• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time to Start on 2017 Taxes

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Being somewhat OCD about my finances, I started in on my taxes today.

-- Downloaded a W-2 (worked 4 months) and a 1099-R (pension)
-- Totaled our Social Security payments (their 1099's are "in the mail").
-- Added a taxable IRA distribution, interest+dividends from various places.
-- Ran numbers on a rental house that I sold (more like gave) to a stepson.

Plugged it all into Tax Act, and it showed Refund of... $8.00. :thumbup:
Sure, that may change a bit, but I've never nailed it so close at this point.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm really eager to pull in my numbers because I prepaid my 2018 property taxes and want to see what kind of impact that has but I don't have all my numbers yet.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I wish I had everything I needed. If I did they would have been done yesterday. Just like to be over with it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We had no earned income but had some amount of ex-business legal expenses that we get to claim. Awaiting our financial statements that are supposed to be posted by Feb 1. We will do our taxes then. We still use a CPA but we are thinking of doing a parallel run this year on Turbo Tax to see if we come up with the same number. If we do then we will start doing our own taxes starting with 2018 returns.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wish I had the numbers to get started, having that darn knee replacement Thursday and hear I won't feel like doing anything for weeks.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I don't receive everything until March. Mainly our brokerage statement holds everything up. I usually start them though. Now that Tax Act has gone up in price, I might try Turbo Tax through my T Rowe Price account which is free for clients and everything I have there downloads into it.

The only thing is last time I tried using Turbo Tax I hated it. Found it confusing and annoying. Plus I am not sure how to carry over my capital losses, which Tax Act does for me automatically year to year since I initially entered them on the program. Not sure how to get that onto Turbo Tax.

I also will do my son's as soon as he gets his forms over to me- which is oh so easy since he has no state taxes to file being he lives in a no tax state, and he does not own a home or have anything to deduct. Just his W-2's and the bank interest and the standard deduction on the simple 1040 form.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We had no earned income but had some amount of ex-business legal expenses that we get to claim. Awaiting our financial statements that are supposed to be posted by Feb 1. We will do our taxes then. We still use a CPA but we are thinking of doing a parallel run this year on Turbo Tax to see if we come up with the same number. If we do then we will start doing our own taxes starting with 2018 returns.

If you have fairly simple taxes you will save a bundle doing them yourself. Essentially your CPA uses a program and just types in the numbers you give him/her. Turbo Tax or Tax Act simply ask you the same questions and YOU do the typing.

This is not to say there isn't some benefit to using a CPA in certain cases. But you are smarter than you think!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't receive everything until March. Mainly our brokerage statement holds everything up. I usually start them though. Now that Tax Act has gone up in price, I might try Turbo Tax through my T Rowe Price account which is free for clients and everything I have there downloads into it.

The only thing is last time I tried using Turbo Tax I hated it. Found it confusing and annoying. Plus I am not sure how to carry over my capital losses, which Tax Act does for me automatically year to year since I initially entered them on the program. Not sure how to get that onto Turbo Tax.

I also will do my son's as soon as he gets his forms over to me- which is oh so easy since he has no state taxes to file being he lives in a no tax state, and he does not own a home or have anything to deduct. Just his W-2's and the bank interest and the standard deduction on the simple 1040 form.

I had my son use our CPA when he first started working. After the 2nd year, he wanted to do it himself. He refused any help as he said "I got to learn how to do my own taxes." Now we have to learn how to do our own taxes.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I find Turbotax really easy to use and we have K1s and my TS rental income and those write-offs and it answers all my questions for me. I bet a CPA would charge me $250-$400 for my whole family and I do it was $99 I believe.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
...big refund, its time for me to stop making estimated payments.

Yeah, don't want to loan IRS too much of your $$, interest-free.
I'm using extra withholding options for my pension to cover it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have a one-time capital gains that come in middle of the year, are you supposed to pre-pay the capital gains tax during the year or can you wait until you file at the end of the year? If you wait until when you file your taxes, is there penalty for not pre-paying the estimated capital gains tax during the year?

Panina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I find Turbotax really easy to use and we have K1s and my TS rental income and those write-offs and it answers all my questions for me. I bet a CPA would charge me $250-$400 for my whole family and I do it was $99 I believe.
Most CPA’s charge more, at least that is what I’ve experienced.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
If you have a one-time capital gains that come in middle of the year, are you supposed to pre-pay the capital gains tax during the year or can you wait until you file at the end of the year? If you wait until when you file your taxes, is there penalty for not pre-paying the estimated capital gains tax during the year?

I trust that someone more knowledgeable than I will reply shortly, but here's my 2-bit understanding:

With a mid-year gain, you're 'sposed to pay the add'l tax at the next quarterly estimated tax due date. However, a penalty can be avoided if (1) your return shows an underpayment of LT $1,000, or (2) you prepaid at least 90% of the tax due for the year, or (3) you prepaid at least 100% (110% in some cases) of the tax due for for the prior year. There's a worksheet/form for this.

