• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timing Southwest's Hawaii Flight Sale

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Speculation question: Does anybody know if Southwest will have a longer timeframe for booking airfare to Hawaii than they do for their Mainland flight schedule? I like to book my Hawaii airfare as far out as possible (330 days?) to maximize options. If Southwest follows their short timeframe calendar for booking Hawaii flights, that's going to require serious scheduling adjustments.

Dave

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
So excited! plus I just earned my companion fare!!! :cheer::banana::whooopie:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Speculation question: Does anybody know if Southwest will have a longer timeframe for booking airfare to Hawaii than they do for their Mainland flight schedule? I like to book my Hawaii airfare as far out as possible (330 days?) to maximize options. If Southwest follows their short timeframe calendar for booking Hawaii flights, that's going to require serious scheduling adjustments.
As of Jan 31, 2019, they are booking out through October 1, 2019. Shorter timeframe than the majors, but not exactly what I would classify as "short timeframe". Southwest is all about operational efficiency, so I can't see them adding the complexity to their booking system of having different booking windows based on location. Think about the complexity that would be created to book a connecting flight from, say, Denver, where the initial leg from Denver to California was outside the normal booking window, but the CA to HI leg is inside the window.

They didn't extend it when they started flying international, so I can't see them extending it for Hawaii.

Kurt

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As of Jan 31, 2019, they are booking out through October 1, 2019. Shorter timeframe than the majors, but not exactly what I would classify as "short timeframe". Southwest is all about operational efficiency, so I can't see them adding the complexity to their booking system of having different booking windows based on location. Think about the complexity that would be created to book a connecting flight from, say, Denver, where the initial leg from Denver to California was outside the normal booking window, but the CA to HI leg is inside the window.

They didn't extend it when they started flying international, so I can't see them extending it for Hawaii.

Kurt

Ok, thanks. Those are certainly good points. But 9 months out is still shorter than the 11 available with other carriers. I hadn’t considered the connections side of things. Flying from the West Coast direct to Hawaii for me is usually a one flight thing.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The great thing about Southwest is every seat can be FREE with points, as long as you have enough points, and we have not paid for a single seat in at least six years. I guess all of the timeshare maintenance fees are paying off. We have been known to pay for the kids' flights as well with points. The credit card is great and pays for itself each year. The fee is worth the points you get added to your account, so it's not a waste to have the card and pay each year.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
The great thing about Southwest is every seat can be FREE with points, as long as you have enough points, and we have not paid for a single seat in at least six years. I guess all of the timeshare maintenance fees are paying off. We have been known to pay for the kids' flights as well with points. The credit card is great and pays for itself each year. The fee is worth the points you get added to your account, so it's not a waste to have the card and pay each year.

And that's why I'm waiting with baited breath for our late June/early July trip...we have lots of points and companion pass for 2019. It is literally worth $5000 - $6000 to me!

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I read an article this week that Tuesday they completed the CA to Hawaii ETOPS qualifying flight and then on Weds completed a flight from Honolulu to Dallas. So they're getting very close. If they can avoid delays with any additional government shut downs they estimate they can start selling tickets as early as the end of this month and begin flights sometime in March.

Still, we decided not to wait. Flights to the islands are expensive enough I'm only willing to pay them every other year. Since we're going to Maui this year, we went ahead and made other plans for 2020 (we're not last minute planners obviously). I am anxious to see their pricing and, who knows, if they're cheap enough from our home airport, I suppose I could always cancel our current plans and we could start looking at the islands as a more frequent vacation destination.

I'm not really holding my breath on prices being so low we'll be able to think about going every year. For the most part, SWA's compares favorably with the other major players in the market but, pricing isn't always that much lower and sometimes their routing is a little chaotic for us. We prefer them for their bags-fly-free policy and we MUCH prefer their boarding process when compared to the gate-lice anxiety packed adventure on other airlines but, Hawaii flights have always been cost prohibitive from our smallish airport so every other year is more likely. The difference will be it's more likely every other year on SWA's instead of on UAL.

If we lived out west instead of in the Midwest I'm sure we'd be much more excited about SWA's entry into Hawaii.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
I read an article this week that Tuesday they completed the CA to Hawaii ETOPS qualifying flight and then on Weds completed a flight from Honolulu to Dallas. So they're getting very close. If they can avoid delays with any additional government shut downs they estimate they can start selling tickets as early as the end of this month and begin flights sometime in March.

Still, we decided not to wait. Flights to the islands are expensive enough I'm only willing to pay them every other year. Since we're going to Maui this year, we went ahead and made other plans for 2020 (we're not last minute planners obviously). I am anxious to see their pricing and, who knows, if they're cheap enough from our home airport, I suppose I could always cancel our current plans and we could start looking at the islands as a more frequent vacation destination.

I'm not really holding my breath on prices being so low we'll be able to think about going every year. For the most part, SWA's compares favorably with the other major players in the market but, pricing isn't always that much lower and sometimes their routing is a little chaotic for us. We prefer them for their bags-fly-free policy and we MUCH prefer their boarding process when compared to the gate-lice anxiety packed adventure on other airlines but, Hawaii flights have always been cost prohibitive from our smallish airport so every other year is more likely. The difference will be it's more likely every other year on SWA's instead of on UAL.

If we lived out west instead of in the Midwest I'm sure we'd be much more excited about SWA's entry into Hawaii.
We read last week that they didn't include bids for pilots on their flight bid for March so they are missing that piece. Maybe April.

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points
Will they keep 3-3 seating with no assigned seats?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Will they keep 3-3 seating with no assigned seats?

I can't imagine Southwest is going to change their business model. They didn't change it when they started serving international destinations.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.

mark201235

TUG Member
Reaction score

We have flights booked to Aruba for mid August (companion pass), and are waiting for an RCI match to an OGS. If a match doesn't happen by the time Southwest opens for Hawaii bookings, I'm gonna cancel the Aruba flights and book to Hawaii. Not a bad problem to have and one of the main reasons we fly Southwest. Easy (and free unless higher fare of course) to cancel flights and rebook.

Mark

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
https://thepointsguy.com/news/southwest-new-fees-next-year/

Southwest is probably going to offer a business class with 2-2 seating for Hawaii and other long flights. That is what the above article is about.
Just to clarify: Southwest has said nothing or done nothing to indicate they would offer a 2-2 seating or first / business class seat. This idea was just the rambling thoughts of "Helane Becker, an airline analyst", according to the article.

I wouldn't hold my breath...

Kurt

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I keep waiting for the big announcement myself, but not for me, for my daughter and her family because they have yet to take their kids to Hawaii, and this southwest announcement might just be the ticket. Get it? :) Yes, I really do crack myself up.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You get a boarding pass on this one. ;)

Dave
Yes, that's true. ;) I keep waiting for the announcement, so I am just such a nerd. I wouldn't fly SW to Hawaii with no first class, and according to Kurt (Pigsdad), there will be no such thing as business class. I shouldn't read all of those Points Guy bloviators.

TheHolleys87

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Boardwalk Villas, Kona Coast II
I’m watching eagerly too. Our son and DiL are “booked” to use one of our Kona Coast weeks in December, and they most certainly could use a reduction in airfare for their family of five!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I’m watching eagerly too. Our son and DiL are “booked” to use one of our Kona Coast weeks in December, and they most certainly could use a reduction in airfare for their family of five!
Southwest is only booking out to September at this time so your family has a bit of time.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So no announcement yesterday, on LUV day. Well, I was so sure it would be announced on 2/14.