• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Timeshare cancellation attorney

Jenny Ellis

Reaction score
Anyone heard of the Abrams firm for timeshare cancellations. I spoke with one the attorneys there a couple weeks ago. I am iffy to hire them because they want $5000 but I cannot find one case they have handled. And also, there is the issue of paying some stranger in washington state $5000 when I don't know who they are. They don't even have an office. Their address appears to be a mailbox place. I sent my friend who lives in Lacey to check them out. Nothing.

I am just looking for some information on them. I'll be googling them and the owner John Phillip Abrams. Maybe I'll find more info about them.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yes, I have talked to him, and I posted about it here somewhere in the last week.

It definitely was not $5000 when I talked to him.

It was $1100, and only if he got rid of it.

I see he's still got a board on another internet forum, and that was posted 7 years ago. I'll give you a link to that by PM (Conversation).

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
He seems to have a VERY LIMITED practice. That's a lot of money for something that you might be able to do yourself.

Where do you own?

Jenny Ellis

Reaction score
Yes, I have talked to him, and I posted about it here somewhere in the last week.

It definitely was not $5000 when I talked to him.

It was $1100, and only if he got rid of it.

I see he's still got a board on another internet forum, and that was posted 7 years ago. I'll give you a link to that by PM (Conversation).

I went to the website. It clearly say $5000. Since I have 2 timeshares, it'd cost me $10,000. All upfront. When you search the firm, everything say no upfront fee but once you look at the site, there is upfront for most resorts: bluegreen, wyndam, silverleaf, westgate and the list goes on. They are listed on his website. I guess you have to have a marginal resort to qualify for his no upfront fee option.

Donna86

Reaction score
I went to the website. It clearly say $5000. Since I have 2 timeshares, it'd cost me $10,000. All upfront. When you search the firm, everything say no upfront fee but once you look at the site, there is upfront for most resorts: bluegreen, wyndam, silverleaf, westgate and the list goes on. They are listed on his website. I guess you have to have a marginal resort to qualify for his no upfront fee option.

I've been debating about that firm for almost 2 years now. I have a westgate I want to get rid off. I spoke with Mr. Abrams himself. He said it would be $1500 upfront to join lawsuit. I didn't feel comfortable after speaking with so I decided to wait until I see something filed. The man talks a lot and sounds like a used car salesman. He kept trying to sell me this lawsuit. He claimed he is connected to a bunch of politicians like Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi. Apparently his father was some famous lawyer and the list goes on.

I followed up with his firm about a year later in spring of 2018 and the case still wasn't filed and the price was $3500 upfront. That made me really suspicious. Why take people's money if you aren't going to do anything for a year or more.

I went to his website a couple months ago to see if anything changed. The lawsuit against westgate was finally filed. The price however had gone up to $5000 upfront. I'm just not willing to shell out that kind of money to an attorney. I had an attorney friend looked at the complaint that was posted on their website. She pretty much said it's poorly written and their allegations make no sense. She doesn't know why they are citing California law when the case is filed in Tennessee. She thinks the case will get thrown out because it includes people from a bunch of different states who purchase in a bunch of states other than Tennessee. She basically said most of the Plaintiffs don't have standing to sue in Tennessee. She did some searches on him on a bunch of systems. There is no record of his firm filing a lawsuit against a timeshare company before the westgate case and he is not highly rated as an attorney.

Now I'm dealing with Westgate myself trying to get out.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
the funniest thing is that I think Abrams firm joined TUG as a Guest yesterday

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Attorneys have no magic words that can make a lawfully drawn contract just go away. Timeshare outfits have platoons of lawyers to draw up bullet proof contracts. Unless you can PROVE something like fraud, not just 'the sales weasel told me X', you are flushing more money down the crapper.

My usual $.02 worth.

Jim

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
I have a bluegreen and a wyndham.
Wyndham has Ovations that you can Deed back. What is the resort, MF before program fee, MF after program fee, and pts?

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
That's encouraging. Mine is paid off but i still owe a few thousand on the bluegreen.
You may be better off putting the $5K to pay off the remaining mortgage and see if you can sell the paid off TS on the TUG marketplace for 1$ and closing costs.

You may want to consider joining as the TUG membership is a LOT less than $5K.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...but I cannot find one case they have handled. And also, there is the issue of paying some stranger in washington state $5000 when I don't know who they are. They don't even have an office. Their address appears to be a mailbox place. I sent my friend who lives in Lacey to check them out. Nothing.

Those are compelling reasons right there not to deal with this company. From what you have described, what about this company makes it sound legit?

