• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping TS Housekeeping

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Okay, the curmudgeon is checking in now.

I've never left a tip for housekeeping as essentially I didn't (and do not) see the need. I mean where does this end - should one tip for every service one receives? I just came from the grocery store - do I tip the cashier? The bagger? The guy pulling carts in from the lot? At the resort, do I tip the check in staff? Activites staff?

IMO, it is up to the establishment to pay the wages it needs to attract and retain suitable talent. The establishment's performance (which includes all of its employees / associates) influences whether or not I am likely to return again in the future. In a hotel or timeshare, I'm already paying a considerable amount of money to be there, the resort (or hotel) needs to pay its employees / associate suitable wages.

This article looks like a covert effort to transfer more costs from the resort / hotel to the consumer.
Pass.

I tend to agree with you, bbodb1. As an example, on my last trip to Villa del Palmar Cancun we received a notice during check in that a daily $3.50 mandatory charge would be added to our ending bill to tip those people that work behind the scenes (gardeners, maintenance staff, etc.). So, in this case, I don't even get to decide if the grounds conditions or my unit's plumbing is satisfactory to justify a tip. Sounded to me more like a way for the resort to avoid giving the staff a raise.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Automatic tipping for the cruise industry is now normal (it includes your stateroom attendance, restaurant staff, maintenance personnel, etc.).

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Automatic tipping for the cruise industry is now normal (it includes your stateroom attendance, restaurant staff, maintenance personnel, etc.).
... and we still budget an additional 5% of our cruise fare, split between those who excel in taking care of us and distribute to them on the last evening.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
All this is fine and dandy - more power to y'all - but I'd be curious if the two of you would answer my previous (sort of) question. Having just come from the grocery store, do you tip the cashier, the cart pusher, the counter clerk at the deli? Where does the idea of tipping begin / end? Each of the individuals I just mentioned are also providing you a service aren't they?

Edit: FWIW, let me say that I am asking these questions inquisitively, not from the standpoint that there is a right / wrong here....
I usually limit my tipping to places where the employer assumes that the employees are getting tips.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
A couple of months ago, I unknowingly tipped a millionaire. We went to a restaurant, had a good meal and a nice conversation with the server, so I added a generous tip to the bill. Two days later, DW was watching HGTV's My Lottery Dream Home and asked "isn't that our waitress?" I Googled it and found out that in 2015 she won the Minnesota's $11.7 million Hot Lotto. She still works part time at the restaurant because she enjoys meeting the people. Here's the full story: http://www.presspubs.com/st_croix/news/article_da41d134-d702-11e4-aa28-3331ba1d93bd.html

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
The hardest physical job I ever did was as a Courtesy Clerk (bagger) in a large grocery chain when I was 18. Back then minimum wage in California was $2 an hour and I made $2.23 per hour. Every day I came home soaking wet. Part of it was me, wanting to move up. When I finally did move up a year later 3 people were hired to do the job I did. I was consistently offered tips but had to refuse them because we weren't allowed tips and could be fired for taking them. I finally learned to tell customers that wanted to tip me that the most help to me was to tell the store manager why they wanted to tip me. Also, it was a union company and of my $2.23 an hour I had to pay $150 initiation fee and $12 a month to be in the union. After 90 days I did start receiving benefits of medical and dental (this was 1970).
The way I view tipping is very mixed. If someone does something extra for me I tip them and usually very well. If it is not a tip I can hand them directly I do not tip. We also clean up after ourselves and when our kids were young we even vacuumed if they made any kind of mess. We throw out the garbage, strip the beds, and leave the dishes in the dish washer with it running when we leave. Except for the dishes needing to be put away and clean sheets put on the bed and new towels hung the rooms are ready to be occupied. We do leave any unopen product we have for housekeeping to have.
Right or wrong that is how we have been doing this for 25+ years.
Bart

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
...The way I view tipping is very mixed. If someone does something extra for me I tip them and usually very well. If it is not a tip I can hand them directly I do not tip. We also clean up after ourselves and when our kids were young we even vacuumed if they made any kind of mess. We throw out the garbage, strip the beds, and leave the dishes in the dish washer with it running when we leave. Except for the dishes needing to be put away and clean sheets put on the bed and new towels hung the rooms are ready to be occupied. We do leave any unopen product we have for housekeeping to have.
Right or wrong that is how we have been doing this for 25+ years.

Bart

Bart,

You have pointed out something that has been our experience as well. When we started using TS for our vacations, the standard check out instructions for the resorts we stayed in included pretty much what you have noted in the bolded part of your quote. This plays into why I do not leave tips for maid service. I should note the historical majority of our TS stays have been at RCI and Wyndham.

Panina,

Might it be the case the majority of your TS stays have been in other systems?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Bart,

Panina,

Might it be the case the majority of your TS stays have been in other systems?

I have stayed in RCI, Wyndham and many other systems.

