• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The crazy cost of cell phones, no matter what you buy

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
We only buy Apple prducts when it comes to phones, tablets and computers. They always work. With very rare exceptions, they work extremely well for our needs, and they last. Couldn’t ask for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gee, I have the same experience with my Samsung product. I do own an iPod, but that is only because the MP3 player I'd had for years went belly up and they are not made any longer.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I love the IPHONE. But I admit it is all I know when it comes to cell phones.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience with iPhone was nothing but trouble. The iPhone was replaced 3 times within 3 months, each time the battery just drained within a few hours. Their tech in the Apple shop could not fix it. The last time the rep changed it out said to us that they would not do another exchange. Good riddance, they lost our business. Later on I researched on the internet that battery draining was usually attributed to email sync issue. We fixed it on the 3rd phone. Now it is Samsung phones and tablets for us. I do have a LG phone and love it.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience with iPhone was nothing but trouble. The iPhone was replaced 3 times within 3 months, each time the battery just drained within a few hours. Their tech in the Apple shop could not fix it. The last time the rep changed it out said to us that they would not do another exchange. Good riddance, they lost our business. Later on I researched on the internet that battery draining was usually attributed to email sync issue. We fixed it on the 3rd phone. Now it is Samsung phones and tablets for us. I do have a LG phone and love it.

I won't hold it against you. Lol

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
I have a bought new moto g6 which was $89 (a year after came out) and we use prepaid total wireless with unlimited talk/text and share 30gbs of data for the two of us for $55 a month. My Moto has most all the bells and whistles.

rogewake

Reaction score
Hahahahaha. Millions of people think otherwise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know. The last iPhone I had was an iPhone 5s but then I tried using a Samsung smartphone and I can just compare the longer battery life of an android phone and I never considered buying an iPhone again.

littlestar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club, Marriott & Wyndham pts
I use Tello (on an old IPhone 6 my husband used to carry). I pay $10 a month for unlimited texts and calls and 1 GB of data. Works for me because I use an IPad or MacBook to surf the net on WiFi. Also switched/ported our old landline number to Magicjack and saved us $400 a year vs. AT&T (I wanted to keep our old landline telephone number we’ve had for years). I considered Ooma, but went with Magicjack.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know. The last iPhone I had was an iPhone 5s but then I tried using a Samsung smartphone and I can just compare the longer battery life of an android phone and I never considered buying an iPhone again.
I have a LG which also was draining battery for a while and it turned up there was a useless process running all the time. I turned that off and put an extended battery on it. At bedtime it is still at 90 percent.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Have Ooma (VOIP) as my "landline" for several years (and different homes) .. aka internet phone service.. Kept my 'old' phone numbers and have a PO Box for mail. At least 8+ years, I have been a gypsy ... moving every couple of years.

Now, if they just lower the cost of cable TV and improve internet accessibility .... cable TV service includes has my internet.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reading what you do with your cell phones and service gives me a headache. I thought I am pretty techy, I am just a noob when compared to you.

Well, I just like to list things as there are articles written all the time that say you can't do work on a tablet, by people who don't use tablets of course or don't take the time to learn them. Yet, I did, for years, and it wasn't any slower than a laptop as far as speed of work and efficiency. I remotely supported major web properties, did coding, you name it.

Similar to what vacationhopefuly points out as well, for a "home phone", I use Google Voice (100% free) via a OBI202. So, $0/month for many many years now. Still have my Dallas number on it.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, I just like to list things as there are articles written all the time that say you can't do work on a tablet, by people who don't use tablets of course or don't take the time to learn them. Yet, I did, for years, and it wasn't any slower than a laptop as far as speed of work and efficiency. I remotely supported major web properties, did coding, you name it.

Similar to what vacationhopefuly points out as well, for a "home phone", I use Google Voice (100% free) via a OBI202. So, $0/month for many many years now. Still have my Dallas number on it.
I use my tablet mainly for surfing and less serious email and "Tugging". I use a laptop for serious work like submitting a trip insurance claim and writing instructions regarding our kitty for my pet sitter. I am visiting my son this week and left my brand new 14 inch laptop home because it is a hassle to lug it. I cannot wait to get home to get back on my laptop.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use my tablet mainly for surfing and less serious email and "Tugging" I use a laptop for serious work like submitting a trip insurance claim and writing instructions regarding kitty for my pet sitter. I am visiting my son this week and left my brand new 14 inch laptop home because it is a hassle to lug it. I cannot wait to get home to get back on my laptop.

Yep. to convert to a tablet (iPad in my case), took a little bit of effort, workflow was different, but, in the end, just as productive if not more. Of course, there may be things in a specific job that make it not so good, for mine, there was none. But it's totally different, so, that's why they write these articles. They think they can try a tablet for a month or whatever. For serious work, doesn't work that way! Of course, I have a bluetooth KB.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

My XR battery lasts longer than I expected. Battery life is really a problem in the past, but if you have an older phone then having less battery life is expected. Many people just expect it to work at three years old as it did on day one, and that’s just not realistic.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
My XR battery lasts longer than I expected. Battery life is really a problem in the past, but if you have an older phone then having less battery life is expected. Many people just expect it to work at three years old as it did on day one, and that’s just not realistic.

When they made the iPhone 7, the battery life had major improvements and the max size was even better. My brother has the 6s and got a new battery last year and it still can’t last the entire day. My 7 plus never got below 50 percent and the Xr I have now is 80-90 percent at the end of the day. The phones are a lot better than they use to be.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We rarely use our computer. We mainly (96%) use our Samsung Tablets.