• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The Grand Mayan Riviera Maya ..Whats the deal with this resort?

elleny76

Reaction score
I have been trying to book this resort on season - off season..even I asked give me any week available any time any month and the answer is always..NONE available? this is being for 1 year already.

Has anyone ever booked this property? ( not the Luxxe property). Advices?

Thanks

blr666

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to book this resort on season - off season..even I asked give me any week available any time any month and the answer is always..NONE available? this is being for 1 year already.

Has anyone ever booked this property? ( not the Luxxe property). Advices?

Thanks
I just looked and saw plenty of availability in II in different room sizes. I have also booked this property before through SFX.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I just looked and saw plenty of availability in II in different room sizes. I have also booked this property before through SFX.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
I think the question is surrounding using HGVC points to book? I think Hilton has a special affiliation arrangement for owners to be able to use points to book in to the Grand Mayan?

ALways lots of availability in II. Usually also a lot of II Getaways. I think it would perhaps be easier to find a "friend" that has an II account to book a getaway. Usually very cheap if you can travel in shoulder season.

elleny76

Reaction score
thanks both ... Yes its about HGVC . I have tons of points to expend with HGVC and no availability. ( Yes I sow in II and RCI has plenty . Just don't want to pay exchange fees)

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
I was able to book this through rci with no problem

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Booking directly w/ HGVC is limited -- you can only book a full week, and it must be a Fri-Fri reservation. I have had much better luck getting what I want with either RCI or SFX (and I have been at the Grand Mayan properties many times, with another planned for this Thanksgiving).

Kurt

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I have heard booking through SFX still has the $75 resort fee vs the $11 per person per day resort fee that RCI/II/ and TPI exchange members have to pay.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have heard booking through SFX still has the $75 resort fee vs the $11 per person per day resort fee that RCI/II/ and TPI exchange members have to pay.

This is true/correct. I needed (2) 2 BR units in Grand Bliss, and SFX only had one, so I had to use RCI for the other. SFX has the $75 resort fee and RCI has the hideous $11/person/day.

HOWEVER, I have a screenshot of RCI booking AFTER I booked that popped up and said only $75. So we'll see which one happens. If it's the $11/person/day I may have to abuse RCI or something given that their website popped up something different.

As for booking Vidanta via HGVC. Here's what the OP can do:

Deposit a week or two into SFX and then use that week to book. If you do things right you can actually make out pretty good. Deposit a 2400 points Las Vegas Flamingo week (1 BR) and use that to book the Grand Mayan with SFX.

However, SFX right now is only showing Friday/Friday check-ins as well. Every single request I've gone through has been Fri/Fri for this year and next for some reason. Even in Nuevo Vallarta.

I have a feeling it's Vidanta controlling the dates as they also got rid of the 1/4 rule with SFX as well.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I don't know if you will have any luck because this also shows- before you select a week to book.

Before you search, see Urgent Information

When you click on the Urgent Info this comes up:

Urgent Information
Mandatory Fees:

daily usage fee is 11.00 U.S. dollars.

Mandatory Resort Fee per Adult, per night.

Policy Restrictions:

Minimum age check-in: Minimum age check-in is 21.

Hotel units are recommended for 2 adults and 2 children under 12 years of age

No Pets. Please contact the resort directly regarding its ADA service animal policy.

General Urgent Information:

There is a 3% state lodging tax.

Security deposit required upon check-in at the resort.

Credit card imprint required upon check-in at the resort.

Fees or deposits are charged for some amenities.

Additional Information:

*You can ONLY book up to 2 units per calendar year with no more than 1 unit during HIGH season at ALL Mayan Properties. *HIGH SEASON* 2017 (Jun30-Aug17; Nov17-Nov23; Dec22-Jan04/2018). 2018 (Jan05-Apr05; Jun29-Aug16; Nov16-Nov22; Dec21-Jan03/2019). 2019 (Jan04-Apr25; Jun28-Aug15; Nov22-Nov28; Dec20-Jan02/2020). *LOW SEASON is considered any other dates along the year.

ONLY during Low Season: *Consecutive Weeks: 2 weeks back to back must have same check in day. Guest certificate only if owner/co-owner is not traveling. * Multiple Units: 2 Units within the same week could be confirmed into different Resort ID’s, same region and check in day. 2nd unit must have Guest Certificate. *Close date confirmations made 48 hours prior to arrival will not be accepted.