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
She doesn't know why they are citing California law when the case is filed in Tennessee. She thinks the case will get thrown out because it includes people from a bunch of different states who purchase in a bunch of states other than Tennessee. She basically said most of the Plaintiffs don't have standing to sue in Tennessee. She did some searches on him on a bunch of systems. There is no record of his firm filing a lawsuit against a timeshare company before the westgate case and he is not highly rated as an attorney.

Sounds very similar to the attorney (Steve Willett, Esq.) that attempted to insert himself into both the class action lawsuit against RCI and then into the one with Worldmark.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
the funniest thing is that I think Abrams firm joined TUG as a Guest yesterday

I noticed that immediately. In each of their posts, they have recommended consulting a local attorney, being careful not to be commercial in their posts. As I've mentioned a couple of times, they have had their own board on another forum since 2012.

I have been diplomatic regarding my lengthy phone conversation with him years ago, and things the OP and I found yesterday, and have shared with each other by conversation.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
what about this company makes it sound legit?

What I just posted, having a board on another forum and having done what they do for awhile.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's encouraging. Mine is paid off but i still owe a few thousand on the bluegreen.

Spend the $2,000 and get that loan paid off right away. Give these two timeshares away at no charge (you can post them on TUG), or go on eBay and start the bidding for $1.

When you find a taker use LTTransfers and they will handle the entire process for you, and they will be LEGALLY out of your name. Done!

Here is their website: www.LTTransfers.com

Donna86

Reaction score
Attorneys have no magic words that can make a lawfully drawn contract just go away. Timeshare outfits have platoons of lawyers to draw up bullet proof contracts. Unless you can PROVE something like fraud, not just 'the sales weasel told me X', you are flushing more money down the crapper.

My usual $.02 worth.

Jim

That' kind of my feeling after all the researched I've done. I have contacted Westgate hoping I can deed it back to them.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone heard of the Abrams firm for timeshare cancellations. I spoke with one the attorneys there a couple weeks ago. I am iffy to hire them because they want $5000 but I cannot find one case they have handled. And also, there is the issue of paying some stranger in washington state $5000 when I don't know who they are. They don't even have an office. Their address appears to be a mailbox place. I sent my friend who lives in Lacey to check them out. Nothing.

I am just looking for some information on them. I'll be googling them and the owner John Phillip Abrams. Maybe I'll find more info about them.

Don't spend $5,000 per each Timeshare for a Lawyer to get rid of these Timeshares for you.

He, very likely, will just turn around and do exactly what is recommended in Post #20.

You can do this yourself and save yourself a whole bunch of hard earned dollars. You work hard for your money, why give it away?

Jenny Ellis

Reaction score
I've been debating about that firm for almost 2 years now. I have a westgate I want to get rid off. I spoke with Mr. Abrams himself. He said it would be $1500 upfront to join lawsuit. I didn't feel comfortable after speaking with so I decided to wait until I see something filed. The man talks a lot and sounds like a used car salesman. He kept trying to sell me this lawsuit. He claimed he is connected to a bunch of politicians like Diane Feinstein and Nancy Pelosi. Apparently his father was some famous lawyer and the list goes on.

I followed up with his firm about a year later in spring of 2018 and the case still wasn't filed and the price was $3500 upfront. That made me really suspicious. Why take people's money if you aren't going to do anything for a year or more.

I went to his website a couple months ago to see if anything changed. The lawsuit against westgate was finally filed. The price however had gone up to $5000 upfront. I'm just not willing to shell out that kind of money to an attorney. I had an attorney friend looked at the complaint that was posted on their website. She pretty much said it's poorly written and their allegations make no sense. She doesn't know why they are citing California law when the case is filed in Tennessee. She thinks the case will get thrown out because it includes people from a bunch of different states who purchase in a bunch of states other than Tennessee. She basically said most of the Plaintiffs don't have standing to sue in Tennessee. She did some searches on him on a bunch of systems. There is no record of his firm filing a lawsuit against a timeshare company before the westgate case and he is not highly rated as an attorney.

Now I'm dealing with Westgate myself trying to get out.

I read somewhere you can do a deed back if it paid off.

Jenny Ellis

Reaction score
Spend the $2,000 and get that loan paid off right away. Give these two timeshares away at no charge (you can post them on TUG), or go on eBay and start the bidding for $1.

When you find a taker use LTTransfers and they will handle the entire process for you, and they will be LEGALLY out of your name. Done!

Here is their website: www.LTTransfers.com

Thanks for the info. I plan on paying off Bluegreen in the next few months.

Jenny Ellis

Reaction score
Wyndham has Ovations that you can Deed back. What is the resort, MF before program fee, MF after program fee, and pts?

Wyndham Midtown 45 New York City. I have a little over 500,000 points and my maintenance fees are just under $2500. I think my the program fee is between $300-400. I'd have to look at my last statement from them.