Doesn’t matter which system. I tip because I feel it it a hard job that is underpaid and want to show my appreciation and help a person who is probably doing this job because they do not have many other choices. It is my Individual choice to help others.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We tip in hotels. Never ever occurred to us to tip at timeshares. When I joined Facebook two years ago so I could join Worldmark and Diàmond groups, that was the first time I ever heard of it. Still don't tip at Worldmark, might tip at Diamond in Hawaii since we are there a full week and there is a refresh. I don't tip my hairdresser either. She is an independent operator and ought to be charging enough to pay her bills.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tip because I feel it it a hard job that is underpaid and want to show my appreciation and help a person who is probably doing this job because they do not have many other choices. It is my Individual choice to help others.

Yes, I respect and not criticize everybody's choice in this matter whether to tip or not. I am no longer a TS owner but this would be my issue if I were one. What are these skyrocketing MFs paying for? If the MFs are rising faster than the rate of inflation (at least it seems that way), why aren't maid staff getting raises faster than the rate of inflation?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you want to know what the "skyrocketing" maintenance fees are paying for, just read the annual report from your board. Compare to last years report to see what has gone up and by how much. It's all in there, itemized. At least in MVCI.

This discussion will help me rethink tipping somewhat.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
What are these skyrocketing MFs paying for? If the MFs are rising faster than the rate of inflation (at least it seems that way), why aren't maid staff getting raises faster than the rate of inflation?
A little off topic, but please compare your MF increases to the rate of increases for hotel rooms (including resort charges, etc.) to get a more apples to apples comparison. I think you will find that very few timeshares have "skyrocketing MFs".

Kurt

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
A little off topic, but please compare your MF increases to the rate of increases for hotel rooms (including resort charges, etc.) to get a more apples to apples comparison. I think you will find that very few timeshares have "skyrocketing MFs".

For one thing, I wasn't comparing the rising MFs to hotel room rates. Hotels never even came up in my post. I was comparing the rise in MFs to the rate of inflation. I also mentioned that we no longer own a timeshare. But when we did, the MFs rose dramatically, probably faster than my wages.

My point was that, with such increases in MFs (isn't that a big complaint from many TS owners?), why aren't the maid staff getting good enough wages that they would not have to rely on tips for a decent living? What are these MF increases paying for?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
What are these MF increases paying for?
At lots of TSs, the largest expense on the balance sheet is- yes, bigger than the salaries and wages of our beloved managers, housekeepers and gardeners, is, BAD DEBT! Deadbeat owners who default on MF, and the rest of the honorable owners have to take up the slack. These deadbeats include those who pay thousands to upfront fee outfits. It increases the cost for everyone.

Jim

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I have stayed in RCI, Wyndham and many other systems.

Doesn’t matter which system. I tip because I feel it it a hard job that is underpaid and want to show my appreciation and help a person who is probably doing this job because they do not have many other choices. It is my Individual choice to help others.

Panina,

Would your consideration to tip be altered if you experienced what is described in this thread ?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Panina,

Would your consideration to tip be altered if you experienced what is described in this thread ?

This has happened to me a few times. I immediately called management and if a trade the trade company too. There is no excuse for a dirty unit. Only once I cleaned it myself, after decided never would do it again and I haven’t.

If all is redone properly, yes I tip. Anyone could have a bad day and you never know management could pull someone from the unit for a problem in another and they do not get back. Most resorts now have management check the cleanliness of a room after it has been cleaned so it is ultimately a management problem.

When I leave the person I am tipping is cleaning my stay. I don’t focus on who didn’t do it right before.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The most recent awful dirty unit we had was at Welk at Escondido. No tip left for them. It was our 4th and final visit there. First 3 times were fine. We just cannot fathom going back there to another filthy unit. Multiple reports to the management during visit and nothing changed.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
For one thing, I wasn't comparing the rising MFs to hotel room rates. Hotels never even came up in my post. I was comparing the rise in MFs to the rate of inflation. I also mentioned that we no longer own a timeshare. But when we did, the MFs rose dramatically, probably faster than my wages.
The reason comparing to hotel rates is relevant is because timeshares and hotels have similar cost models. The rise in the maintenance fees is not based on labor costs alone -- there is insurance, taxes and many other operating costs that could all explain why maintenance fees and hotel costs increase more that inflation.

My point was that, with such increases in MFs (isn't that a big complaint from many TS owners?), why aren't the maid staff getting good enough wages that they would not have to rely on tips for a decent living? What are these MF increases paying for?
The cost of labor is driven by the labor market, and increases in the MFs aren't necessarily due to labor cost. If you think they aren't paying their staff enough, then really the only way to address this is through the HOA board.

Kurt

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
At HGVC in NYC. On day 2 requested 1 set of fresh towels and 2 water bottles.

Upon tipping a few bucks he went away brought back 6 water bottles and a pile of towels. Maybe because many TS owners do not tip, when you do tip it realy stands out.

