• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare Purchase security

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
We are trying to buy a relatively cheap TS and have been told by the seller he will accept full payment by credit card. Is this a secure way of paying and getting the process started? If major issues arise, would I be able to dispute the charge with my credit card company? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for thoughts/comments!!

mjkkb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would say CC payments are the most secure for any purchase. The only issue is it is likely the purchasing/transferring process will take more than the 3 month CC allows to dispute the transaction. Please read the sticky info on how to go about buying (verification, contract, using escrow company etc..) and you will have a safe process.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.
I would say CC payments are the most secure for any purchase. The only issue is it is likely the purchasing/transferring process will take more than the 3 month CC allows to dispute the transaction. Please read the sticky info on how to go about buying (verification, contract, using escrow company etc..) and you will have a safe process.
The TS company has a 15 day ROFR period, so I am planning on giving the seller 45 days (15 for ROFR, 30 to prepare/file/record the deed and submit to the TS company. If after 45 days the TS company does not have the deed and transfer documentation, I am planning on turning it over to my credit card company for lack of performance. As soon as it passes ROFR I will be telling the seller he has 30 days to complete the paperwork or no deal. Any thoughts?

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Who is the seller / transfer company? Not from Tennessee?

Aurelius

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m in the payments industry. Paying with a credit card may feel more secure, but it really isn’t in this instance. The merchant (seller) wins nearly every charge back claim as long as they respond in time. Do your research on the seller and closing company. If it’s small dollars take the risk if it’s a large contract I would insist on something more secure like escrow.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We are trying to buy a relatively cheap TS and have been told by the seller he will accept full payment by credit card. Is this a secure way of paying and getting the process started? If major issues arise, would I be able to dispute the charge with my credit card company? Any pitfalls I should be aware of? Thanks in advance for thoughts/comments!!
I would not proceed unless you have trust in the company you purchased from or cheap means the amount is so little and you are ok with losing it if the deal goes bad.

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Who is the seller / transfer company? Not from Tennessee?
No, not from Tennessee. I really don’t want to say because I will get laughed out of TUG!!!

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would not proceed unless you have trust in the company you purchased from or cheap means the amount is so little and you are ok with losing it if the deal goes bad.[/
I’m in the payments industry. Paying with a credit card may feel more secure, but it really isn’t in this instance. The merchant (seller) wins nearly every charge back claim as long as they respond in time. Do your research on the seller and closing company. If it’s small dollars take the risk if it’s a large contract I would insist on something more secure like escrow.
Not a trivial amount, but not really large either. I think we will go ahead, and it case it turns bad we will see how the credit card company handles it.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
The TS company has a 15 day ROFR period, so I am planning on giving the seller 45 days (15 for ROFR, 30 to prepare/file/record the deed and submit to the TS company. If after 45 days the TS company does not have the deed and transfer documentation, I am planning on turning it over to my credit card company for lack of performance. As soon as it passes ROFR I will be telling the seller he has 30 days to complete the paperwork or no deal. Any thoughts?

If you really want this then I would advise you to tell the seller you will use your own closing company and at your expense. This way the closing company represents you (the buyer) instead of the seller.

Use a reputable closing company and you won't encounter any sketchy seller BS and won't be stretched out forever.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Use your own closing company and have funds held in escrow unless you are confident in seller (as in good tug reputation)
Anything else is just a gamble
If you decide to go ahead anyway put all time deadlines in writing in your contract to buy and then add in contract that you will receive a full refund after deadline passes
That will be useful for your credit card dispute

Bao Nguyen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Villa Del Palmar

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I like the suggestion of offering to pay for the escrow company of your choosing.
Let me tell you, the scammers are out in full force.

If I may share something that happened recently.

My family likes iPhones. We've been using them as a family for many years, upgrading every two years.
I have always sold our used phones on Ebay, and have gotten surprisingly high resale values each time.

Never had a single problem. Until this time...

