• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Time Share Questions; to buy or not to buy?

AnnieCt

Reaction score
We are in Hawaii and of course I was more than happy to accept a $300 room credit to attend a timeshare presentation at the Marriott. The "new product"? "Destination points". We attended for two reasons; for the incentive of course, but also to learn something about a "more flexible program" that reminded me of Disney's points program. We are NEVER one to buy anything without researching the product, and this certainly qualifies as something that needs researching. The sales person could not answer a couple of specific questions;
1. Do previous owners have access to points with flexible spending/trading in the same way new purchasers do? If he answered it, it wasn't clear.
2. Why would anyone pay a developer full price if someone is selling the product on the secondary market? He answered that by saying that Marriott has been rebuying properties (points) and voiding sales by exercising their first right of refusal. If that is the case, no one should ever be trying to sell their time shares on a secondary market because Marriott would be snapping them up.
3. Would a Marriott timeshare in Florida have the same "value" as in Maui?
Why not buy a less expensive property if they can be exchanged with such ease as the salesman indicates.
4. Why buy at all if there are properties that can be rented for a bit more than the annual fees and taxes?
At some time I think we might want to buy a time share but choosing which one and how to buy it is something that we are going to have to analyze.
We do receive military discounts at many hotels and are eligible to stay at Military Recreational Centers, so we would have to realize a substantial savings to make timesharing attractive.

I hope that I am not sounding negative in these questions. They are legitimate concerns that I would rather ask well before a purchase than after. thank you.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Annie, welcome to TUG. You're in the right place to ask your questions. Keep reading, and don't worry about sounding negative. Just the fact that you're interested in learning before buying is a credit to your common sense.

I'll let other address the issues about Marriott, and how to make the most of their ownerships.

I will say that for now, rent - don't buy. That way you can learn about different timeshare systems without committing to a long term ownership. It is MUCH easier to get into a timeshare than it is to get out of one, and if you're not completely sure about what the right way is to go for you and your family, rent. You can enjoy the same kind of vacations owners enjoy, and when your time is up, you walk away with no other obligation.

After you've researched the various systems that appeal to you, consider buying something you like -- always resale, and never, ever buy retail from the developer. Think about it: Even if the timeshare is brand new when you purchase, by the time you get there to use your time, someone else has already slept in that bed. There is no difference between new or used in timesharing, but there can be a huge difference in how much you pay to get that time in that resort.

Be patient, educate yourself, and make smart decisions. You won't regret taking time to learn what's going on.

Good luck!

Dave

Last edited:

AnnieCt

Reaction score
Another question if I may. One selling feature the salesperson pushed; starting your vacation any day of the week vs. a Saturday. Is this exclusive to Marriott or are other time shares going in this direction. Of course that would be a surmountable "problem" if one is working around affordable airfare. Stay in a hotel before or after if necessary.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Most weeks-based timeshares check in Friday, Saturday, or Sunday. Points-based timeshares can offer more flexibility, since you can stay for fewer days. So check-in days will vary, depending on where you stay. Marriott does not have an exclusive on checking-in other than on Saturday, regardless of how the timeshare is scheduled.

Dave

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
One selling feature the salesperson pushed....

Any feature that a timeshare salesperson pushes is either an exaggeration, an embellishment, skewing of the facts, omission of important facts, or an outright lie and never worth the thousands extra you will pay over buying resale.

Reaction score
My wife and I own WYNDHAM points, and we can check in and out whenever. But, during high priority weeks, most (Wyndham) resorts restrict check-in and amount of days.

TS