• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The End of Day Light Saving Time

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
"When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said. "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket." :)

Brett

Reaction score
It is now 5:00AM and it is dark outside. My body thanks and feel it is 6:00AM .
LOL :ponder:

Plus, my Sunday’s newspaper is not in my newspaper box.

yeah, I would also vote to end DST
but you can now get the news electronically _ you don't to wait for a paper boy to deliver it ... or paper person:)

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Had to check out of a timeshare this morning, glad we got an extra hour. I will have to remember that for our next year fall weekend getaway.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is now 5:00AM and it is dark outside. My body thanks and feel it is 6:00AM .
LOL :ponder:
I can't think of a single thing that would get me up at 5 AM on a Sunday morning unless it was a HUGE mayfly hatch on my favorite river. :)

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
The good news is I only had to change about 3 clocks and 2 watches. Most change automatically. Too bad they don't build that feature into high end appliances. These things should have automatic time changes and battery back-up so I don't have to reset the clock every freaking time the power blinks.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Okay, but what advantages do you see in DDT?
I like that it stays lighter later in the day. There are some interesting debates online about the pros and cons of DST. Was that a mistype, or is there something called DDT?

What advantages do you see in Standard Time?

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Any State can opt into no DST. However if a State wants to be permanent DST ( which is what CA, OR, and WA want to do) they need Federal permission.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was awake at 5 this morning, got up at 6. It has already been a long day, but I got some cleaning done!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
The good news is I only had to change about 3 clocks and 2 watches. Most change automatically. Too bad they don't build that feature into high end appliances. These things should have automatic time changes and battery back-up so I don't have to reset the clock every freaking time the power blinks.

We had an old, small, fat TV that we still used in the kitchen until about two years ago (actually just noticed that's what I'm using in my office now). Until about 5 years ago the built in VCR still worked and I'd tape shows that I wanted to watch during dinner (the On Demand feature is only on our large TVs, not the small TVs in my office or the kitchen). The TV was made before they moved the fall clock change until after Halloween and the spring change earlier (I think) too. That meant twice a year for a week I had to try to figure out what time the TV thought my show would be on, and half the time I got the show before or after it, or worse, the front half or back half only of a two hour show.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our microwave insists that we input the date EVERY TIME WE CHANGE THE TIME. Why does it need to know the date? I HAVE NO FRICKIN' CLUE. It's also the appliance in our house that is most sensitive to power flashes, so we tend to have to change the time on it way more frequently than the stove or other clocks. *sigh*

I guess it made sense to some Japanese programmer somewhere...

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
And there is no way to bypass it either. You either input the month/day/year or you can't change the time. *smdh*

geekette

Reaction score
My beef is that you can't dip into this "savings" to get some daylight in gloomy February. Have we really saved daylight? I don't think so.

geekette

Reaction score
And there is no way to bypass it either. You either input the month/day/year or you can't change the time. *smdh*
I think my bypass would be to replace it!

I lose power a lot, I don't bother resetting time on stuff like microwave, coffee pot, stove. time of day means nothing to them. They don't flash, my alarm clock does that. solved it by unplugging it.

I'm one of those people that mostly doesn't care what time it is unless I need to be somewhere. never a watch-wearer.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I like that it stays lighter later in the day. There are some interesting debates online about the pros and cons of DST. Was that a mistype, or is there something called DDT?

What advantages do you see in Standard Time?

DDT comes from trying to type a reply on a cell phone with a very small keyboard.....yes, I meant DST!

I'm on record a few posts back about the safety issue in the mornings with respect to kids getting on busses and traveling to school in the dark. That is a major part of it - but most of all, I'm not necessarily for standard versus daylight time as much as I'd prefer we NOT switch (choose one or the other, then stay). If that were the case, I think more care and consideration might be given to when things start / stop (like the school day for example, but perhaps business hours too).

But something we have not mentioned to this point in the thread is that DST (got it right that time!) did not always run into November. It used to stop in early October and when that was the case, you did not have as much commuting to school in the dark as we do with DST running into November. Without looking, I thought DST (2 for 2!) used to run April - October. I can't recall why we extended DST (3 for 3!) from October to November - does anyone recall the rationale?

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think Gallagher has a solution! (..and don't you want to know what it is!?)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate the time change. My cat started whining at 5am on Sunday instead of 6am because his internal clock said it was 6am and it was high time we got up to feed him. We go through this adjustment for a few days twice a year. Poor kitty is always confused.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
DDT comes from trying to type a reply on a cell phone with a very small keyboard.....yes, I meant DST!

I'm on record a few posts back about the safety issue in the mornings with respect to kids getting on busses and traveling to school in the dark. That is a major part of it - but most of all, I'm not necessarily for standard versus daylight time as much as I'd prefer we NOT switch (choose one or the other, then stay). If that were the case, I think more care and consideration might be given to when things start / stop (like the school day for example, but perhaps business hours too).

But something we have not mentioned to this point in the thread is that DST (got it right that time!) did not always run into November. It used to stop in early October and when that was the case, you did not have as much commuting to school in the dark as we do with DST running into November. Without looking, I thought DST (2 for 2!) used to run April - October. I can't recall why we extended DST (3 for 3!) from October to November - does anyone recall the rationale?
I believe it was so kids wouldn't have to be trick or treating in the dark. I thought it was a good idea when it happened.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Changing clocks for Daylight Savings is just dumb and I wish this twice a year of clock change will be eliminated. It is not as though you get longer daylight just by changing time on the clock.

Correct, you don't get longer daylight by changing the clocks. You just make better use of the daylight hours you have in the spring and summer and lack thereof in the fall and winter.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it was so kids wouldn't have to be trick or treating in the dark. I thought it was a good idea when it happened.

I thought that was the reason why moving our clocks back was changed from the final weekend in October (just before Halloween) to the first weekend in November.

cissy

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hate the time change. My cat started whining at 5am on Sunday instead of 6am because his internal clock said it was 6am and it was high time we got up to feed him. We go through this adjustment for a few days twice a year. Poor kitty is always confused.
My puppy too.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
California voted to get rid of it last year. Congress has until the end of 2020 to decide if they will let us do it. Not sure why they care. I tried looking up some more info, but I am finding both that we would always be on DST and that we would never be on DST, so I guess the reporters know about as much as I do.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without looking, I thought DST (2 for 2!) used to run April - October. I can't recall why we extended DST (3 for 3!) from October to November - does anyone recall the rationale?

From my understanding, it was so that kids would not have to go trick-or-treating on Halloween in the dark.