• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

The crazy cost of cell phones, no matter what you buy

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
I always read how our phones were never truly free, that we were paying for it one way or another. But, if that were so, why didn’t our bills go down when we started having to pay for the phones. I know ours didn’t. I remember buying our refurbished SE’s from bestbuy for $.01 each

Simple market demand in play here. Your bills didn’t go down because the market didn’t demand that the providers charge less for the same services. T-Mobile eventually came along and changed the market by not requiring two year contracts in return for the subsidies provided for the phones.

So what did the providers in the market do? They came up with “unlimited” plans so they could keep charging the same rates to their customers that actually don’t use anywhere close to the data and usage limits. 80% of unlimited customers hardly use any real data. Data bandwidth is the most expensive component of mobile infrastructure by far.

Almost everyone I know has an unlimited plan, even though a small percentage actually use more than 20GB of data per month per phone where an unlimited data plan actually makes good sense. We still have a 30GB AT&T data plan with rollover for six devices. Since we are almost always on a WiFi network, we only use about 50-70% of our data per month across all six devices. With rollover that means we can use up to 40GB of data per month and pay nothing for the overage on average. The 30GB plan has unlimited calls and texting. Heckuva lot cheaper than any of the unlimited plans.

So basically you aren’t paying less because you probably have an unlimited plan where you have the right to use as much data as you want. The question is, do you? If not, then you are paying much more for a privilege you never actually use. Granted, it sure is convenient and worry free though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
So I visited ATT and T Mobile. The guy at ATT looked at our Account and said we were getting every discount available (Military, AutoPay, and multi line). With the over 55 plan at T Mobile we will get 4 lines (2 Fones and 2 Tablets) and pay only 60% of what we were paying ATT. Oh and they threw in 2 Samsung S10 fones for free. Guess what company we will have tomorrow afternoon.

We’ve been with AT&T for over 20 years now, but I’m seriously considering switching to T-Mobile as doing so would cut our monthly costs by 25-50% dependent upon what we choose to do. The only stopper is that my youngest son upgraded recently to an iPhone Plus XR and still owes quite a bit on his phone. That said, T-Mobile will sometimes pay off your phone balances when you switch, so I really need to look into this option sooner rather than later.

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Moto g7 (Motorola) with Google Project Fi -$199. I'm not sure what I am missing. Certainly would meet Cindy's needs as she describes them.

Unless you are committed to Apple, I think these are the best buy out there.
The Motorola G7, G7 Power, G7 Play.
The G7 has the most memory.
The G7 Power has a battery that lasts for 3 days.
The G7 Play is a slightly smaller size for pocketability.

Costs run from $200, $250, and $300.

All come with Android 9 Pie and are guaranteed to get the next version when it becomes available so you you should get at least 3-4 years or 7-10 on the outside.

Also. Motorola has the least bloatware I have seen, but your carrier can add to to that so it may vary by carrier. I use Ting for my service, which charges just for what you use. We run two phones for about $20 average per month (Most months about $18 but when we travel, we peak at about $32 for a few months... that is for two phones)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
So I visited ATT and T Mobile. The guy at ATT looked at our Account and said we were getting every discount available (Military, AutoPay, and multi line). With the over 55 plan at T Mobile we will get 4 lines (2 Fones and 2 Tablets) and pay only 60% of what we were paying ATT. Oh and they threw in 2 Samsung S10 fones for free. Guess what company we will have tomorrow afternoon.

Hmmm. I guess I need to find out why T-Mobile doesn't cover my iPad. I'm sure we took the iPad in with us last Christmas when Cliff decided my clam shell was no longer good enough. We went from $240 a year for two clamshells to $70/month for two smartphones. I turned off ATT on the iPad because I so rarely used it, and we talked about this in front of the sales man.

So glad I insisted on iPhone, figuring since I could use an iPad I could figure out the iPhone. I can't use Cliff's phone (which means when he comes to me once a week with a question I am no help). Mom's phone is even worse, I can't even turn it on because it turns on with a swipe and I'm trying to find a button like on the iPhone. You want to watch an effort in futility, watch either of us try to help Mom with her phone. The blind leading the blind.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I find it interesting that so many people pay extra to have a cell plan for their iPad/tablet. Personally, I just tether my iPad to my phone and utilize the data service from the phone. I always have my phone with me, so when I am using an iPad, my phone is always in close proximity (I'm guessing that is the case for 95%+ of all users). The only time I tend not to have my cell phone in my pocket is as home, but then I have wifi that my tablet can use.

