, Single A baseball, wife is an oral surgeon and he was the chief of radiology in NY but he makes more selling timeshares. I said ‘everything you just told me for the last hour and a half could be a lie for all I know and all I wanted was to see prices’. So he pulled in his manager and he talked even faster. I remember there was a part about discounted rooms and I assumed it was hotel stays but I could be wrong. I don’t see any of that in the paperwork he gave me. Glad to know I’m not the only person that went in with no intentions to buy but walked out with a “sucker” tat on my forehead. And thank God for you guys and this site!!!

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@Panina So does it cost you more to have more MF’s (he called them HOA Fees in the presentation) on multiple properties you own rather than consolidated to one with higher points? Just wondering if there was an advantage I haven’t thought of. I’ve been looking on the resale list on here and looked at higher points rather than multiple smaller ones. Is it better to shop here or on say eBay or another reseller site in your opinion?

Many here will tell you get the most points you can get at the lowest mf’s. If you will only be using your points for trading I agree. If there is a place you want to go at least half the time I believe you should get it where and when you would want to go, if it is a harder place /time to trade into, even if it is worth less points and your mf is higher. I overall believe buy where and when you want to go.

When I got my first hgvc week I got a 3400 point week for free. I wanted to try out the system and it was a place I liked to go. I used it a few years and my other half decided he preferred Marco Island. I found a new home for it, gifted it like it was gifted to me, to someone who wanted to try the system without having to have cash outlay.

One of my Marco Island weeks is worth 3500 points, some would say too few points for the mfs I pay. It is a fixed week that I will use most of the time. I got it for free from a fellow tugger. Being I will use it and it was for free I am ok with paying a higher maintenance fee.

Two others are winter flex weeks that I can get up to 7000 point per week. Most times I will use them but if not I have the option to convert to points. I purchased these as trading for prime weeks in the winter on Marco Island is hard.

The last one I use is for trading, 8400 points. I went for the most points for the least amount of cost and reasonable mf.

In addition to getting one for free, I purchased two on eBay from the same reputable seller and one on tug marketplace from a reputable realtor.

Last edited:

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Just wondering if there was an advantage I haven’t thought of.

I think that @Panina response to your question is spot on. I will just let you know that HGVC Florida Gulf and Atlantic affiliates (such as Eagles Nest, Surf Club on Marco Island and Plantation Beach Club at Indian River) are hard to trade into. So, if you want to go there regularly, then it is best to own there. In fact the last time that I went there, I just ask if there were any opening for any property for my dates.

My portfolio is designed the same. Some I have purchased, because I go there and need "Home Week" advantage (for example, skiing at Valdoro Mountain Lodge in Breckenridge and Sunrise Lodge in Park City). Others, I just utilize the points for club season bookings. That is the beauty of the flexibility of the HGVC system.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
two more in one post! fantastic!

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
I wouldn't buy Valdoro for a ski week. Ski weeks, including Christmas, are relatively easy to come by if you are even mildly persistent, but for some reason the myth is perpetuated that one needs to own there. I'm on my third Christmas week in as many years, this year in a 3 BR. Couple the availability at ~4 months out with the largely fixed week setup, and it becomes evident owning there isn't worth the premium on MFs. I don't own there anymore, however I'll be visiting 4 times this ski season with my Vegas ownership.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is true that Universal has bought ~575 acres to the North and East of Las Palmeras. There is speculation that it will be a new theme park, but no one knows for sure... it could just be a commercial complex and warehouses.

It really matters not where you buy, since you can book virtually any HGVC resort at 9-months out (when all points are just points), unless you are intent on going to a high-demand locale (NYC, Honolulu or mountains in ski-season) for which you may want a home-week advantage (in your season, 12-9 months out). Orlando doesn't get a high-demand rating due to oversupply.

The real reason for wanting platinum is that MF's are based on size, not season, so platinum gets you more points per MF$ than does gold, silver or bronze. You'll pay a premium up front, but you could enhance your travels considerably over the long-haul.

Perfectly said. As stated above, Orlando does have oversupply. You should have NO issues booking 9 months out or less in a 2br or less. The 3brs units are less plentiful - so when booking those I always do it 9 months out to make sure I got one.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
One thing the sales weasels do not make clear is that affiliates are different. We got excited about access to the FL beach properties on Marco, Sanibel, Captiva and Indian River after our presentation (we bought a sampler and rescinded that after finding TUG and bought resale) - then we found out that they are much harder to get. The reason is that an owner does NOT have to be a part of HGVC, and even if they are they have their week to use by default - unlike with our points system you own no week - you just have a head start 9-12 months about to book an ENTIRE week WITH THE UNIT SIZE YOU OWN at your home resort. So somebody had to turn in their week (or perhaps the resort can turn in weeks they might own) - this all leading to limited inventory. You also cannot watch it online - you have to call into HGVC. We have booked at Marco, Sanibel, Ft Myers and Indian River - but it is a lot of work.

So if you want to go to a FL affiliate property often, you are better off to buy there - as others have stated.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One thing the sales weasels do not make clear is that affiliates are different. We got excited about access to the FL beach properties on Marco, Sanibel, Captiva and Indian River after our presentation (we bought a sampler and rescinded that after finding TUG and bought resale) - then we found out that they are much harder to get. The reason is that an owner does NOT have to be a part of HGVC, and even if they are they have their week to use by default - unlike with our points system you own no week - you just have a head start 9-12 months about to book an ENTIRE week WITH THE UNIT SIZE YOU OWN at your home resort. So somebody had to turn in their week (or perhaps the resort can turn in weeks they might own) - this all leading to limited inventory. You also cannot watch it online - you have to call into HGVC. We have booked at Marco, Sanibel, Ft Myers and Indian River - but it is a lot of work.

So if you want to go to a FL affiliate property often, you are better off to buy there - as others have stated.
Plus most of the Florida affiliates (except Charter Club)also have the option of being members of II and can trade there.

GTLINZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Plus most of the Florida affiliates (except Charter Club)also have the option of being members of II and can trade there.

I agree - that is a bonus. I have access to Interval also and like it much better than RCI.

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m so glad that I found TUG. We just bought this same deal at the presentation yesterday (Las Palmeras in Orlando). We were told by the salesman that HGVC couldn’t be found on the secondary market because of ROFR. I plan to type the letter tonight to rescind and mail it when we get back home. Although I guess I could print it at the business office at HGVC Sea World where we are staying and mail it here locally. I’ve read so many posts and stickies on here that I am thoroughly confused. I would like to own 4800-7000 or so points for every year or would settle for EOY. I looked at the listings on here but now have no idea how to tell if it’s a good deal or not. My kids are 6 & 9 and love seaworld right now. I was thinking they may age up and outgrow it in a couple years so maybe somewhere like Universal would be good. The salesman told us they were building a new Universal just outside where Las Palmeras is located. So I honestly don’t really even know where to buy or if it even matters where my home Resort is or if it’s a big deal for us to buy Platinum if we frequently like to travel the first week or two of October (fall break for their school) which is outside that season. Panina I was going to send you a PM to see if you’d hold my hand through the process but I don’t want to be anyone’s burden. I’ll take all the help I can get though. And sorry to hijack a thread while adding a success story to it.
You are welcome to pm message me, never a burden. I will be glad to help you.

smokyhill

TUG Member
Reaction score
They offered us 7000 EOY points for around $19,000.00 a few years back. We ended up buying 2 4800 EY Platinum units resale (9600 total points) for less than $1.00 a point. For us, we've found out 9600 every year is just too many to use every single year. Since you can borrow forward, we're probably going to end up selling our 4800 Sea World unit. Look around and don't get in a hurry and you should easily be able to find something for less than $1.00 a point. I do think you'll enjoy HGVC as all of the resorts we've visited so far are very nice. Good luck.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I wouldn't buy Valdoro for a ski week. Ski weeks, including Christmas, are relatively easy to come by if you are even mildly persistent, but for some reason the myth is perpetuated that one needs to own there. I'm on my third Christmas week in as many years, this year in a 3 BR. Couple the availability at ~4 months out with the largely fixed week setup, and it becomes evident owning there isn't worth the premium on MFs. I don't own there anymore, however I'll be visiting 4 times this ski season with my Vegas ownership.