JudiZ

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am going to digress but promise I'll get right back on track. I stayed at a nice, not terribly upscale city motel with a co-worker. At the end of the five day stay, she left $2 on the dresser. I balked and said it should be $2 a night per person. She refused so I left $20. :shrug: We went out to get the car from the valet and she tipped the valet driver $20 for his five minutes. :wall:

I do tip at timeshares. For me it's a mojo thing. $20 as a budget item on my vacation is usually pretty insignificant. To steal a thought from C.S. Lewis, I don't tip to change them, I tip to change me. It reminds me to be grateful for the vacation, the family to spend it with and a job that allows me to take one. But I don't expect it from anyone else; people should do what is right for them in this situation.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think they aren't paying their staff enough, then really the only way to address this is through the HOA board.

Actually, it was other posters here who felt that housekeeping staff were underpaid. I honestly don't know what they are paid or how far their wages would go where they live.

My point (even though we don't own TSs) is that with MFs rising so sharply, why can't there be enough in there to pay the housekeeping staff a decent wage, decent enough that they don't have to rely on tips to make a decent living? Tips are like an extra charge above and beyond the sky-high MFs. It's like the HOA saying "Yes, the maintenance fees are high. But can you add to that to pay our underpaid housekeeping staff?"

But BTW, the last few times we stayed in a TS, we rented and we did leave tips for the housekeeping staff and baggage handlers.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I tip but it's my choice. My 60 year old Auntie, who lives in Hawaii, cleans vacation rentals. She's pretty bummed if there is no tip. I can assure you she's not getting rich cleaning houses. It's really hard work. So when I leave my tip, I think of my auntie, and I think that I'm probably tipping somebody else's auntie and making their day a little bit better.

A few years ago my sister and I went to Kauai for a week. We toured a lot of timeshares while we were there, asking to see unoccupied units. At Hanalei Bay Resort, the unit wasn't cleaned, but we said no problem. It was like a bomb had exploded. Someone was clearly doing something like quilting - there were fabric scraps and threads everywhere. If I had to clean that unit I would cry. Some folks are pigs.

Last edited:

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Mexico, grocery baggers work for tips alone. No hourly pay at all. I usually tip a peso ($.05) per bag. It doesn't hurt me, and they (mostly elderly women or pre-teen girls) seem happy. Occasionally, there will only be 3-4 items in a bag. :)

Unfortunately I wasn't aware of that when we went to Cancun ~12 years ago. I still feel bad about not knowing so not tipping at the grocery store. Luckily the person we rented the timeshare from mentioned the very low wages and suggested tipping certain amount when they came in.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tip but it's my choice. My 60 year old Auntie, who lives in Hawaii, cleans vacation rentals. She's pretty bummed if there is no tip. I can assure you she's not getting rich cleaning houses. It's really hard work. So when I leave my tip, I think of my auntie, and I think that I'm probably tipping somebody else's auntie and making their day a little bit better.

A few years ago my sister and I went to Kauai for a week. We toured a lot of timeshares while we were there, asking to see unoccupied units. At Hanalei Bay Resort, the unit wasn't cleaned, but we said no problem. It was like a bomb had exploded. Someone was clearly doing something like quilting - there were fabric scraps and threads everywhere. If I had to clean that unit I would cry. Some folks are pigs.
To add insult to injury, the pigs probably do not tip. They must view housekeeping staff as servant labor.

I have witnessed on many occasions maintenance personnel entering units before housekeeping. A couple of times it was "no knock" using a pass key just before checkout time while we were still in the unit! The new linens were in front of the unit's door; it was obviously a checkout day for the unit. Am I cynical to think someone may have been skimming tips intended for someone else? My wife now hides cash tips where housekeeping is sure to find it, but it is less obvious to a casual scouter.

Carol C

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
A couple of months ago, I unknowingly tipped a millionaire. We went to a restaurant, had a good meal and a nice conversation with the server, so I added a generous tip to the bill. Two days later, DW was watching HGTV's My Lottery Dream Home and asked "isn't that our waitress?" I Googled it and found out that in 2015 she won the Minnesota's $11.7 million Hot Lotto. She still works part time at the restaurant because she enjoys meeting the people. Here's the full story: http://www.presspubs.com/st_croix/news/article_da41d134-d702-11e4-aa28-3331ba1d93bd.html

I tipped a bigtime Jeopardy winner...a NYC bartender I didnt recocognize since he had shaved his beard. But I always tip bartenders and waitstaff...so I can feel good about tipping the dude and it makes for a good story. Dang but I cant recall his name...he was very popular because he made wacky gestures that threw Trebeck off guard at first.

But back on topic...I feel good about tipping somebody that has to clean toilets and make beds at rapid pace. Yes housekeeping is often clocked by supervisors...I have seen this and since then really appreciate these workers even more.