This model has two major cost advantages vs. getting a data plan for an iPad/tablet. 1) Obviously, you don't have to pay an extra monthly fee for each iPad, and 2) you don't have to pay the extra $100-$150 for the cell-capable iPad -- you only need the wifi version.

Am I missing something here? Is there really a reason to pay more upfront for a tablet PLUS pay for an extra data line each month?

Kurt

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I find it interesting that so many people pay extra to have a cell plan for their iPad/tablet. Personally, I just tether my iPad to my phone and utilize the data service from the phone. I always have my phone with me, so when I am using an iPad, my phone is always in close proximity (I'm guessing that is the case for 95%+ of all users). The only time I tend not to have my cell phone in my pocket is as home, but then I have wifi that my tablet can use.

This model has two major cost advantages vs. getting a data plan for an iPad/tablet. 1) Obviously, you don't have to pay an extra monthly fee for each iPad, and 2) you don't have to pay the extra $100-$150 for the cell-capable iPad -- you only need the wifi version.

Am I missing something here? Is there really a reason to pay more upfront for a tablet PLUS pay for an extra data line each month?

Kurt

No, absolutely not. I’ve been doing the exact same thing as you since I purchased my first iPad 8 or 9 years ago. I even use it a lot of times at Wyndham properties because the wifi is so bad. The hotspot has never failed me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

Kurt

Some phone plans limit tethering speeds. I think TMobile tethers at 3G speeds unless you pay the extra for One Plus which is $15 for LTE (20gb max) tethering. Adding a data plan to a pad is about $20 a month. I’ve done either. Currently not paying for data on my pad because I have One Plus.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is only $10 per month per tablet and cheap enough to not have the hassle of tethering. We have 3 cell capable tablets between the 2 of us. I have a small one, Samsung Galaxy Tab A, that fits nicely into my small handbag and it is pretty handy. But when I want to use a larger screen for reading when I am out, I take my older Samsung Tab S2 with me. At home I just use my laptop. The small one only cost $199. The larger one cost alot more back then and it is probably the best tablet I have ever owned.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
It is only $10 per month per tablet and cheap enough to not have the hassle of tethering. We have 3 cell capable tablets between the 2 of us. I have a small one, Samsung Galaxy Tab A, that fits nicely into my small handbag and it is pretty handy. But when I want to use a larger screen for reading when I am out, I take my older Samsung Tab S2 with me. At home I just use my laptop. The small one only cost $199. The larger one cost alot more back then and it is probably the best tablet I have ever owned.

Sounds like another good reason to have an iPhone. Tethering is no hassle at all. Turn on the personal hotspot setting on your iPhone, enter the passcode and go. Free.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like another good reason to have an iPhone. Tethering is no hassle at all. Turn on the personal hotspot setting on your iPhone, enter the passcode and go. Free.

Tethering is also available on my Andriod phone. In fact I lent my phone to my sister and turned it on so that she could use her phone for data use using my cell plan when she travelled from overseas.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Kurt

It’s $130 to get the cellular feature on an iPad.

I don’t like tethering unless it’s absolutely necessary. I do this in Europe and it’s a pain to wait for it to connect, drain battery on two devices, etc. Also, I’ve been in areas where my phone doesn’t have a great connection with T-Mobile but my iPad is just fine with ATT (and sometimes the reverse is true).

For casual non-WiFi needs, tethering is perfect and one of the reasons the feature was developed.

As others have posted, T-Mobile also only charges $10/mth to add a tablet to an existing account and, I believe, includes the same data limit as your main phone account.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)

Kurt

All of our tablets are WiFi only units for this reason. I used to have a cellular IPad that my previous place of business paid for directly, but like you we are almost always in areas where WiFi signal is present so it’s not really necessary for us.

I do have a cellular Apple Watch that I pay extra for - I think it’s $10/month extra on AT&T at present. This is primarily because when we hike/walk/jog we don’t want to have to have our phones with us at all times.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score

Kurt
I agree that if you can tether for free, why pay more. But Tmobile only charges $10 per month for an extra line and the speed is much faster. You should be able to get 4g LTE with an iPad line. But if you tether, the speed is a lot slower. I had an iPad line, but seldom used it and canceled it and I don’t miss it. Also, Spectrum has hotspots just about everywhere we go.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The cost of service has gotten a lot cheaper over the years. Family plans are great along with senior plans on TMobile. I think I saw an ad for TMobile seniors to get basic service with two phones for $55 per month. That is slower internet speed and 1 GB per phone. But that deal might have changed. I have five lines for $110 a month of unlimited service on each phone. Spectrum just sent me an email with plans cheaper than TMobile. But they don’t include international travel or other things that TMobile has. I will keep TMobile. It works fine for me.

