• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping TS Housekeeping

rpoyourow

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like to leave a good tip for the housekeeping staff. We are careful, though - one stay at a very high-end resort with daily full maid service with a very attentive housekeeper led us to plan a significant tip. She asked that we hide it in an envelope buried under the cutlery in a kitchen drawer, as the floor supervisor apparently had a habit of getting to the units as soon as they were vacated and secretly pocketing any tips left behind...FWIW

We leave a tip before our last day to avoid this problem. We find out who is serving our room and when they are likely to be there, and leave a tip under a pillow so it is discovered when the bed is made up.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
We leave a tip if the unit is clean when we arrive. I always leave a note of appreciation for the clean room with $20. I see it as a way to pay it forward to the next person staying.

We had a recent stay in a studio with a murphy bed. When the bed was pulled down I looked behind it in the dead space and it was disgusting, huge dust bunnies and cracker crumbs, etc. No tip, just a note telling housekeeping to clean behind the bed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

2saltydawgs

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
villa del palmar cabo san lucas
For TS housekeeping, in Mexico we leave about 100 pesos per day, or $5 USD in USA TS.
FWIW - we were told that the baggers in Mexico grocery stores work for tips, and that's their pay - so we always tip them about 20 pesos per bag of groceries.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Inside the US:

I only tip waitstaff. They are paid cr@p as an hourly wage. I hate the system. I worked it when I was in high school. It allows the employer to be lazy and schedule many servers and not incur a financial penalty.

Growing up as a military brat, the other instance were the baggers at the commissary that work for tips alone.

I had a paper route and I got a few tips (I never expected them) and at Christmas about half my customers would slip me $5 (Many times homemade treats which were just as welcome).

If an employer allows a tip jar for regular employees then I see it as being cheap and underpaying their staff. I order my coffee black, no sugar, so why should I tip a barista?

I don't support it.

Outside the US:

I know many people work for tips alone.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We were away for XMAS just a few days at an Inn. The gratuity was included in the rate so we didn't leave a tip, though I am thinking since it was XMAS we should have left extra.

As for the restaurants we went to we left an extra 5% - 10% because it was the holidays. So like 25% or more instead of the usual 15-20%.

FYI- our son works part-time in a brewery. Bar tends and serves some of the food and whatever they need him to do.The Sunday and Monday of New Years eve- and the place was only open until 10pm on New Years eve- he made- wait for it- $700 in tips! Of course his salary there is sh$%^&. He loves working there- the vibe and all that and he just does it for extra money in addition to his full time job- which I guess is working out well! LOL!

I am thinking this might be a new career for me! Ha! Ha!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Come to think of it, our XMAS dinner was buffet style, but we still left a big tip. We had two people attending to our table- getting rid of the used dishes to make more room on the table and getting us water and coffee and a drink. Hey- they were working on XMAS- they deserved it.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Inside the US:

I only tip waitstaff. They are paid cr@p as an hourly wage. I hate the system. I worked it when I was in high school. It allows the employer to be lazy and schedule many servers and not incur a financial penalty.

Growing up as a military brat, the other instance were the baggers at the commissary that work for tips alone.

I had a paper route and I got a few tips (I never expected them) and at Christmas about half my customers would slip me $5 (Many times homemade treats which were just as welcome).

If an employer allows a tip jar for regular employees then I see it as being cheap and underpaying their staff. I order my coffee black, no sugar, so why should I tip a barista?

I don't support it.
My daughter worked in a deli for several years. They were paid minimum wage and always appreciated tips. If you are not using the tip jar because you think the place is cheap and underpaying their staff, who do you think you are hurting? It's the staff. Those people who are taking your order, making your food, even if it's just pouring you a cup of coffee.

Outside the US:
I know many people work for tips alone.
I guess it depends where you go. Some countries don't encourage tipping, and don't even want the tips. Those are places they are paid a decent wage.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you stay in the same resort unit for multiple weeks, do you leave out the money at the end of each week?

