• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tax writeoff on Timeshare rentals

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
This seems to be the provisions in question from the tax ruling:

Letter Ruling (TAM) 9505002 presents a very interesting situation in which a rental activity was not considered rental real estate because of the short duration of the rental, and because the lack of significant services performed did not rise to the level of an active trade or business.

A husband and wife owned several weeks of use of a timeshare condominium in a resort location. They rented out the timeshare to third parties for some or all of the weeks available to them. The average rental period for the timeshare was seven days or less. Although some rentals may have been more than seven days in length, on average they were not. Through the payment of association dues, cleaning and maintenance of the condiominium unit was provided before and after renters came and left the condominium. Otherwise, no other services were provided. The IRS determined that there were no significant services provided to renters of this condominium.

The taxpayers filed their tax return, claiming a rental loss on Schedule E; because their adjusted gross income was less than $150,000, they claimed all or a portion of the rental loss as active participation rental real estate (APRRE) loss under Sec. 469(i). On audit, the Service disallowed the rental loss; the taxpayers then requested this ruling.

The IRS ruled that because the average rental period was seven days or less, under the regulations, this activity was not considered a rental activity at all. Temp. Regs. Sec. 1.469-1T(e)(3)(ii)(A) states that when the average rental period is seven days or less, the activity is not a rental activity; instead, it is treated as a trade or business. However, because no significant services are provided, the activity is treated as passive. Presumably, if towels, laundry service, room service or other such hotel/motel amenities were provided, these losses could be taken as active trade or business losses. The taxpayers in this case were required to show the income or loss from this activity on Schedule C, had to treat it as passive, were not entitled to the $25,000 APRRE loss deduction and could only use these passive losses either against income from passive activities or, in the event the activity was disposed of, treat them as ordinary losses in the year of disposition.

The ruling raises some interesting issues and planning opportunities. First, if the APRRE loss allowance is important to taxpayers, they will need to structure their rental activities such that the average rental period is greater than seven days. It is sufficient that the average period be greater than seven days, even though a preponderance of the renters may use the condominium for less than seven days. If the taxpayers are successful in doing so, the losses would be deductible as APRRE losses. On the other hand, if the taxpayers would like to get active trade or business losses, they would need to keep the average rental period under eight days and provide significant services in the nature of those provided by a hotel/motel. How much additional activity is required is not clear; each set of circumstances will be different. The condominium in the ruling did have a swimming pool and other hotel-type amenities, but otherwise the renters were on their own. Presumably, if it was important enough, taxpayers could provide more than just cleaning and maintenance services. Converting this to an active trade or business loss could have many benefits, including the reduction of self-employment income. If this activity shows income, presumably there would be no difference between rental income and passive trade or business income. But if it made a difference to a taxpayer, structuring the rental periods for an average of seven days or less without providing additional services would provide passive trade or business income.

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
So if have a loss from a LP, I cannot offset that against the profit from my timeshare rental? Both being passive activity.

LP?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
To me it is inconsistent that you cannot take a loss for a rental of seven days or less, but you do have to claim it as income.

It's either a rental or not a rental, and if it's not a rental, you should not have to show it as income if you are not allowed to show a loss.

Why should the length of the rental have anything to do with whether you had a loss or not?
In my business I frequently advise clients on on how government rules apply to their business. I often hear much the same response - that doesn't make sense!!

My response is that we can talk about government rules or we can talk about common sense. But we can't talk about both of those at the same time.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Converting this to an active trade or business loss could have many benefits, including the reduction of self-employment income. If this activity shows income, presumably there would be no difference between rental income and passive trade or business income. But if it made a difference to a taxpayer, structuring the rental periods for an average of seven days or less without providing additional services would provide passive trade or business income.
But if they treat it as a business they will have to show that it is truly a business and not just being operated as a tax dodge. Which means that they must periodically show a profit or be ready to demonstrate that they are conducting activities typical of real business operation - business plan, marketing efforts, financial controls, separation of business and personal income, insurance coverage, etc.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
LP?

Limited Partnership - in this context one that generates a passive activity loss

uscav8r

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Limited Partnership - in this context one that generates a passive activity loss

At first blush, I would think like categories offset each other, but don’t take my word for it. You are wading into territory (mixing business and rentals, which are typically on different schedules) in which I have no experience and therefore cannot offer much of a reply.

I suggest a consultation with T_R_Oglodyte.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The IRS ruled that because the average rental period was seven days or less, under the regulations, this activity was not considered a rental activity at all.

That much is sufficient for me.

:cool:

But I don't see a sufficient explanation or reason as to why one would have to show income as income but not be allowed to show loss as loss.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
But I don't see a sufficient explanation or reason as to why one would have to show income as income but not be allowed to show loss as loss.
I believe the answer is that the whole area of generating writeoffs for personal property has historically been rife with abuse, and consumed inordinate amounts of time in audits and reviews. So the response was to simply remove the ability to wind up with a net loss.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
The IRS ruled that because the average rental period was seven days or less, under the regulations, this activity was not considered a rental activity at all.

That much is sufficient for me.

Unless you are a legal business you wouldn't need to provide profit or loss for renting out your timeshare, imo.

Bill

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Unless you are a legal business you wouldn't need to provide profit or loss for renting out your timeshare, imo. Bill

So, since I'm an illegal business, I'm OK.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Hey - go for it, what's the worst thing that could happen? :rolleyes: