• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Residences New York - Initial Impressions

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just booked for a night at the Residences during Open Season in August. Have not stayed there yet but have stayed at 57th Street many times. The real benefit for me is that the $89.00 short stay cleaning fee (stays of 3 days or less) does not seem to apply at the Residences. Only had to pay the $69.00 Open Season fee.

Am I correct about this?

Wonder why the fee would apply at one location in NYC but not the other.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently the following properties are included in by Hilton Club:

• West 57th Street
  • The Residences
  • The District
  • Liberty Place Charleston (in development)
  • The Bay Forest Odawara (Japan)
I divested my TimeShares a number of years ago (age and health) but if I were still in the game. I'd seriously consider the Hilton Club...

George

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
I just booked for a night at the Residences during Open Season in August. Have not stayed there yet but have stayed at 57th Street many times. The real benefit for me is that the $89.00 short stay cleaning fee (stays of 3 days or less) does not seem to apply at the Residences. Only had to pay the $69.00 Open Season fee.

Am I correct about this?

Wonder why the fee would apply at one location in NYC but not the other.

You are correct about housekeeping. The Residences is intended to be upscale and the MF and point requirements reflect that. Part of that structure is daily housekeeping and the ability for people to book limited nights with no extra fees.

For example, smallest one bedroom is one bedroom premier which is 12,600 points a week for high season. MF (without club fee) are around $2900 for 2018. Smallest (by points - not size) one bedroom at W 57th St is 7200 points per week. You can own a studio premier for that number of points and pay around $1450 in MF (without club fee).

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are correct about housekeeping. The Residences is intended to be upscale and the MF and point requirements reflect that. Part of that structure is daily housekeeping and the ability for people to book limited nights with no extra fees.

For example, smallest one bedroom is one bedroom premier which is 12,600 points a week for high season. MF (without club fee) are around $2900 for 2018. Smallest (by points - not size) one bedroom at W 57th St is 7200 points per week. You can own a studio premier for that number of points and pay around $1450 in MF (without club fee).

MF and pointwise I much prefer the west57 over the residence. Agree the residence is newer but the lack of lower point units and much higer MF is a turn down for me. I could ofc just buy the 16.800 points unit and have a much better ratio points/MF but that buyin is HUGE

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@JohnPaul now that you have stayed at both the Residences and W57 which do you prefer?

phil1ben

TUG Member
Reaction score

Interesting point. I recently booked a single weekday night at both 57th Street and the Residences. A Studio Premier for this single night was 510 points at 57th Street and 720 points at the Residences. I own at Miami/South Beach which has high maintenance fees ($1700/year[all in]for 7000 points Platinum). Even so the additional 210 points works out to $51.00/night which is less than the $89.00 cleaning fee. The $51.00 would be lower if I owned at a lower maintenance fee property.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting point. I recently booked a single weekday night at both 57th Street and the Residences. A Studio Premier for this single night was 510 points at 57th Street and 720 points at the Residences. I own at Miami/South Beach which has high maintenance fees ($1700/year[all in]for 7000 points Platinum). Even so the additional 210 points works out to $51.00/night which is less than the $89.00 cleaning fee. The $51.00 would be lower if I owned at a lower maintenance fee property.

I agree that for non owners it’s a better deal to pay more points but no fee. BUT If you stay 3 nights then the difference in you case would be 630 points and $153 and then it’s actually a worse deal. If you stay more than 3 nights then the deal gets even worse as you would not need to pay any additional fees at west57.

The owners of the residence is the ones who pay more in mf to get daily housekeeping etc.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
...BUT If you stay 3 nights then the difference in you case would be 630 points and $153 and then it’s actually a worse deal. If you stay more than 3 nights then the deal gets even worse as you would not need to pay any additional fees at west57.

The owners of the residence is the ones who pay more in mf to get daily housekeeping etc.

FWIW...I believe you are comparing with Studio Plus units (there are many at W57) which don't exist at Residences. The points values for the Studio Premiers are the same at both properties, however an exchanger would have a hard time securing a Studio Premier at W57 for more than 1 night because there are so few; they are coveted for low points for a higher floor with potential balcony unit. :))

IMHO, for Manhattan, W57 is the "Lagoon Tower" of the NYC properties. Lower points values because you can get a Studio Plus vs. Studio Premier + lowest maintenance fees in Manhattan (approx $1460).

For owning: akin to the 7000 point Vegas units which offer the biggest bang for the buck in regular HGVC, for By Hilton Club the W57 Studio Plus Plat (5250 point)/Studio Premier Gold (5100) resale units are the most economical way to gain access to NYC:
  • via resort reservation period for event weeks (e.g. New Years, Thanksgiving)
  • easy access to penthouse/premium/1 bedroom units on a studio MF
  • shorter notice reservations e.g. don't have to be online at midnight at nine months to make a reservation (9 Mos to 45 days)
  • owners Lounge
  • by Hilton Club privileges e.g. AI "free" reservations to stretch your points which are only available to 32k HGVC Elites. Open Season.
  • Single night reservations. RCI exchange requires a week.

I predict the Quinn will be more expensive and consistent points and cost-wise with the newer HGVC units such as Residences, GI, Towers.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
@JohnPaul now that you have stayed at both the Residences and W57 which do you prefer?