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you stay in the same resort unit for multiple weeks, do you leave out the money at the end of each week?
Yes. Just like you leave it daily when you stay a few nights in hotels.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My daughter worked in a deli for several years. They were paid minimum wage and always appreciated tips. If you are not using the tip jar because you think the place is cheap and underpaying their staff, who do you think you are hurting? It's the staff. Those people who are taking your order, making your food, even if it's just pouring you a cup of coffee.
I stand in line, they pour my coffee, they call my number while I'm standing, I just don't agree. Same when I order a meal, I don't consider SERVICE bringing it to my table after I stand in line, place my order, get my own drink and they just bring the order to my table. If you say, "Well they prepared your meal", when I worked in a restaurant, the waitstaff did not share their tips with the kitchen.

I understood TIPS ment To Insure Proper Service.

When I sit down to a table and a SERVER takes my order, brings me a beverage, times my appetizer, main meal and enquires on the quality of the meal and then takes my payment, that's SERVICE.

I don't tip MehC Donalds.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I've said this before and will say it again. If we can't afford $20-$25 per week tip for housekeeping, we will stay home!

I see your point, but especially at Worldmark where we never lay eyes on anyone from a 1-7 day stay AND we've paid a $100 cleaning fee, we do not tip.

Reactions: DrQ

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I stand in line, they pour my coffee, they call my number while I'm standing, I just don't agree. Same when I order a meal, I don't consider SERVICE bringing it to my table after I stand in line, place my order, get my own drink and they just bring the order to my table. If you say, "Well they prepared your meal", when I worked in a restaurant, the waitstaff did not share their tips with the kitchen.

I understood TIPS ment To Insure Proper Service.

When I sit down to a table and a SERVER takes my order, brings me a beverage, times my appetizer, main meal and enquires on the quality of the meal and then takes my payment, that's SERVICE.

I don't tip MehC Donalds.
I tip because I know these people aren't making much, because they do provide service, no matter how trivial you may think it is. I tip because I feel fortunate that I can. We will just have to disagree on this. And thank goodness for my daughter and others who work in the food industry, not everyone feels like you do.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I've said this before and will say it again. If we can't afford $20-$25 per week tip for housekeeping, we will stay home!
I tip because I know these people aren't making much, because they do provide service, no matter how trivial you may think it is. I tip because I feel fortunate that I can.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Totally agree with you both.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I tip because I know these people aren't making much, because they do provide service, no matter how trivial you may think it is. I tip because I feel fortunate that I can. We will just have to disagree on this. And thank goodness for my daughter and others who work in the food industry, not everyone feels like you do.
Do you tip fast food workers when there is no tip jar, that usually are not making much also?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Do you tip fast food workers when there is no tip jar, that usually are not making much also?
I don't eat fast food.

But yes, I have tipped food service personnel when there isn't a tip jar available.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
How do you feel about the places that supply an envelope you bring to the checkout. I usually leave my tip in the unit even with this. I do not trust it will be distributed equitably by the front office. I know there is a chance that the tip left in the unit will not get into the correct hands either, but feel that at least it isn't pocketed by management.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
How do you feel about the places that supply an envelope you bring to the checkout. I usually leave my tip in the unit even with this. I do not trust it will be distributed equitably by the front office. I know there is a chance that the tip left in the unit will not get into the correct hands either, but feel that at least it isn't pocketed by management.

I've mentioned before that when we stayed one night in a cabin in Grand Tetons NP, rather than return to our Worldmark lodgings, we left a tip on the dresser. We didn't even have the key in the ignition before a male worker bee I was positive was a handyman, and not a housekeeper, was in our unit. That time we should have taken it to the front desk.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tip the chef, when I ordered my omelet at a hotel or at a restaurant.

We always tip our housekeeper during our timeshare and hotel stays.

Cliffaith, I liked your statement at some resorts the houseman or handyman sometime is in the villas before the housekeeper. I also feel my tip sometimes may not go to the housekeeper because of this occurrence. IMHO.

We always leave a tip and a note with a smiley face, thanking the housekeeper for an excellent job.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Tipping practices depend on the country. In Spain, we have had maids refuse to take the money we left on our pillow. My understanding is that, in most of Europe and In England (unlike in the U.S.), workers are paid a decent wage and do not expect or need much if anything in the way of tips. This goes for taxi drivers, bellboys, & waiters, too...though taxi drivers I have been told have come to expect something like 5% or a bit better.