*Mayan owners are allowed to confirm Mayan Properties by regular exchange and extra vacations. Same rules and restrictions must be followed. *Violations to any rule will be cancelled. Extra fees for Valet Parking, Internet, Gym, SPA, Tennis, Golf and Safe Box. The location of the unit will be assigned upon arrival directly by Mayan. RCI DOES NOT ASSIGN THE UNIT.

Resort applies a US$11 Resort Fee per adult, per night. Children over 12 years old are consider as adults. Fee includes: One-way transportation Airport to Hotel, transportation throughout the Resort, local phone calls, basic Internet for 1 device, Gym Access, Press summary, a Welcome drink and Daily Housekeeping service.

Offer includes only accommodations and specifically excludes travel costs and other expenses that may be incurred.

Back to Available Units

And then when you choose a week to book - but before you go through the confirmation process:

Before you book, review what you need to know about this resort

When you click on that link this comes up (basically the same info as before):

what you need to know
Mandatory Fees:

daily usage fee is 11.00 U.S. dollars. Mandatory Resort Fee per Adult, per night.

SFX seems to get maybe a couple of hundred of Vidant deposits if that, per year a few dozen at most at a time. RCI gets 1000-2000 units per year. II gets bulk deposits probably 200-300 units at a time. Vidant just has a lot of unsold inventory. I really don't think it has that many members depositing. Many have to be developer deposits. To recoup some of that Vidant has instituted this fee. As long as enough people continue to exchange through II and RCI Vidant will continue the fee.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What date did you book? If you booked before they changed the fee then you do pay the old fee. Your confirmation should have the booking date. I haven't heard of anyone having to pay the higher fee if they booked prior to the change.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I don't think that SFX has the same limitation on the number of units booked in a calendar year, where as RCI or II might have those limitations. SFX has a ton of inventory from these resorts, so checking there may be a good idea, as they may have the inventory you are looking for. Since there is a relationship between SFX and Hilton, you might want to go that route. I have deposited units from SFX into HGVC.

A lot of the SFX inventory never appears online, so It would be worth checking that as an option if needed.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
What date did you book? If you booked before they changed the fee then you do pay the old fee. Your confirmation should have the booking date. I haven't heard of anyone having to pay the higher fee if they booked prior to the change.

I booked 11/30/16. But when I went to actually book it, I got that pop-up I posted. But the confirmation they sent says $11/person/day. Not sure if I should call and complain/whatever now or see what happens when my sister check's in (but I did tell her both prices anyway so she's not surprised).

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I have a feeling it's Vidanta controlling the dates as they also got rid of the 1/4 rule with SFX as well.

IMO - this is correct

Most Vidanta contracts are float week / float unit / RTU . The owner ARP is generally 6 months on Mayan Palace , Bliss and some Grand Mayan .
Grand Bliss and Grand Luxe owners may have ARP up to 1 year .

They build for peak snowbird season ,and staff & build in pesos - so Vidanta has availability (they control) from mid April to late December .
This means(IMO )they operate with exchange companies the way hotels or airlines operate on travel sites .(IMO)the same week is "listed"
with more than one exchange company and as bookings occur they manage the inventory to make sure that enough availability remains for owners .

June 30 - mid August is (IMO) high season - because they are selling more Mexican National contracts for summer use to the growing Mexican middle class ,
who often buy for family use that includes grandparents in there 50's and married children & spouses and their children Historically (IMO ) Mexican National contracts were
for the big 4 Mexican holiday weeks - Christmas , New Years and the 2 (floating) weeks on either side of Easter Sunday .
Filling summer with Mexican National contracts will over time increase Vidanta's overall yearly occupancy rate .

It is probably almost 100 percent from Mid Jan - mid April / Peak Snowbird Season

PS - the $ 11 pp/pd applies to Nuevo Vallarta & Riviera Maya .
The fee is less (or may not exist) at the other Vidanta locations .
See your exchange companies fine print for details by resort code .

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
IMO - this is correct

Most Vidanta contracts are float week / float unit / RTU . The owner ARP is generally 6 months on Mayan Palace , Bliss and some Grand Mayan .
Grand Bliss and Grand Luxe owners may have ARP up to 1 year .