We just came back for two nights in a one bedroom penthouse and I wanted to wait to see that before commenting.

The penthouse has different decor and layout from the one bedroom premier and various goodies like a heated floor in the bathroom and electronic shades. I'll do a follow up review.

I'd have to say that the experience in both properties is great but different.

The Residences Pluses

- Daily housekeeping.
- No fee for stays under 4 days.
- Smaller boutique feel.
- Limited elevator need within the resort itself (vs getting up to the resort). Most everything on 44 with dedicated elevator to 45 and 46.
- Restaurants and bars in the same building.
- Hugh TVs (65 inch)
- Views from the owners lounge.
- Views from some units (most seem to look at other buildings)

The Residences Minuses

- High MF and point costs.
- Nickle and dining for hotel services such as business center, bag check and package delivery (because they use the hotel itself).
- Main lobby is a madhouse of people everywhere.
- Competition for fewer units (non-owners as proportion of owners to units is the same)

W 57th St Pluses

- Wonderful lounge with outside space and amazing staff.
- Floor to ceiling windows (only penthouses at The Residences)
- Staff that make you feel at home starting with the doorman (staff at Residences great but you don't see them until the 44th floor)
- Great deal on the standard one bedroom units.
- Various units with balconies.
- Ability to see Manhattan while bathing in some units.
- No need to fight crowds in the lobby.
- Limited street noises in back side units. (They float up to 44th floor at The Residences)

W 57th St Minuses

- Towel exchange and garbage removal but no daily maid service.
- $85 fee on stays of 3 days or less.
- "Only" 55 inch TV's

We spent the 5 days in between our two stays here at The Residences at the Element by Westin hotel in the garment district using hotel points. "Reasonable" hotel in Manhattan as about $250 a night including taxes. Boy did we miss our timeshare experience. Very happy to be back.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Thanks @JohnPaul for your thoughtful comparison.

How did the lounge food compare? I noticed in the District that the lounge fare was pretty much the same as W57.

I'm surprised the Residences don't have a better view give they are on the 44th floor vs. 24 floors tops for West 57?

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd say the lounge food is better at W 57th. Nothing hot at breakfast but they have meat and cheese (ala Europe). Oatmeal is instant. Nice hot snacks (that other word is too hard to spell) in the evening. They have a wine dispenser which is a silly perk as they aren't super great wines that need preserving and they go through the wine so fast they are constantly changing bottles and the bottles aren't going bad. Good fruit in both morning and evening.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd say the lounge food is better at W 57th. Nothing hot at breakfast but they have meat and cheese (ala Europe). Oatmeal is instant. Nice hot snacks (that other word is too hard to spell) in the evening. They have a wine dispenser which is a silly perk as they aren't super great wines that need preserving and they go through the wine so fast they are constantly changing bottles and the bottles aren't going bad. Good fruit in both morning and evening.

I only thought you owned at NYHC and west57 but you got access to the Residence lounge too?

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We don't own at NYHC. We briefly owned at The Residences. When we bought back to W 57th St they said it wouldn't impact existing reservations so we get lounge access for the reservations we got while we were owners.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I wish By Hilton Club would give reciprocal lounge access to owners at all By Hilton Club properties. I am hesitant to try Residences even with the lower housekeeping fee because we get owners lounge access at W57. This would make By Hilton more like a "club" rather than access to a specific property.

BTW...you don't need the lounge at the District because you get a hot breakfast downstairs at the Embassy Suites. Although I imagine that the evening appetizers would be better than the chips and pretzels downstairs.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's interesting how people view things differently. While I'd rather not pay the $85 short-stay fee at W. 57th, I consider the lack of daily housekeeping a plus, and having any housekeeping at all a minus. Of course, a permanent DND (or LUFTA, as we call it :)) sign takes care of tjhat.

Cheers.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
How was the street noise/construction across the street noise at W57? I'll be at W57 next month and am wondering if I should ask for a room facing north.

Cyberc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We don't own at NYHC. We briefly owned at The Residences. When we bought back to W 57th St they said it wouldn't impact existing reservations so we get lounge access for the reservations we got while we were owners.

Aarh sorry for the mistake.

How was the lounge at the residence compared to NYHC(if you have stayed there in the past)?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
How was the street noise/construction across the street noise at W57? I'll be at W57 next month and am wondering if I should ask for a room facing north.

When we were there in April, the bulk of the construction was happening to the north (across 57th st.). Even when things were going, it was not all that noisy, Of course, we were there primarily on the weekend when they were not active. Weekdays may be more active.

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Do the Residences have a laundry room? My one complaint about W57 is that there is no laundry. (I don't think in-room would be practical.) I have requested to management that the HOA consider adding a laundry room for those of us that come from long distances and like to pack light. :)

BTW...we used Jay's Cleaners wash and fold around the corner where it can be dropped of and paid by the pound (min $14). But it would be nice to have easy access to machines in the building for smaller loads.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/J...18-08-19!8m2!3d40.7641501!4d-73.9774697?hl=en

The Embassy Suites hotel at the District had coin-op machines on the 4th floor we could access.

Last edited:

JohnPaul

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Both my reviews of the one bedroom premier and the one bedroom penthouse are now posted on the review side.