We had 4 iPhone 7's that were in excellent shape, so I put them on Ebay two auctions at a time, so I wasn't competing with myself too much.
Ads clearly stated no PO box and only sales within the continental US, because I don't want to deal with foreign shipping.
Each listing got the usual "Text me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I want to buy your phone", which I always ignored.
One sold without incident.
One had a winning bidder who was later revealed to be in China, so I cancelled the sale. Offered a second-chance sale to the second-place bidder - who ALSO turned out to be in China. Total waste of a week of my time.
Ebay doesn't reveal the winning bid address until the auction is complete.
Relisted and next winner said he wanted me to ship to his family member's address, because he just moved out of his dorm.
Sounded reasonable, as isince I've asked for something to be shipped to a different address on occasion (but I wasn't trying to scam).
I googled the alternate address. What came up was dozens of scam warnings. It was a warehouse in Mass. that is used a shipping point to - you guessed it - China.
The scam works like this: They pay you right away and ask for item to be shipped to alternate address (not the address on file with Ebay). Item gets shipped (and even signed for if you want). Item is shipped to China. Shortly before time limit for filing complaint (after you have thrown away shipping receipts), the buyer opens a non-ship complaint with Paypal and Ebay or makes a complaint that the box was empty if a signature was involved. Paypal ALWAYS sides with the scammer. You have no Ebay seller protection because you did not ship to the auction address specified in auction - it's in the fine print.
This buyer had an extensive Ebay history - years of hundreds of positive reviews. Yet when you go back into the history, many are on the same day from the same three accounts. So Ebay rating is total BS.
Fortunately, I checked out the address or I would have been out an iPhone.
I cancelled the auction and sent the guy a nastygram, saying I know he is a scammer. Got no response (of course). I reported him to Ebay, but I'm certain it went into a black hole.
The only cool part of the transaction is I learned that if you void a sale on Ebay, they automatically credit money back through Paypal and all fees are removed. So that goes smoothly, if you ever wondered.
I decided to sell the remaining phones (for a LOT less) to a company that buys and sells phones, from whom I've purchased phones in the past. Very reputable.

All it takes is a couple of scammers to turn you off from something you've been doing for years.

truckinusa

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
none
I like the suggestion of offering to pay for the escrow company of your choosing.
Let me tell you, the scammers are out in full force.

If I may share something that happened recently.

My family likes iPhones. We've been using them as a family for many years, upgrading every two years.
I have always sold our used phones on Ebay, and have gotten surprisingly high resale values each time.

Never had a single problem. Until this time...

We had 4 iPhone 7's that were in excellent shape, so I put them on Ebay two auctions at a time, so I wasn't competing with myself too much.
Ads clearly stated no PO box and only sales within the continental US, because I don't want to deal with foreign shipping.
Each listing got the usual "Text me at xxx-xxx-xxxx. I want to buy your phone", which I always ignored.
One sold without incident.
One had a winning bidder who was later revealed to be in China, so I cancelled the sale. Offered a second-chance sale to the second-place bidder - who ALSO turned out to be in China. Total waste of a week of my time.
Ebay doesn't reveal the winning bid address until the auction is complete.
Relisted and next winner said he wanted me to ship to his family member's address, because he just moved out of his dorm.
Sounded reasonable, as isince I've asked for something to be shipped to a different address on occasion (but I wasn't trying to scam).
I googled the alternate address. What came up was dozens of scam warnings. It was a warehouse in Mass. that is used a shipping point to - you guessed it - China.
The scam works like this: They pay you right away and ask for item to be shipped to alternate address (not the address on file with Ebay). Item gets shipped (and even signed for if you want). Item is shipped to China. Shortly before time limit for filing complaint (after you have thrown away shipping receipts), the buyer opens a non-ship complaint with Paypal and Ebay or makes a complaint that the box was empty if a signature was involved. Paypal ALWAYS sides with the scammer. You have no Ebay seller protection because you did not ship to the auction address specified in auction - it's in the fine print.
This buyer had an extensive Ebay history - years of hundreds of positive reviews. Yet when you go back into the history, many are on the same day from the same three accounts. So Ebay rating is total BS.
Fortunately, I checked out the address or I would have been out an iPhone.
I cancelled the auction and sent the guy a nastygram, saying I know he is a scammer. Got no response (of course). I reported him to Ebay, but I'm certain it went into a black hole.
The only cool part of the transaction is I learned that if you void a sale on Ebay, they automatically credit money back through Paypal and all fees are removed. So that goes smoothly, if you ever wondered.
I decided to sell the remaining phones (for a LOT less) to a company that buys and sells phones, from whom I've purchased phones in the past. Very reputable.

All it takes is a couple of scammers to turn you off from something you've been doing for years.
If you want to avoid all that sell it to Atlas. No hassle they just pay you. Another option is swappa but kinda the same issues as eBay.