They build for peak snowbird season ,and staff & build in pesos - so Vidanta has availability (they control) from mid April to late December .
This means(IMO )they operate with exchange companies the way hotels or airlines operate on travel sites .(IMO)the same week is "listed"
with more than one exchange company and as bookings occur they manage the inventory to make sure that enough availability remains for owners .

June 30 - mid August is (IMO) high season - because they are selling more Mexican National contracts for summer use to the growing Mexican middle class ,
who often buy for family use that includes grandparents in there 50's and married children & spouses and their children Historically (IMO ) Mexican National contracts were
for the big 4 Mexican holiday weeks - Christmas , New Years and the 2 (floating) weeks on either side of Easter Sunday .
Filling summer with Mexican National contracts will over time increase Vidanta's overall yearly occupancy rate .

It is probably almost 100 percent from Mid Jan - mid April / Peak Snowbird Season

PS - the $ 11 pp/pd applies to Nuevo Vallarta & Riviera Maya .
The fee is less (or may not exist) at the other Vidanta locations .
See your exchange companies fine print for details by resort code .
If they are building for peak season, that means that they probably have 50-70% occupancy to offload to the exchange companies during off/shoulder season. It makes sense that they want to try to recoupe some of those costs from people getting in on cheap exchanges and the $11 fee seems to do that. As long as people continue to exchange and are willing to pay the fee they will tack continue to tack it on. If the fee cuts in to the number of people coming in and buying then they may reconsider but it seems to work so far. For two people, the fee is somewhat reasonable, we would be willing to pay it if or when we end up making an exchange in to one of the properties.

elleny76

Reaction score
I was able to book this through rci with no problem
Yes plenty in RCI but I don't want to pay the exchange fee of $229 + resort fees+ other Mexico fees when I can book with my HGVC points and save money. I already pay a lot in maintenance. I just booked something else in Cancun with my other TS.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't think that SFX has the same limitation on the number of units booked in a calendar year, where as RCI or II might have those limitations. SFX has a ton of inventory from these resorts, so checking there may be a good idea, as they may have the inventory you are looking for. Since there is a relationship between SFX and Hilton, you might want to go that route. I have deposited units from SFX into HGVC.

A lot of the SFX inventory never appears online, so It would be worth checking that as an option if needed.

Not sure what SFX limitation is now but I booked 2 consecutive weeks at Grand Luxxe through SFX in 2/2016 but next year would only allow me 1 week.

kevreh

Reaction score
FWIW I was just checking out this resort through the RCI page and got this alert; "Resort amenities fee is 630.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted. Mandatory resort fee per 1B unit, per week."

Is that correct, or not applicable to HGVC coming in through the RCI page?

Also, is this an all inclusive resort, food wise?

Last edited:

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
FWIW I was just checking out this resort through the RCI page and got this alert; "Resort amenities fee is 630.00 U.S. dollars. Only Credit Cards accepted. Mandatory resort fee per 1B unit, per week."

Is that correct, or not applicable to HGVC coming in through the RCI page?

Also, is this an all inclusive resort, food wise?

With HGVC there's 3 ways to book Vidanta resorts (independent of renting from someone):

1) Directly with your HGVC points, but you have to call HGVC to do this. The points requirements are quite steep, IMO. I don't know if booking via this method avoids the resort fee all together, or if you pay the typical SFX $75 Resort fee imposed by Vidanta.

2) Use your HGVC RCI account to book. This of course, incurs the RCI exchange fee, AND the lovely Vidanta-imposed resort fee which is based on unit size, as you found out. You get a 25% discount on that resort fee, plus ( although it's horribly worded, IMO), a 25% discount on room charges (you have to click that link in the RCI fees area to see what it really covers). IMO, this makes it expensive, and almost as pricey as renting from an owner on redweek. For *me*, not worth it and we won't go there if RCI/II is our only option.

3) SFX. You can get a trial/free membership, deposit a HGVC week (I deposit a Flamingo week at 2400 points), and then OGS or book via SFX. You'll pay the Exchange fee, which for regular/free I think is $189? (I'm Diamond, so I pay $149). And the $75 resort fee is due upon check-out. IMO, this is the best/cheapest way, given the 3.

kevreh

Reaction score
Thanks Hurnik, I'll keep these options in mind if I decide to stay at the Mayan.