• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Sands of Kahana Resort Good or Bad?

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Maui is known for having few good RCI resorts with available weeks. However, The Sands of Kahana Resort has lots of availability both for exchanges and Extra Vacations. It is a Gold Crown with a pretty high 4.3 rating in RCI and a 7.29 pretty low rating in TUG. The ratings in both rating systems seem to be either very good or very bad! There are not a lot of average type rating of 4 in RCI or 7 in TUG. What are your thoughts about this resort?

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
Maui is known for having few good RCI resorts with available weeks. However, The Sands of Kahana Resort has lots of availability both for exchanges and Extra Vacations. It is a Gold Crown with a pretty high 4.3 rating in RCI and a 7.29 pretty low rating in TUG. The ratings in both rating systems seem to be either very good or very bad! There are not a lot of average type rating of 4 in RCI or 7 in TUG. What are your thoughts about this resort?
We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit and my kids preferred it over the Westin in Maui. I really love this resort and I will stay there again the next time I’m in Maui. The only negative is they have no A/C and 5 of our 7 nights were very hot and no wind was blowing and we had every door wall open.

KandyApple

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there last January with our son and his family. Pros. The 3 bedroom unit was huge. Lots of room for everyone. Kitchen is well stocked and furnishings were adequate. The kiddies pool was great for our grandson. We didn't spend much time at the adults pool but when we did it was ok. We did see whales in the distance from the shore in front of the resort. The sports shop rents out beach chairs and umbrellas and will usually negotiate on price if you try. Great pizza place across the street. Cons. When we stayed there what little beach there was disappeared because of the winter storms. It wasn't really possible to walk down the beach because of the coral rocks. It isn't really swimable in front of the resort but we just packed up and spent our days at the beaches in Lahaina and Kaanapali. It is an older resort and is showing it wear. Be cautious if you use the BBQs they can blow up in your face.
I would stay there again, but only if there weren't any other options.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I never stayed there but I stayed at Valley Isle next door. Our unit did not have a/c either and it was hot in the afternoon and early evening. Being on the west side of the island and no a/c made the lanai pretty much unusable except early in the morning. We only stayed a week there so no a/c was tolerable. We were at the Maui Schooner in Kehei the week before with a/c.

We really liked the Beach though, it was nice while we were there. Dollies pizza across the street really is great. We always say it's the best pizza we've had in all of Hawaii.

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there over Xmas break 2012. Got a HUGE 2 BR unit and had a great time. Yes, there is no AC but we didn't need it. Check out my review in The Marketplace. Would stay there again if back on Maui.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Sands of Kahana is gorgeous, and the beach is very nice, especially to the north side of the resort. We love SOK but we couldn't see paying the fees every year and sold our 2 bedroom unit a while back. Owners get Ocean view every-other-year as annual owners. The problem with that is that exchangers are much more likely to get ocean views, which is not at all fair. It's a bit of an issue for owners. We were not the only ones unhappy with our sorry view.

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Sorry, wrong thread.