• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tell me about Everglades & Miami

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just confirmed an exchange into Anchorage Resort (en route to Guadeloupe, should work out for ease of flights) partly to see Everglades and maybe Miami - and then enjoy a pretty sunset after a day of sightseeing. I hadn't really considered that resort for the keys, but looking at location it might work well for these daytrips, in addition to a couple of days keys-hopping. (I've been to the keys many years ago, camping at the state park on Long Key, so it won't be my first time.)

Anyone used this resort as a base for the Everglades and/or Miami, plus? If so was it worth it? Is there enough to do/see in lower Everglades for more than one day?

P.S This is what it was like camping on Long Key, pretty beautiful (not my photo):
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...Long_Key_State_Park-Florida_Keys_Florida.html

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I don't think there's much to do in the lower glades park area, except feel you are in the middle of nowhere. Most of the action I am aware of is along US41 in western Dade County and into Collier County. I'm talking about things like air boat rides, Indian museums, Shark Valley nature area (you can rent bikes or take a guided tram tour), and a variety of restaurants that feature some "local" foods, like alligator bits! The artist Clyde Butcher has a gallery along that stretch as well. I've never stayed on Key Largo because I usually just go to Key West or Marathon. That resort is in the middle of Miami, the Everglades attractions, and the lower keys, but it is not close to any of them.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Everglades National Park, near homestead is probably worth a trip.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Our favorite attraction in Homestead is the ORCHID NURSERIES on Krome Ave, between Homestead and US41. Absofreakin beautiful!!!! Oh, that, plus the Homestead International Speedway, where the NASCAR final is run. Great experience! It's near where Krome Ave hits the end of the Florida Turnpike. I'm not aware of any Everglades attractions in Homestead. It's not near the water. That area is famous for where they detained all the Cubans from the Marial Boat Lift.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our favorite attraction in Homestead is the ORCHID NURSERIES on Krome Ave, between Homestead and US41. Absofreakin beautiful!!!! Oh, that, plus the Homestead International Speedway, where the NASCAR final is run. Great experience! It's near where Krome Ave hits the end of the Florida Turnpike. I'm not aware of any Everglades attractions in Homestead. It's not near the water. That area is famous for where they detained all the Cubans from the Marial Boat Lift.
Everglades National Park has an entrance in or near homestead. A really nice boardwalk area and a road that goes all the way to bay of Florida

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This may be an unpopular opinion, but we went to Everglades National Park in May (which I guess is the dry season). We didn't see hardly any wildlife (no gators, deer, manatee, or interesting birds). Except for a few sights, it was incredibly boring...I'm a big national parks guy, but I should have been much more aware of the season. I think there is a lot more to see during the rainy season. Perhaps the airboat tours would be fun regardless of season?

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
This may be an unpopular opinion, but we went to Everglades National Park in May (which I guess is the dry season). We didn't see hardly any wildlife (no gators, deer, manatee, or interesting birds). Except for a few sights, it was incredibly boring...I'm a big national parks guy, but I should have been much more aware of the season. I think there is a lot more to see during the rainy season. Perhaps the airboat tours would be fun regardless of season?

Everglades Park is a HUGE place, and there are many entrances and boardwalks and roads that go thru it. It's just that some of the areas are much nicer than others, like Shark Valley. Most of it is very boring, like I said earlier, you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes airboat tours are fun. I am wondering which entrance you went in? There are three official entrances to the park. If you go in the one in Everglades City the only thing interesting is to take one of the boat tours. Shark valley was teeming with alligators and birds when we went in February. The other near Homestead is the Earnest F Coe visitor center. We have gone to the homestead entrance twice, one was at twilight. We were on the Anhinga trail over a slough. The birds came into roost, and one was on an alligators back. We heard a snap, and that bird was a goner. You can drive all the way to Florida bay at that one, but the scenery is repetitious. There is also the Gumbo Limbo trail. We have only gone to any of the parks during the dry season. I think Sea Six is referring to multiple entrances to the Everglades rather than to the National Park.

Last edited:

travelhacker

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes airboat tours are fun. I am wondering which entrance you went in? There are three official entrances to the park. If you go in the one in Everglades City the only thing interesting is to take one of the boat tours. Shark valley was teeming with alligators and birds when we went in February. The other near Homestead is the Earnest F Coe visitor center. We have gone to the homestead entrance twice, one was at twilight. We were on the Anhinga trail over a slough. The birds came into roost, and one was on an alligators back. We heard a snap, and that bird was a goner. You can drive all the way to Florida bay at that one, but the scenery is repetitious. There is also the Gumbo Limbo trail. We have only gone to any of the parks during the dry season. I think Sea Six is referring to multiple entrances to the Everglades rather than to the National Park.

We stayed in Homestead, and stopped at the Earnest F Coe visitor center. We then drove all the way through and went to Flamingo Visitor Center. We stopped several times along the way for little hikes and didn't see any wildlife. It was REALLY dry though and the rangers said that had a big impact on our ability to see wildlife.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
They were all over the neighborhood in April, must have been mating season.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is good info, thanks all. This will be in mid-December so hopefully birds and we won't mind the drive up to Shark Valley. I can keep my expectations on the low side in case there isn't a lot of wildlife. We enjoy boardwalk walks - last year we got over to Corkscrew Swamp near Bonita Springs and I liked it a lot, even tho the bird we most wanted to see didn't cooperate and show up at the right times. Sounds like we'd enjoy visiting the 2 lower entrances plus an orchid nursery on the way. I hope no repeat of red tide.

Anything in Miami or Miami Beach?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s funny but we see more birds in our subdivision than at Corkscrew sanctuary. But the time to see the birds is at dusk.

Last edited:

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We've stayed at the Anchorage. Depending on the time of day for traffic in Miami on the off times it's an hour drive south of Miami and 3.5-4 hours drive down to Key West. There are two things you might consider doing in Key Largo. The glass bottom boat tour out to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park. You can usually find deals for it on Groupon or Living Social. The actual African Queen steam boat from the movie is moored right by the glass bottom boat. You can go out on the African Queen. There used to be an option that they will drop you at a restaurant for dinner and come back later to pick you up.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
May or may not be of interest

But around FT Lauderdale there’s a water taxi. Google it for info
But it has several stops where you can get on / off throughout the day and the staff will narrate as you go from stop to stop

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many many years ago two tug members got into an argument on here as to who owned the better timeshare in Key largo. One challenged the other to meet behind a dumpster and duke it out. I remember discussing this thread with another Tugger who has since left the group. One of the Tuggers has passed away and I do not recall the other. You have to be an old time tugger to remember this.