• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The power of positive thinking?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
It is so nice to read this thread. This thread is motivating and inspirational. Tuggers should post more about the positives of owning timeshares. This would certainly help the combat all the negativity of the public perception about timeshares. I agree with everything that people have posted here. While I may get frustrated sometimes with the details and rules of timeshares, overall, I am really happy with what I own. The scary part is the timeshare addiction. My DH does not understand this part. LOL :rolleyes:

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Saw a guy with a hat on today which read....

Attitude and Grattitude are Everything

I thought that certainly was applicable to this thread.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Saw a guy with a hat on today which read....

Attitude and Grattitude are Everything

I thought that certainly was applicable to this thread.
That is a very good inspirational saying I have not heard before. I love it!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
We extended the "power of positive thinking" into "Triple P" -- the power of positive parking, many years ago. When we leave for a particular area of town with tough parking, we send out positive vibes as we leave our home and then again and again as we get closer. Amazing how often someone has held a spot for us and pulls out just as we approach! From back in the early days of our careers when we had Zig Ziglar and Brian Tracy tapes on in the car with us constantly, we know "stinkin' thinkin'" gets us nowhere fast.

I have very good parking karma too. For some reason there is always a great parking spot for me when I need it. I also have really good timeshare karma.

I need to work on my airline karma. I seem to get the flights I need using miles and companion tickets but it has been the flight delays that have made air travel a bummer the last couple of years. If anyone has a way to fix this please let me know. I do keep a positive attitude but I am not surprised anymore when my flights are goofed up because of weather, maintenance, and lately, passenger problems. I wish I could drive to Maui.

Bill

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
May I add a word on Persistence?

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

The foundation for this is Positive Thinking...

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
So the resort I was at last week had Bingo. My other half was doing well, won twice while I hardly got any numbers. He said too bad you aren’t getting any numbers. I said don’t worry I am saving my energy (positive thinking) to win the last game thinking it would have the best prize. I won the last game but to my surprise there was no grand prize, same as winning any other game. Still had lots of fun.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have very good parking karma too. For some reason there is always a great parking spot for me when I need it. I also have really good timeshare karma.

I need to work on my airline karma. I seem to get the flights I need using miles and companion tickets but it has been the flight delays that have made air travel a bummer the last couple of years. If anyone has a way to fix this please let me know. I do keep a positive attitude but I am not surprised anymore when my flights are goofed up because of weather, maintenance, and lately, passenger problems. I wish I could drive to Maui.

Bill

One idea comes to mind, be sure you are boooking non stop direct flights as often as possible, even if you have to drive further and use your parking karma PPP!

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
I’ve always appreciated your threads, Greg, and this one, along with the one you’ve referenced, rings so true. I remember a dozen years ago, give or take, when there were multiple threads debating whether or not timeshares were a worthwhile investment. Then, as now, there’s more important things in life than money, and for us, at least, the investment in family time and quality of life have been priceless.

We bought our first unit in ‘06, resale with the help of fellow Tuggers, esp appreciating Dave M’s sage advice. We enjoyed a 3 generation trip that first winter, while we were fortunate enough to have both my parents. My oarents’ 60th was the following Thanksgiving weekend, and we planned another family trip for the beginning of January over our younger daughter’s intercession. Anyway, because of our ownership we took advantage of being able to get a getaway in Cancun two weeks before my patents’ anniversary and booked an extra trip. Sadly, we lost my Dad the following month, and we never made it to the planned family celebration, but because of our ownership we took that extra trip and the memories are priceless. So, while it sounds corny perhaps, for us it’s truly been an investment, even if not in the financial sense.

Continuing the trip down memory lane....we didn’t discover timeshares until our daughters were in their twenties. We traveled extensively, usually 3 generations, cramped into hotel rooms or cruise cabins. It is such a pleasure having the space, especially with grandkids! My 4 1/2 year old grandson has been to Aruba every summer since he was 3 1/2 months and he and his older brother can’t wait to return. The other day he asked me about his great grandmother, and what a joy it was to share stories and pictures of her holding him on the beach on what was his first trip, and sadly her last.

Ownership has afforded us the ability to take trips with family, take extra relatively inexpensive vacations either through a Getaway or II trade, and invite friends. As our family has grown having prepaid spacious accommodations, with a kitchen for breakfasts and lunches, is even more valuable when the number of plane tickets hits the double digits. And while my MF on my 3BR unit is ~2500, it sure beats renting 3 hotel rooms in a beachfront property for the week.

So my Marriott ownership has afforded us with wonderful memories with family and friends, and I’m indebted to many of the people on this site who have helped me maximize our usage over the tears❣️

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
May I add a word on Persistence?

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent."

The foundation for this is Positive Thinking...

I've had a plaque on my office wall with this saying for 30 years!

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
If positivity is the topic of this post then I must add my most recent positive timeshare story. We found amazing prices on airline tickets for my family of four to San Diego a few weeks ago. Even though we had just spent the entire month of Dec. in California in some AMAZING timeshare’s (Marriott Newport Coast, Fishermans Wharf, and Grand Pacific Palisades) first two on trade using my EXTREMELY low MF’s units, we could not pass up the flight tickets being so low. I didn’t have a unit reserved so I was going by faith and a positive attitude. I searched for those few weeks and could not find anything.

I booked a night at the Hilton with a gift certificate that I had and the second night at a brand new Holiday Inn both of which were very nice. On the way to the airport I did one last search on Interval for last minute availability. To my amazement something on the Pacific coast popped up and you will never believe, when I clicked on it, it was a week at the Four Seasons Aviara! This was exactly what I needed on the dates that we needed! I stayed positive the entire time because I knew The Lord would bless me with something and He did! We are thrilled to be here and the resort is absolutely stunning. Never lose faith when it comes to timeshares. Stay positive and you will be able to create many beautiful memories and have very nice relaxing vacations. (Huge bonus, All trades in this story were with MF’s way under those traded into)

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Know who you are. If one system doesn't fit you needs well, look around. There may be another system that fits you perfectly. When you find it, don't be afraid to "swap around".

Having a timeshare can be a nice experience, having the perfect fit turns it into a wonderful experience.

I found my perfect fit in the Hilton system. I'm as happy as 3 clams. . . Others find it in Marriott, or other systems. Always look around. . .