• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshares filling up statewide

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting article from thegardenisland.com

"Timeshare properties in Hawaii averaged a 92 percent occupancy rate statewide for the first three months of 2018,....., hotel properties averaged an 82.9 percent occupancy rate for the same quarter.

Owners of Hawaii timeshare units accounted for 58.8 percent"

It begs the question, why were 8% of the units vacant.

http://www.thegardenisland.com/2018/07/07/hawaii-news/timeshares-filling-up-statewide/

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
It begs the question, why were 8% of the units vacant.
There's not enough information in the article to answer that question. Several questions/comments come to mind:

Which timeshares participated in the survey? I would imagine some resorts are never/rarely above 92% occupancy.

Were owners wanting too much for rent? Was world travel up/down for 1st 3 months of 2018?

What is the historical level of occupancy for the same timeframe? Did supply increase or did demand decrease? Some insight provided at:
http://www.hawaiifreepress.com/Arti...imeshares-Average-895-Occupancy-for-2017.aspx
"In 2017, timeshare occupancy statewide averaged 92.6 percent in the first quarter, 88.2 percent in the second quarter, 90.1 percent in the third quarter, and 87.2 percent in the fourth quarter...Timeshare properties on the island of Hawai‘i reported occupancy of 85.2 percent in 2017, a 0.2 percentage point decrease compared to 2016. The decline in the occupancy rate was impacted by an increase in supply, with Marriott’s Waikoloa Ocean Club adding 112 timeshare units in 2017. Hotel occupancy for the island of Hawai‘i averaged 74.4 percent in 2017."

I'm sure other questions will come to mind...

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
It could be some unsold units were vacant.

It could also be some leftover days not booked, its common in the Hilton system to see orphan days not booked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I suspect that developer controlled inventory that they try to rent through their retail website channels (Marriott.com, Hiltion.com) that goes unrented accounts for at least some of the 8%.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I wonder if part of it has to do with points reservations where it was not possible to perfectly match the arrivals and departures to ensure no empty rooms or no over-booked rooms.

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I suspect that developer controlled inventory that they try to rent through their retail website channels (Marriott.com, Hiltion.com) that goes unrented accounts for at least some of the 8%.

They probably have breakage with that, where they reserve a week and only rent out a few nights.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Occasionally I see bonus time available at some of the Worldmarks in Hawaii. On our last trip to Kihei we reserved Kihei Kai Nani for our second week but the room was infested with roaches. We lucked out and found bonus time at the Kihei Worldmark for the other 6 nights in a combination of 3 bed and 1 bed units. With both WM and VI you have to reserve early as possible.

Bill