I am assuming that you are very flexible with your bookings but I am glad that this is working for you. I know that @PigsDad is also able to utilize booking Valdoro during open season because he lives very close and has a flexible schedule. I don't know if you are within driving distance of Valdoro from Kansas but that would make a difference. I sure don't recommend purchasing Valdoro unless you need to because they have some of the highest MF/point in the HGVC system. I think that for me owning a ski week there is very worthwhile because it makes booking much easier and I am able to get the week(s) that I want. I will be going 3 times to Breckenridge this year and I went 3 times last year (maybe we will be there at the same time). I just wouldn't want to set expectations too high for someone unfamiliar with booking Valdoro.

You do make some very good points, it all depends how persistent someone is and I think how flexible.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas
I attended a presentation on Saturday and ended up purchasing a 1BR during platinum season at HGVC Parc Soleil. This gives me 4800 points every other year. They also threw in 9,600 bonus points that will be available in 6 months. All this for $19,500. The maintenance fees are 956 every other year and 170 every year.
I have looked up the resale value for properties here and have come up with prices as low as 4K to as high as 22k. My question is if this was a good deal from the developer that I should keep. Or, should I rescind? I have 10 days to rescind and I am currently on day 6.

Hey YB, I just purchases my Hilton TS from the Vegas location and went to a different one earlier then the Hilton one in order to get my discount on the hotel/resort. Sadly I did sign up for it because I thought it was a good deal, but after getting home, getting on tug and reading the forums, I really could not justify that much money plus maint fees on top of the 17.5% interest rate. Thanks to TUG they saved my life I am about to recind the contract since I am on the last day and am going to mail it via certified mail with return receipt requested. I was able to find perforated page with the notice of cancellation in one of the books that they gave me with the address already in there so there is no confusion as to which address to use. It was buried deep into one of the handbooks and on the page it stated, "THE PROSPECTIVE PURCHASER MUST BE PROVIDED A HARD COPY OF THIS NOTICE OF CANCELLATION AT THE TIME OF SIGNING." I'm using their copy so there will not be any misunderstandings.

I'm curious as to how quickly everything was refunded back into your account with the down payment etc..?

Chop999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hey YB, I just purchases my Hilton TS from the Vegas location and went to a different one earlier then the Hilton one in order to get my discount on the hotel/resort. Sadly I did sign up for it because I thought it was a good deal, but after getting home, getting on tug and reading the forums, I really could not justify that much money plus maint fees on top of the 17.5% interest rate. Thanks to TUG they saved my life I am about to recind the contract since I am on the last day and am going to mail it via certified mail with return receipt requested. I was able to find perforated page with the notice of cancellation in one of the books that they gave me with the address already in there so there is no confusion as to which address to use. It was buried deep into one of the handbooks and on the page it stated, "THE PROSPECTIVE PURCHASER MUST BE PROVIDED A HARD COPY OF THIS NOTICE OF CANCELLATION AT THE TIME OF SIGNING." I'm using their copy so there will not be any misunderstandings.

I'm curious as to how quickly everything was refunded back into your account with the down payment etc..?

Hello @soldieroverhere and glad you found TUG in time to save $$$. From my experience earlier this month, the money was refunded into my account at within one week. I sent mine from Orlando to Orlando though so it was next day delivery. It is all dependent on what your payment method was though. A check had a longer waiting period for return. I called the contract manager whose card was included in my contract documents and was treated very well and given very quick answers. HGVC was professional throughout and I wasn’t contacted by my salesperson. Take $15 of that money you saved and sign up to be a member of TUG. You’ll learn a lot here by researching and asking questions as you begin to shop the resale market and it is well worth the small fee.