Carta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used to laugh at Tracfone...They've come long way...I use it as a spare....Check Tracfone out

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 6 lines, 3 smart phones and 3 tablets, with Verizon. It is on a 18 Gigabytes plan which is superior to their unlimited plan as far as speed goes, for $190 each month. We use only about 6 Gigs each month. We don't want to drop it down to save a few dollars a month because if we want to increase the data plan again, we will be forced to move to their unlimited plan.

Last edited:

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
My husband until this year only purchased his phone off of CL. I always purchase via ATT because I have a corporate plan and I don’t trust purchasing an IPhone on the grey market.

We tether and even have taught my Mom. I will pay for International Service when traveling. My Mom travels w/ my sister overseas at least twice a year so I prefer her to use her cellphone as well as Services via our carrier.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
My husband until this year only purchased his phone off of CL. I always purchase via ATT because I have a corporate plan and I don’t trust purchasing an IPhone on the grey market.
Used does not necessarily equal "grey market". Many people sell their perfectly useable phones after they upgrade.

Kurt

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

We tether and even have taught my Mom. I will pay for International Service when traveling. My Mom travels w/ my sister overseas at least twice a year so I prefer her to use her cellphone as well as Services via our carrier.
I'm not even sure what the grey market is.

I don't have an iPhone, I have a Samsung. But the last one I purchased online (new) either directly from Samsung or from Best Buy (don't remember). It was cheaper, I got it unlocked, then just went into the Verizon store to have them activate it.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
*whispers* I am still using an 5c.

Yes, there are many apps that I can't even load onto my phone at this point, why do you ask? ;)

I just find it hard to dispose of something that can still, you know, be a phone.

*sigh*

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
*whispers* I am still using an 5c.

Yes, there are many apps that I can't even load onto my phone at this point, why do you ask? ;)

I just find it hard to dispose of something that can still, you know, be a phone.

*sigh*
In all honesty, my phone is used less as a phone and more as another way to stay in touch. No one calls me (except the marketing and scam calls). My kids and husband (and most friends) text, or message me through FB.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
In all honesty, my phone is used less as a phone and more as another way to stay in touch. No one calls me (except the marketing and scam calls). My kids and husband (and most friends) text, or message me through FB.

This is me. I almost universally use data based contact methods. A literal cellphone call is my last resort these days. I will try just about anything before surrendering to a cellphone call LOL. Texting, WhatsApp, FB messenger, FaceTime, Teams, you name it, I use them all for comms.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We use Ting for our cell phones...typical bill for 2 lines is $27.31 per month (no texting, no data). I just purchased a Motorola e-4 Plus from Ting for $189 + taxes, with a $50 credit to be added to our account...net of $139 + taxes. This is an LTE phone, so it will survive when CDMA and GMS services go kaput...as is forecast to happen in the relatively near future. I was planning to use this phone just as a dumb phone, but I see now that Ting's rates for data and texting are quite low, provided you limit your amount of texting and data...so I may get sucked in to services I have been avoiding. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. In the meantime, my new cell phone seems to work well via our in-home wifi network...with no additional charges.

PeterS

TUG Member
Reaction score
We use Ting for our cell phones...typical bill for 2 lines is $27.31 per month (no texting, no data). I just purchased a Motorola e-4 Plus from Ting for $189 + taxes, with a $50 credit to be added to our account...net of $139 + taxes. This is an LTE phone, so it will survive when CDMA and GMS services go kaput...as is forecast to happen in the relatively near future. I was planning to use this phone just as a dumb phone, but I see now that Ting's rates for data and texting are quite low, provided you limit your amount of texting and data...so I may get sucked in to services I have been avoiding. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. In the meantime, my new cell phone seems to work well via our in-home wifi network...with no additional charges.

Great to hear there is another person on TUG that uses Ting.
Rated number one for customer service by Consumer Reports but seems to get a cold shoulder here. We have used Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, as well as others and Ting has been the best by far. The customer service is great, the phones are great prices and all are unlocked, and you only pay for what you use. This is great as we use our phones alot when we are away so only those months peak in costs. (highest bill ever was still under $40 for two phones) Around home when most of the data is done by WiFi, we get two smartphones running for about $18 a month.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I bought my Motorola G4 a couple of years ago from Amazon for $50. I haven't felt the need for replacing it, but if I do, the price of a Moto G7 – Unlocked – 64 GB has skyrocketed to $249.