• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tipping at Grand Luxxe NV????? Housekeeping and drivers

radley

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Grand Luxxe RM we were told at check in by the concierge that weekly envelopes would be left in our apartment to tip the housekeeping staff. They also gave us a clear idea of how much to tip.

I found that a bit surprising but also very easy. Here in NV there are no envelopes .....How much do you tip the housekeeping staff at NV?

Thanks

Radley

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
We give about the same as in RM. your concierge has envelopes if you ask; they should know at least the day maids’ names; we just checked out and got envelopes from ours with the maids’ names printed on them for tips.

No idea why they do things differently, but they’re much less overt about it in NV. Don’t forget to mention folks by name in the survey when you check out, too. It has an impact on bonuses and whether they are offered permanent jobs.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How much did they tell you to tip at RM, do you recall? We had an envelope but no suggestions. We are going to NV in October, so I'd love to know

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We give about the same as in RM. your concierge has envelopes if you ask; they should know at least the day maids’ names;

Don’t forget to mention folks by name in the survey when you check out, too. It has an impact on bonuses and whether they are offered permanent jobs.

Yes -this is VERY important for housekeeping , Joy Squad , front desk , bell staff , pool restaurant service etc - that you mention names in the survey.

At MP- PV - Marina we tip about 800 pesos / $ 45 USD week / to the daily housekeeper / usually a day or 2 before check out
We also will do 20 pesos nightly to the evening turn down housekeeper .

We also ask the housekeeper if they want any food & fridge leftovers. They have always said yes.
I generally bring a disposable fold flat cardboard cooler and / or pick up cardboard boxes at OXXO.
I will sometimes buy McCormack’s instead of Great Value / Walmart’s house brand - so we can leave
half a jar of name brand strawberry jam etc .

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Someone told us that the waitstaff earns about 1,800 pesos in salary every 15 days, so they rely pretty heavily on tips. Individual waiters get to keep 75% of what you tip, with the other 25% shared with the cooks & dishwashers. Tipping isn’t mandatory, of course, and the cost of living is significantly lower there. All in all, they probably do a bit better than folks outside of the ones that customarily are tipped, but that salary is pretty darn small.

Also, only one or two in each restaurant or bar have permanent jobs that pay year round with some vacation. The rest are on their own in the low season when some of the facilities get closed. How you treat them matters.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I was told this as well : by a bell staff member - he had a full time contract .

A few days later-
We had them store our luggage after checking out - (since we had a evening flight)
When I went to get it and gave him the ticket ; he basically had me give the tip to the younger/ part time /seasonal staff member who actually went and got our bags .

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
In Mexico, don't count on management passing through the gratuities you intend to the people who actually help make your stay more enjoyable, place the tip you intend them to have- IN THEIR HANDS. It doesn't need to be an amount you would tip in the USA, but believe me, they will appreciate it and do anything in their power to make your stay the best it can be!
I gave our daily maid the tip I was going to leave, but at the beginning of our stay instead of as checking out, and we had more towels than we could possibly use, and fresh flowers on the table every day (wife was impressed). Who knows what extra she did?

Jim

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
In Mexico, don't count on management passing through the gratuities you intend to the people who actually help make your stay more enjoyable, place the tip you intend them to have- IN THEIR HANDS. It doesn't need to be an amount you would tip in the USA, but believe me, they will appreciate it and do anything in their power to make your stay the best it can be!
I gave our daily maid the tip I was going to leave, but at the beginning of our stay instead of as checking out, and we had more towels than we could possibly use, and fresh flowers on the table every day (wife was impressed). Who knows what extra she did?

Jim
I did it slightly differently because it is not the same maid every day what we have done is leave a tip daily for the housekeeping staff, basically, the same result, tip the bellhop, tip the driver, tip the wait staff etc. and if you can, record their names and put on the survey

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
Thank you for bringing this topic up. I Have always wondered if the automatically included tip on the bill at the restaurant was fair or if I should leave extra, cash or on account? Also I would like to know the percent of how much the automatic tip is, does any one know that?

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you for bringing this topic up. I Have always wondered if the automatically included tip on the bill at the restaurant was fair or if I should leave extra, cash or on account? Also I would like to know the percent of how much the automatic tip is, does any one know that?

If there is an automatic tip or service charge, the menu or the bill should show you what the percentage is. At Grand Luxxe (Vidanta), there isn't an automatic tip included in any of the bills. What place were you asking about?

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
We have stayed as GB and GL guests, all at RM so far and all restaurant receipts state ‘tip included’ once a server at Poolside in Saturio actually pointed it out. We had already noticed but I thought it was great he did that.

Suncoast

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Vidanta Mayan Palace
365B18A2-FB28-4D70-BB25-ACD31B3026A7.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A9F94DD-0DC3-4748-9EB0-AC9DE07A90D3.jpeg
    1A9F94DD-0DC3-4748-9EB0-AC9DE07A90D3.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 112

Hineschr

Reaction score
10 percent is put on automatically

I left $10 for the day and night staff for 4 nights. That's more than i usually tip here in usa but didn't know i should have left more

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
10 percent is put on automatically

I left $10 for the day and night staff for 4 nights. That's more than i usually tip here in usa but didn't know i should have left more

That's odd; I don't remember a 10% charge for anything. What bill was that on and what was it labeled?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have stayed as GB and GL guests, all at RM so far and all restaurant receipts state ‘tip included’ once a server at Poolside in Saturio actually pointed it out. We had already noticed but I thought it was great he did that.

Yes! We were told several times at the Riviera Maya Vidanta restaurants that the tip was included, and we didn't like it at all. We didn't know what percentage was added, as it was not line itemed on the bill. It made it very difficult to determine what/if we should add something extra. We usually left something extra in cash for our servers.

rpennisi

Reaction score
Suncoast's bill shows Havana Moon and Propina Includa/ Tip Included is on the bill.
But it doesn't show the amount of the included tip, just a total.
I added up the items ordered and it came out to the same 2970 pesos with no separate item for the tip amount.
I remember having tip included in the past, but the propina amount was listed separately.
Now it seems to be built into the item cost (?) Very strange
We're going to PV, NV and RM early next year so we can check it out.

Hineschr

Reaction score
That's odd; I don't remember a 10% charge for anything. What bill was that on and what was it labeled?
It wasnt labeled i think it is a cost that is included in the food price. First night i tipped too much and he very politely explained to me that they get 10% so me tipping another 20% is too much.

I think that ammount is shared with all the staff so i wohld leave a few bucks no more than 10 usd for dinner for good service.