The tax prep software/websites that I've used - TurboTax & Tax Act - determined this for me.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Although I owe the IRS (sometimes a lot) every year when I file I have never screwed around with Quarterly payments. I think only once in the last 20 years or so have I ever been assessed a penalty and it wasn't all that much. It was simple. The IRS computer generated a bill; I paid it; and it was done.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
As long as you have sent in as much as previous year, no penalty?
I still remember hiring a cpa for one item for my mother in law return and she charged $650. That was in the year 2000. Because you can import your information from most brokerages, it is pretty easy to use turbo tax or tax act.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay

I have used TurboTax since before it even became TurboTax (Parsons Technology - Personal Tax Edge was the original Intuit tax program). It works for us and we have done vacation rentals and now have sold that and retired, so have IRA, SS, and Retirement/Pension Plans to deal with. It has been doing the carry-over Capital Losses for me automatically each year since I have history with that. I think we have 2 more years from the huge loss years ago.

I wrote one best guess check to pay in April for 2017, that was for the same as we had with-held in 2016 and it looks like we are within $25 of what this year's amount will be. I do not have the final numbers from everyone, but looked at everything that I have receipts and statements for, so am pretty close.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have used TurboTax since before it even became TurboTax (Parsons Technology - Personal Tax Edge was the original Intuit tax program). It works for us and we have done vacation rentals and now have sold that and retired, so have IRA, SS, and Retirement/Pension Plans to deal with. It has been doing the carry-over Capital Losses for me automatically each year since I have history with that. I think we have 2 more years from the huge loss years ago.

I wrote one best guess check to pay in April for 2017, that was for the same as we had with-held in 2016 and it looks like we are within $25 of what this year's amount will be. I do not have the final numbers from everyone, but looked at everything that I have receipts and statements for, so am pretty close.

I tried Turbo Tax twice and didn't find it as user friendly as Tax Act. It seemed quirky and asked some weird questions and wouldn't let me go further at times.

But my concern is how to get the carry over losses started in Turbo Tax from where Tax Act left off.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I trust that someone more knowledgeable than I will reply shortly, but here's my 2-bit understanding:

With a mid-year gain, you're 'sposed to pay the add'l tax at the next quarterly estimated tax due date. However, a penalty can be avoided if (1) your return shows an underpayment of LT $1,000, or (2) you prepaid at least 90% of the tax due for the year, or (3) you prepaid at least 100% (110% in some cases) of the tax due for for the prior year. There's a worksheet/form for this.

The tax prep software/websites that I've used - TurboTax & Tax Act - determined this for me.

Thank you. I believe we pay no taxes for 2017 returns but we will have various income in 2018, including the said capital gains in May. If under rule (3), then there is no penalty if we do not pre-pay the capital gains...??? We will make sure there is tax withholding for Social Security and Minimum Required Distribution as there is a way to specify how much we withhold. It is the capital gains that is tricky. Regardless, we will ask our CPA.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Spot on.

Note that CA threshold in number 1 is $500. Your state may vary, if you have a State income tax.

As Bogey says, its sometimes easier to pay the late penalty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can almost guarantee you will not come up with the same numbers as your CPA but that does not mean either of you are correct or wrong. Money Magazine used to give the same information to 20 tax so called experts and no two came up with the same numbers and there was wide disparity. We have done our own for about 20 plus years now and it takes no more time and we can make decisions in grey areas that lessen our taxes. If you have never been audited you are not taking enough. Our only audit was about 40 years ago and we did well.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I believe we pay no taxes for 2017 returns but we will have various income in 2018, including the said capital gains in May. If under rule (3), then there is no penalty if we do not pre-pay the capital gains...??? We will make sure there is tax withholding for Social Security and Minimum Required Distribution as there is a way to specify how much we withhold. It is the capital gains that is tricky. Regardless, we will ask our CPA.
My broker told me the IRS does not know when the taxes were sent in from am Mrd, so I use my mrds to send in the balance of my taxes late in December after I see what kind of capital gain distributions mutual funds claim. I have never sent extra money after big capital gains.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My broker told me the IRS does not know when the taxes were sent in from am Mrd, so I use my mrds to send in the balance of my taxes late in December after I see what kind of capital gain distributions mutual funds claim. I have never sent extra money after big capital gains.
Thank you. So does it mean that you only make MRD withdrawals in Dec and ask for what tax withholding amount depending on what you believe the taxes were owed? Would that then include realized capital gains tax?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you. So does it mean that you only make MRD withdrawals in Dec and ask for what tax withholding amount depending on what you believe the taxes were owed? Would that then include realized capital gains tax?
Yes, if I had a big gain, I would send in extra, but as long as I sent in what I owed the year before I was fine. One year I owed forty thousand, but never heard from them.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, if I had a big gain, I would send in extra, but as long as I sent in what I owed the year before I was fine. One year I owed forty thousand, but never heard from them.
If we pay no taxes for 2017 returns, does it mean we do not need to prepay tax for 2018 even though there will be quite a bit of taxes, under rule (3)?