• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

timeshare occupancy exceeds hotel occupancy in hawaii!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

pianoetudes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Does it mean there are more timeshare units than hotel units, or more visitors staying at timeshare than hotel?

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
Does it mean there are more timeshare units than hotel units, or more visitors staying at timeshare than hotel?

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk
It doesn't mean either of those things. It just means there are a higher percentage of unoccupied units in hotels than in timeshares. It said there are a total of 11,233 time share units. I haven't seen any recent numbers, but past statistics showed that the state had over 50,000 hotel rooms.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It doesn't mean either of those things. It just means there are a higher percentage of unoccupied units in hotels than in timeshares. It said there are a total of 11,233 time share units. I haven't seen any recent numbers, but past statistics showed that the state had over 50,000 hotel rooms.
This isn't really out of the ordinary. Timeshare tends to always have higher occupancy levels. Perhaps because of the "prepaid" factor.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
You’d like to think that a tourist heavy economy like Hawaii would be a little more user friendly to timeshare owners and developers. I understand maintaining the integrity of the Hawaiian culture and maintaining their beautiful state by limiting how and where resorts can be built. However i feel,like they’re awfully heavy handed with their taxes on those who can’t vote and apparently visit their state more than any other group of tourist.

If not for timeshares, we likely would never have visited Hawaii let alone visited their state 5 times and every major island at least once. Maybe they should encourage rather than discourage this form of tourism...... within limits.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
You’d like to think that a tourist heavy economy like Hawaii would be a little more user friendly to timeshare owners and developers. I understand maintaining the integrity of the Hawaiian culture and maintaining their beautiful state by limiting how and where resorts can be built. However i feel,like they’re awfully heavy handed with their taxes on those who can’t vote and apparently visit their state more than any other group of tourist.

If not for timeshares, we likely would never have visited Hawaii let alone visited their state 5 times
and every major island at least once. Maybe they should encourage rather than discourage this form of tourism...... within limits.

If the timeshares are at or near capacity even with the high taxes then no reason to lower the taxes. Even when units sit empty they are usually paid for and the taxes are paid from the resort so even if an owner defaults the other owners have to make up the difference. I remember a few years back the lobbyist said that timeshare visitors spent less than hotel visitors as they ate more meals in their kitchens and generally bring less dollars into the economy. This of course dismisses the money spent on other tourist activities that timeshare visitors may spend more on since they may be spending less on accommodations and some meals.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Doug26364, thinking back over twenty-five years now your observation are correct. I now think all the timeshare resorts in Williamsburg,VA really put a dent in the hotel occupancy rate; especially all the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Hotels.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The VRBO listings for Maui alone are staggering, and some of those probably don't pay occupancy taxes to the county. I remember Maui cracked down on this about 8 years ago because very few were paying taxes, and even the ones that were professionally managed were not paying taxes. Those units also have kitchens to cook and nice living rooms to relax in.

Hotels don't appeal to me for the lack of space and comfort. Sure, the bed is comfortable, but sitting on the bed all day is not fun. I need a living room and a kitchen to get snacks. I guess that is why the county of Maui is charging me $280 per week for property taxes.

cowboy

TUG Member
Reaction score
The daily occupancy tax went from $8.24 per day on 12/31/2017 to $9.39 on 1/1/2018 on the big island. There are two things we can do, accept it, or don't come back as we cannot vote for the council members or the representatives.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The daily occupancy tax went from $8.24 per day on 12/31/2017 to $9.39 on 1/1/2018 on the big island. There are two things we can do, accept it, or don't come back as we cannot vote for the council members or the representatives.
The daily occupancy tax is directly tied to the underlying maintenance fee for the week. So as fees are increased by the HOA, so goes the occupancy tax.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
If the timeshares are at or near capacity even with the high taxes then no reason to lower the taxes. Even when units sit empty they are usually paid for and the taxes are paid from the resort so even if an owner defaults the other owners have to make up the difference. I remember a few years back the lobbyist said that timeshare visitors spent less than hotel visitors as they ate more meals in their kitchens and generally bring less dollars into the economy. This of course dismisses the money spent on other tourist activities that timeshare visitors may spend more on since they may be spending less on accommodations and some meals.

I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t think we’ve ever fixed a meal in our timeshare, unless you count the occasional bowl of cereal.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I don’t know about everyone else but I don’t think we’ve ever fixed a meal in our timeshare, unless you count the occasional bowl of cereal.

We fix quite a few meals in the units when we are in Hawaii. We usually have at least two of our children with us, and a son-in-law, and preparing food and eating it together, and talking over dinner is a bit part of our day. Family-style dinner - tough to do in a restaurant.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We normally eat Breakfast in the Condo and about 1/2 of the dinners. Lunch is almost always out but it may be a picnic we fixed in the Condo.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place

Eating meals in a timeshare unit is certainly an individual preference. However, I would have to agree that in general people who stay in timeshares spend less in restaurants and touristy activities than those who stay in Hotels. First of all I think timeshare owners return to the same location more often than Hotel people so that they participate less in touristy activities. Second, one of the main reasons that timeshare people buy and stay in timeshares is so they can avail themselves of the cost saving as well as convenience of a kitchen. I know we love being able to get up have a cup of coffee, breakfast, vitamins/medications first thing in the morning without having to get dressed, shower/wash up and travel to get our day going. We also like coming back for a quick and inexpensive lunch. Finally, saving money by having a salad and drinks in the room before walking to a nice restaurant is a great way to end a day.

jestme

Reaction score
Here's my view. The state loves it when first timers spend $32 for breakfast each at one of the large hotels. The fact those people will find Hawaii far too expensive and will never come back totally escapes them. Timeshare owners come regularly an don't fall for those prices more than once. When the economy went south, the timeshare owners still came, to nearly 100%, while the hotel vacancy rate sky rocketed.
Here is the reality, there are mostly 50-60 year old hotels, some well maintained, some not so well. They draw people because of the Hawaii "brand", but that's getting to be a stretch. It is a long flight for anyone. Other areas, with shorter travel, and no time change issues offer "all inclusive" options, newer resorts, not old hotels, at about 50-60% of what it costs to go to Hawaii. Hawaii's tourism days are numbered unless they come up with something else to compete with besides the "Hawaii" brand in the next while. I admit, I love it here, but the prices of everything have gone up over the past two years to the point of insanity. $38 plus tip for 2 draft beers, a glass of sangria, and an order of fries won't make it for us for much longer. Neither will $28 plus tax and tip each breakfasts, let alone the dinner costs. Timeshare home cooking WILL become a major selling point going forward.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
This isn't really out of the ordinary. Timeshare tends to always have higher occupancy levels. Perhaps because of the "prepaid" factor.
Yes, it is what I would expect for the reason you say. Nice information to know, but not a big news flash.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

Before kids we never cooked on vacation. Once the kids came along we started cooking most meals in the timeshare. It's just so much easier. Although we do enjoy going out for sushi, nikkumon, udon, and tempura.