• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare for Weekend Travel?

507Tuli

Reaction score
Hi, I recently went to a timeshare presentation for Holiday Inn Club in Orange Lake. Of course I got swept into it and made a purchase based on the points system explanation. I recinded after finding your website but think I am still interested in timeshare opportunity.

Here is my situation, I travel for work most of the year. My schedule has me onsite Sunday - Thursday.

I am looking for timeshare opportunities where I can just go over the weekend instead of heading back home. So pretty much Thursday/Friday - Sunday.

I can book last minute trips probably around two weeks out without a problem.

I think any of the point based systems would work but would appreciate any advice on best value for this type of travel. I live in Philly if that helps.

Thanks!

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Depends where you want to go. Skyline Tower, N.J., A number of co-located Resorts are in the Poconnos in PA. National Harbor and Old Town Alexandria for D.C. are not far away for Wyndham Club Plus.

Last edited:

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Hi, I recently went to a timeshare presentation for Holiday Inn Club in Orange Lake. Of course I got swept into it and made a purchase based on the points system explanation. I recinded after finding your website but think I am still interested in timeshare opportunity.

Here is my situation, I travel for work most of the year. My schedule has me onsite Sunday - Thursday.

I am looking for timeshare opportunities where I can just go over the weekend instead of heading back home. So pretty much Thursday/Friday - Sunday.

I think any of the point based systems would work but would appreciate any advice on best value for this type of travel. I live in Philly if that helps.

Thanks!

Unless you are looking to stay within the Holiday Inn Network (and even then I don't know how available last minute weekends would be), what you purchased is not going to work for you. The points can be used as RCI points but additional housekeeping fees bump up the cost to stay considerably. Also weekends don't stay unbooked. If you need weekends and can plan 8-10 months in advance which weekends you would need, you would find decent availability. Through RCI you are more likely to see last minute deposits of full weeks that can't be broken up into days. Points inventory that allow partial weeks stay typically are auto deposited into the system and become available to non -home resort owners at 10 months prior. Some system like DVC, Hilton, and Holiday Inn deposit later but it is not at a set time could be 3-10 months prior. The way points are reserved and canceled it is much more likely to see a tue-thurs available last minute than a fri-sun or mon.

Staying within minisystems especially ones with a lot of inventory in places you would like to stay is probably your best bet.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It has been my experience that using timeshares for lodging at the last minute doesn't work so well. Usually what's available is really dregs. Leftovers. Dogs. Even in decent resorts there are units with a view of the elevator shaft or the dumpsters that get left for emergency use only.

Nice units with decent views get booked a year or more in advance.

Maybe with Holiday Inn it's different, but I am skeptical. Sorry

Jim

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You will need to look at ts which have Sun to Sun weeks. Shawnee does have some units on that schedule; otherwise, getting a Thursday night to a Sunday morning checkout happens over 2 booking windows. Skyline Towers in A.C. does, too. Both are Wyndham resorts.

Wyndham will hit you with housekeeping credits (HKs) for short stays unless you are Gold or Platimun VIP (gotting by spending even bigger $$$ to the developer).

zcrider

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't purchase a timeshare for weekend use. Very difficult to line up the time available with where you are, and extra house keeping fees increase the cost. I would use the hotel points you collect from work and book hotel suites. Much more practical to book the location and time frame you want and also free when you collect enough points. :D
Don't get me wrong...I prefer timeshares over free hotel rooms, but for your circumstances I don't think it is a good fit.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
One of the big reasons I bought Wyndham is that most Wyndham resorts offer 3 or 4 night reservation even in prime season, but the Thursday check in will be a problem for you.. The rules often say something like this..3 or 4 night stays in prime season require a fri or sat check in or check out. Personally I like the mid week stays...Monday to Friday for the cost savings

rrlongwell

Reaction score
Are you interested in purchase or for renting for you needs? Sent you the link to the Wyndham Members Directory that lists their resorts. Feel free to contact me with any other questions. Welcome to TUG. I think that makes three of us from PA. that are currently posting.

I use weekends on a regular bases (about two times per month, on average). These are great rooms and have never overlooked the elevator or trash etc.

I would not recommend it, but Wyndham does have a discovery package that lets you use a bunch of points, I think somewhere a little over 300,000 for about 10 dollars per thosand points. The resorts you are permitted to use under this program are limited, as I understand it.

Last edited:

massvacationer

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP

I own resale Wyndham points and use them mostly for long weekends. I keep my average stay above 77K points, so I don't typically need to pay for housekeeping credits (only paid for them once in four plus years of ownership).

You live on the East Coast, so Wyndham might work for you. I recommend spending a few months researching and reading, before making a buying decision.

tch3101

Reaction score
Points System

Thanks!

Actually, you can use the points to stay a few nights or for a full week. You can also use them to stay at the Holiday Inn hotel. That is what is so great about the points system. You can pick where and when you want to stay. There are many options. If you need any more information let me know. :)

507Tuli

Reaction score
Thank You so mych for all your posts. It is great to hear about different experiences. I will definitely research more before deciding and in the meantime I will just travel using my hotel points.