TUG MEMBERS: Joining TUG does not automatically register you as a user of the TUG Bulletin Board. You must register yourself.

*ads are disabled when logged in as a member*
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 25 years!

Join tens of thousands of other owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $13,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $13Million dollars
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Sign up to get the TUG Newsletter for free! Join tens of thousands of other owners who get this every week! Latest resort reviews and the most important topics discussed by owners during the week!
    Dismiss Notice
  5. TUG is trying out a new program that will trade you a TUG membership for a Timeshare resort review if you are an expired member, or even just a guest here on the forums!

Read more here
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

Read more Here
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Follow the TUG Member Banner as it travels the world on vacation with Timeshare owners! Also sign up to get the banner sent to you so you can submit a photo of your vacation with the banner to share with TUG! Banner Thread
    Dismiss Notice
  8. TUG has now joined Priceline.com as an affiliate!

Members and guests who book air travel, rental cars and even Cruise Vacations thru TUG's priceline links will now support TUG in the process!

Read more here
  9. A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!
    Dismiss Notice

The End of Day Light Saving Time

Discussion in 'TUG Lounge' started by pedro47, Nov 3, 2019.

1. pittle

pittle Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Grand Luxxe
    Buganvilias Sky Suites
    Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
    "When told the reason for daylight savings time the Old Indian said. "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket." :)

rapmarks, Ken555, mentalbreak and 3 others like this.
  2. Brett

Brett Guest

yeah, I would also vote to end DST
    but you can now get the news electronically _ you don't to wait for a paper boy to deliver it ... or paper person:)

3. Sandy VDH

Sandy VDH TUG Review Crew: Elite TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Wynd VIP Plat, HGVC Elite, HICV, + few others
    Had to check out of a timeshare this morning, glad we got an extra hour. I will have to remember that for our next year fall weekend getaway.

mentalbreak likes this.
  4. Passepartout

Passepartout TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I can't think of a single thing that would get me up at 5 AM on a Sunday morning unless it was a HUGE mayfly hatch on my favorite river. :)

LannyPC likes this.
  5. Sea Six

Sea Six TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    Club Regency - Marco Island
    Lagunamar - Cancun
    Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
    The good news is I only had to change about 3 clocks and 2 watches. Most change automatically. Too bad they don't build that feature into high end appliances. These things should have automatic time changes and battery back-up so I don't have to reset the clock every freaking time the power blinks.

6. bbodb1

bbodb1 TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
    Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    Okay, but what advantages do you see in DDT?

7. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

I like that it stays lighter later in the day. There are some interesting debates online about the pros and cons of DST. Was that a mistype, or is there something called DDT?

What advantages do you see in Standard Time?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  8. geist1223

geist1223 Guest

Resorts Owned:
    Worldmark 89,000
    Seaside Oregon Residence Club
    Diamond Resorts Intermnational Hawaiian Collection 50,000
    Royal Solaris San Jose del Cavo
    Any State can opt into no DST. However if a State wants to be permanent DST ( which is what CA, OR, and WA want to do) they need Federal permission.

9. Beachclubmum

Beachclubmum Guest

I think we put far too much emphasis on time down to the exact minute and second. Bring back sundials instead.

geekette, x3 skier and Ken555 like this.
  10. Patri

Patri Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I was awake at 5 this morning, got up at 6. It has already been a long day, but I got some cleaning done!

11. clifffaith

clifffaith TUG Member

We had an old, small, fat TV that we still used in the kitchen until about two years ago (actually just noticed that's what I'm using in my office now). Until about 5 years ago the built in VCR still worked and I'd tape shows that I wanted to watch during dinner (the On Demand feature is only on our large TVs, not the small TVs in my office or the kitchen). The TV was made before they moved the fall clock change until after Halloween and the spring change earlier (I think) too. That meant twice a year for a week I had to try to figure out what time the TV thought my show would be on, and half the time I got the show before or after it, or worse, the front half or back half only of a two hour show.

12. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

Our microwave insists that we input the date EVERY TIME WE CHANGE THE TIME. Why does it need to know the date? I HAVE NO FRICKIN' CLUE. It's also the appliance in our house that is most sensitive to power flashes, so we tend to have to change the time on it way more frequently than the stove or other clocks. *sigh*

I guess it made sense to some Japanese programmer somewhere...

13. Luanne

Luanne TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Who is probably laughing his head off right about now.

WVBaker and amycurl like this.
  14. amycurl

amycurl TUG Member

And there is no way to bypass it either. You either input the month/day/year or you can't change the time. *smdh*

klpca likes this.
  15. geekette

geekette Guest

My beef is that you can't dip into this "savings" to get some daylight in gloomy February. Have we really saved daylight? I don't think so.

16. geekette

geekette Guest

I think my bypass would be to replace it!

I lose power a lot, I don't bother resetting time on stuff like microwave, coffee pot, stove. time of day means nothing to them. They don't flash, my alarm clock does that. solved it by unplugging it.

I'm one of those people that mostly doesn't care what time it is unless I need to be somewhere. never a watch-wearer.

17. bbodb1

Resorts Owned:
    RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
    DDT comes from trying to type a reply on a cell phone with a very small keyboard.....yes, I meant DST!

I'm on record a few posts back about the safety issue in the mornings with respect to kids getting on busses and traveling to school in the dark. That is a major part of it - but most of all, I'm not necessarily for standard versus daylight time as much as I'd prefer we NOT switch (choose one or the other, then stay). If that were the case, I think more care and consideration might be given to when things start / stop (like the school day for example, but perhaps business hours too).

But something we have not mentioned to this point in the thread is that DST (got it right that time!) did not always run into November. It used to stop in early October and when that was the case, you did not have as much commuting to school in the dark as we do with DST running into November. Without looking, I thought DST (2 for 2!) used to run April - October. I can't recall why we extended DST (3 for 3!) from October to November - does anyone recall the rationale?

18. bbodb1

Resorts Owned:
    I think Gallagher has a solution! (..and don't you want to know what it is!?)

19. VacationForever

VacationForever Tug Review Crew: Rookie TUG Member

I hate the time change. My cat started whining at 5am on Sunday instead of 6am because his internal clock said it was 6am and it was high time we got up to feed him. We go through this adjustment for a few days twice a year. Poor kitty is always confused.

cissy likes this.
  20. klpca

klpca TUG Review Crew: Veteran TUG Member

Resorts Owned:
    SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, HGVC Bay Club
    I believe it was so kids wouldn't have to be trick or treating in the dark. I thought it was a good idea when it happened.

clifffaith likes this.
  21. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

Correct, you don't get longer daylight by changing the clocks. You just make better use of the daylight hours you have in the spring and summer and lack thereof in the fall and winter.

klpca likes this.
  22. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

I thought that was the reason why moving our clocks back was changed from the final weekend in October (just before Halloween) to the first weekend in November.

23. cissy

cissy TUG Member

My puppy too.

VacationForever likes this.
  24. presley

presley TUG Review Crew: Expert TUG Member

California voted to get rid of it last year. Congress has until the end of 2020 to decide if they will let us do it. Not sure why they care. I tried looking up some more info, but I am finding both that we would always be on DST and that we would never be on DST, so I guess the reporters know about as much as I do.

25. LannyPC

LannyPC TUG Member

From my understanding, it was so that kids would not have to go trick-or-treating on Halloween in the dark.